What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canada v USA - Saturday 24th September (Toronto)

The Partisan

Our North American friends go into battle again this weekend.

(Truly hope i am saying this again about these two countries in 2050 !!!)

Source: USARL website

NEWS
Canada hosts US in deciding Americas Championship and game one of the Colonial Cup

September 22, 2016
rugby-league-americas-championship-usa-hawks.png

The USA Rugby League (USARL) Hawks takes on the Canada Wolverines Saturday, 24 September, at Lamport Stadium in Toronto, ON.

Source: Brian Cole| Rugby Wrap-up

The winner will be crowned victors in the inaugural Rugby League Americas’ Championship (RLAC), a three game tournament between USA, Canada and Jamaica. Both the Hawks and the Wolverines soundly defeated the Jamaica Reggae Warriors in July. Canada defeated Jamaica 38 to 2 on 17 July, with the Hawks beating the Reggae Warriors 54 to 4 one week later.

The game also represents game 1 of the Colonial Cup, a tournament that continues to build tradition and measures the progress of both these growing Rugby League nations. This year, 2016, marks the seventh year the two teams will battle for the Colonial Cup. Canada defeated the US in both Colonial Cup (CC) games last year, but the Hawks’ Coach and Captain feel confident going into the game at Toronto.

nick-newlin-usarl-hawks-03.jpg

Captain Nickolas Newlin had this to say about 2015’s defeats by the Wolverines: “I wouldn't say we were beat convincingly in last year’s Colonial Cup, as we had opportunities to win both games in the end."

When asked about how this year’s squad compares to 2015’s, Hawks Head Coach Dustin Cooper replied, “We are a more composed team with a clearer sense of direction [than in 2015]. Most of the squad have a number of international games under their belt now, so they know what’s expected of them individually and as a team.”

Captain Nickolas Newlin had this to say about 2015’s defeats by the Wolverines: “I wouldn’t say we were beat convincingly in last year’s Colonial Cup, as we had opportunities to win both games in the end. If not for some costly mistakes by some young and inexperienced players in international play, including myself. And I think that’s the biggest difference heading into the games with Canada this year.”

USARL also spoke with Jamie Lester, Head Coach for the Canada Wolverines. Lester had the following to say about Saturday’s game, “Given the close results from our three tests last year, I’d expect much the same this year. There will be some fireworks from the forwards and a number of players from both teams will be looking to impress at the international level. It promises to be a great series.”

USARL Hawks roster for Colonial Cup series
USARL-Hawks.png
Junior Vaivai fresh off representative duties for Country Rugby League in Australia returns partnering Matt Walsh in the halves. Taylor Howden who featured heavily at the 2015 Rugby League World Cup Qualifiers Americas rejoins a number of familiar faces and several newcomers all looking to impress selections leading up to the Rugby League World Cup 2017. The players’ names are listed alphabetically, along with their respective home clubs:

• Taylor Alley (Central Florida Warriors)
  • Luke Barron (White Plains Wombats)
  • Casey Clarke (Philadelphia Fight)
  • CJ Cortalano (New York Knights)
  • Joe Eichner (Jacksonville Axemen)
  • Gabriel Farley (Lindenwood University)
  • Rich Henson (Philadelphia Fight)
  • Taylor Howden (Ohio Rugby)
  • Andrew Kneisly (Philadelphia Fight)
  • Bart Longchamp (Central Florida Warriors)
  • Roman Lowery (Philadelphia Fight)
  • Craig MacKenzie (Boston 13s)
  • Nick Newlin (Atlanta Rhinos)
  • Jon Purnell (Jacksonville Axemen)
  • Zach Reichenbach (Philadelphia Fight)
  • Josh Rice (New York Knights)
  • Jon St John (Tampa Mayhem)
  • Junior Vaivai (Illawarra Devils/NSW Country RL Rep.)
  • Matt Walsh (White Plains Wombats)
USARL summarizes Colonial Cup history, dating back to 2010.
The USA defeated Canada 22 to 16 in September 2010’s inaugural Colonia Cup match. The game took place in Richardson Memorial Stadium at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario.

The following year, 2011, the USA and Canada Rugby League Association (CRLA) agreed to expand the Colonial Cup to a ‘home and away’ series. Each team won their home fixture; the USA won the first of the two games 18 to 2, with Canada securing their first win in the second match with an 18 to 16 win. However, the USA won the series by an overall aggregate score of 34-20.

In 2012, the Cup was again contested over 2 games, with the USA winning both games. In 2013, the series was expanded to a best 2 of 3 series. In 2014, Canada won its first ever Colonial Cup trophy. As mentioned earlier, in 2015, Canada defeated the US in both games, despite the Hawks’ home field advantage in Philadelphia, PA.

The Partisan

Can't remember his name ...but the Nbr 13 for the Delaware Black Foxes that i saw play against Philly Fight in the finals late July.......he could play ! Went off hurt at halftime ....but had been consistently breaking the line and just had skills.

Spoke with him after the game and told him exactly what i said above.

Burns

First Grade
Canada Facebook page said it wasn't possible after I asked. Oh well, hope for a good game.

Colonial cup and Americas cup are different but concurrent comps. Like the Bloodyslow and the rugby championship or whatever it's called.

Dakink

Bench
From the Canada Wolverines facebook page;

MATCH REVIEW: AMERICAS CHAMPIONSHIP

USA Hawks fly home to win Americas Championship!

The Canada Wolverines were playing their first home test match vs USA in 2 years and there was plenty on the line. After both Nations had scored victories over Jamaica, the inaugural Americas Championship trophy would go to the winner of this huge game! Not only was this at stake but first points advantage for the Colonial Cup in 2016 would come from this game. This was going to be a massive game for the fans as all players come out intent on winning the trophy!

As in all important games like this, the defensive work by both teams was very tough for the first ten minutes but there were some opportunities opened up by strong Wolverine forward Joel Hulett who made a number of half breaks but lacked support to finish off these opportunities. After 13 minutes Akarika Dawn for Canada took it upon himself to test the USA defence close to the tryline and powered over for a try to open the scoring. Steve Piatek missed the conversion but Canada had the early points. Through various reasons, including a poor short kicking game, the second 20 minutes of the first half saw Canada tackling for most of this period. USA had plenty of ball and tested the Wolverines defence but it never cracked and the rest of the first half remained scoreless. While Canada were happy to walk into the sheds at half time in front, there was plenty of energy burnt from all the tackling and the missed opportunities could come back to haunt them.

Canada came out on fire in the second half and were throwing everything at the Hawks but they remained patient and stopped any tries being scored until the 64th minute when robust Wolverine Prop Alex Boyd raced 40 metres towards the tryline after picking up the ball from a charge down and then being tackled ten metres out. Canada quickly threw the ball out wide for Kevin Gurniak to score a try in the corner. Steve Piatek missed the conversion from the corner so Canada had to be happy with the 8-0 lead. With only 15 minutes remaining this was going to be interesting and we didn't have to wait long for the Hawks to hit back! A pass that went out the back was scooped up by Hawk's full back Roman Lowrey who out paced the opposition to score in the corner after 68 minutes. The conversion was missed but you could see this gave the USA a huge boost and with only 5 minutes left on the clock a quick passing movement saw Hawk's centre Gabriel Farley race over for a try! With the scores locked at 8-8 the conversion was missed again so the scores remained locked. Officials were racing around to see what happened with the trophy if the scores were locked up at full time but there was no need for that discussion as USA Hawks speedster raced away from the Wolverines defence to score with just over a minute still on the clock! The USA Hawks had come from behind to score 3 tries in the last 12 minutes to win this game and the loss was devastating to the Wolverine players. To lead the whole match until the last 5 minutes was a big blow to a team that really didn't play that poorly but didn't take their opportunities. The USA Hawks showed a lot of belief and patience and fully deserved their victory over Canada!

Everything now turns to Eden Park in Delaware, USA to see if Canada can retain the Colonial Cup next Saturday. One thing for sure is that there is not much difference between these two teams so anything is possible and a -6 points difference is quite possible to reverses if Canada can lift their game and take their opportunities. This was a classic game with a fantastic finish so congratulations to the Americas Championship Winners in 2016!

Dakink

Bench
Correct me if Im wrong but I read on Facebook somewhere (Canada page maybe) that he lives there and qualified through residency. I may be totally off the mark but thats what I read. Ill see if I can find it.

deluded pom?

Coach
Correct me if Im wrong but I read on Facebook somewhere (Canada page maybe) that he lives there and qualified through residency. I may be totally off the mark but thats what I read. Ill see if I can find it.
He's married to a Canadian woman and has lived there for more than enough time to qualify on residency.

Dakink

Bench
Thanks for the confirmation Pom. Only have had the chance to watch the first 10 mins but both teams look well drilled