What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian RL Team to Join Uk Super League would a English team work in Australia

Pommy

Coach
The distance involved is too great to have teams coming out all the time. When PL teams come they say it really disrupts pre season due to the travel and jet lag. I think Manchester to Toronto is around 7 hours, Manchester to Sydney is pretty much 26 hours minimum.
The U.K. would show more of an interest in the NRL if the NRL took any time to market what is a brilliant product. But they have it on some obscure TV channel nobody has.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Maybe Perth should go back to its plan B and put a team in SL.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ay-play-in-english-league-20121110-294vr.html

Re NRL in uk isnt premier sports available on sky, virgin cable and Internet streaming? Would be nice if it was on a fta but RL has such a low profile that it never will be.

Interesting to see where NRL,is shown:
https://www.nrl.com/watchlive/watchoverseas/internationalbroadcast/tabid/10443/default.aspx

Yes it is available on premier sports but it's not included in the sports package. They would be better off in the long run taking less money from sky sports in the aim of trying to grow exposure. Only RL fans or someone else with a specific interest pays the extra for premier sports.

flippikat

Bench
Well i think we should give some credit to the RFL for trying to expand Rugby League on the world stage which can't be said for the NRL/ARL

Spot on.

Especially considering you have heartland rugby league regions - Central Coast, New Zealand outside of Auckland, Central Queensland - clamoring for a spot in the top competition, another heartland area (Brisbane) without a crosstown derby, and Perth - a city with a decent population, a new timezone for tv and an emerging production line of talent - continually being fobbed off.

Our administrators have NO VISION compared to those in the UK.

Pommy

Coach
Well i think we should give some credit to the RFL for trying to expand Rugby League on the world stage which can't be said for the NRL/ARL

Totally and enormous credit to the backer. I know he's rich but considering Toronto have to find all the teams travel and expenses to Canada over a season he is looking at a good investment with no certain outcome in terms of promotion.

mongoose

Coach
Isn't a Canadian team joining a lower division in the UK? the wolf pack or something

Leber

Bench
I went to a game in Toronto a few years back to see Canada V usa, and to my surprise there were 7000 people there.

I think this is feesable, but Id be worried about the distance

jim_57

Staff member
Shouldn't the SL expand to London first?

The Canadians have come up with their own proposal/funding to enter the British system at 3rd division. The RFL didn't gp to Canada door knocking for financial backers for a wild Canadian experiment. Basically the equivalent of a South African millionaire coming with a fully funded proposal for a team to enter NSW Cup (with the eventual goal of an NRL team).

Pommy

Coach
I went to a game in Toronto a few years back to see Canada V usa, and to my surprise there were 7000 people there.

I think this is feesable, but Id be worried about the distance

The distance to Manchester is slightly more than Perth to Auckland would be if that expansion ever happens.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Time zones would make it impossible to make money off....

If NRL was serious about trying a team in a crazy location; Jakata, Shezhen, Hongkong or Guangzhoa.

Edit: but in all of this its a pretty big case of "be careful what you wish for"....

If China or another economic power-house was to take fall in love with RL, they wouldnt be watching NRL, they would begin their own comp any buy all our best players.

We would become the BRL to their NSWRL/ARL....

Last edited:

RoosTah

Juniors
Time zones would make it impossible to make money off....

If NRL was serious about trying a team in a crazy location; Jakata, Shezhen, Hongkong or Guangzhoa.

Edit: but in all of this its a pretty big case of "be careful what you wish for"....

If China or another economic power-house was to take fall in love with RL, they wouldnt be watching NRL, they would begin their own comp any buy all our best players.

We would become the BRL to their NSWRL/ARL....

f**k all those places - put a team in Tokyo.

Massive city that has a GDP bigger than the whole UK on its own and the Japanese are in the midst of a ラグビーブーム ("Rugby Boom"), but don't really know quite what Rugby is.

Exploit their confusion about the difference between League and Union and get them hooked on the NRL. It's worked with my Japanese colleagues (not exploiting the confusion); one of our managers who came out from Japan last year spent the first 3 months by himself (family usually follows a little later) and got into the habit of watching Sunday NRL and absolutely loves it.

He got Rugby back in Japan, but prefers League now because it's faster and easier to understand. I took him to Origin last week and he loved it - already understands the difference between a high scoring and a high standard match very well.

All you'd need to do is get an NRL club to sign a promising Japanese winger or centre from their Top League in Union (they get paid pretty shit over there as Japanese nationals - all the big bickies generally go to imports) and make a big deal out of them in the NRL. You'd get Japanese media all over it, and then you could start taking exhibition games to Tokyo within a year.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
I think the NRL should try to put the national in to the name before they worry about Asia. That is unless some cashed up foreigner is fronting all the costs as is happening in Canada.

RoosTah

Juniors
I think the NRL should try to put the national in to the name before they worry about Asia. That is unless some cashed up foreigner is fronting all the costs as is happening in Canada.

Of course that should come first - just saying that if we were ever going to look to Asia in the next 10-20 Japan would be far and away the best bet.

jim_57

Staff member
Of course that should come first - just saying that if we were ever going to look to Asia in the next 10-20 Japan would be far and away the best bet.

Doesn't mean steps couldn't be taken towards it starting right now. IMO more should be done by clubs to grow their brand in the pre-season at least, exhibition games in places like Japan, China, South America, South Africa etc would be a good way to start. Maybe even have the WCC in a neutral venue each year.

If more clubs made the effort to raise their international profile then the flow on effect could be increased popularity of the sport in those countries and who knows what that could lead to in the medium to long term.

Pommy

Coach
Doesn't mean steps couldn't be taken towards it starting right now. IMO more should be done by clubs to grow their brand in the pre-season at least, exhibition games in places like Japan, China, South America, South Africa etc would be a good way to start. Maybe even have the WCC in a neutral venue each year.

If more clubs made the effort to raise their international profile then the flow on effect could be increased popularity of the sport in those countries and who knows what that could lead to in the medium to long term.

I can't see the WCC moving unless timing moves it currently takes place in the SL season so English teams won't want a long haul flight and NRL teams won't want to move it to before SL starts as it's the beginning of pre season.

RoosTah

Juniors

100% but rather than the WCC, I think it should be more targeted.

I've actually spoken with people from one club who've already floated the idea of taking matches to Tokyo with my work, but we told them for it to work it would be in their best interests to sign a Japanese player and make a bit of a big deal about him.

In terms of infrastructure, that shouldn't be too hard with Japan though - they have a strong development system for union, so you'd be looking to tap that.