What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra Raiders prop Paul Vaughan accepts St George Dragons' offer

SaintPauli

Juniors
Vaughan will be a positive signing.
Up front we are ready to go.
Frizz
Vaughan
Masoe ( hope ha can play a full season)
Sims
Packer
Jack D
Thompson
Leilua
Host
Leeson A ( did not play as well as 2015)

Also Hutch needs to be given a fair go as he has talent. Not like Mann earlier this season which was a joke from the coach and a confidence killer.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
O.T. I really don't believe that either Host nor Leilua are being overlooked .
What I do see when looking at the proposed packs are what others , in their opinion , are the strongest teams to put on the field .

Yes , Masoe has not played for well over 12 - 18 months , however IF fully fit he is one of the most damaging runners in the game , not to mention one of the biggest hitters .
Next season we need to make some early competition points , if we have any hope of getting anywhere .

Both Leilua and Host will certainly have more game time next year , both players are , as we realise , good young players with great attributes and can only get better , I don't believe for a moment that either one has been forgotten , they will have their opportunity,
either through injury or because they are considered to be the better player that the team needs .

Belta

Juniors
Agree that Vaughan will be another good addition, we should have plenty of go forward, given what we've already got and especially if mose delivers, and yeah I'm sure host will feature next year as he was awesome in first grade this year. Also hanging for confirmation on Leilua, more go forward in theory should create time and space for our attack, maybe hutch will take on the line a bit once his confidence grows

Belta

Juniors
Agree most posts have Leeson in their starting pack and in 2015 he would be the first picked, he needs to rediscover that form or be dropped imo

I'm loving the forwards rotation for next year, although I think i'd start with this..
8. Packer
10. Sims
11. Thompson
12. Leilua
13. Frizell
Bench: Mose, Vaughan, JDB, Ah Mau/Kerr/Host/Sele/Wakeman.

I think Frizell showed enough in Origin that he will be a hugely successful lock. The more he gets his hands on the ball the better. He runs harder than most forwards in the comp, we'll need his go forward in the middle, he's excellent on the edge no doubt but he's phenomenal in the middle.
Leilua may not stay
Wakeman won't be signing with the Dragons
Kerr will see little to no first grade

This signing really makes no sense when you still need a 7.

They could have given Nona a year deal yet even JD could no convince the club to keep him around.

Wait till poor Hutchison gets hung out to dry by Widdop he will get slaughtered in here.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We sign Vaughan and plenty of posts appear re the team and Host's name not mentioned.
People have Leilua (not signed) and Masoe (not played for a year) ahead of a young bloke who has done everything asked of him as well as blokes who had pretty lacklustre performances in 2016.
You blokes have to be kidding as you express all year give the youngsters a go and at the first opportunity you ditch one of the very players who is giving his all to the club.
No wonder we get what the club dishes out when the fans are so fickle.

The problem OT is that we have 18 forwards to fit 10 positions, unfortunately 8 will miss out and will have to play for the Cutters. Most probably Sele and Kerr will be 2 that will need at least another season in the reggies, and McCarthy and Lui are most probably seen as reserve graders in any case.
Packer, Friz, Thompson, Vaughan and Sims would be seen as definite starters along with McInnis.
So that would leave: Host, Matthews, Masoe, JDB, LAM, Havili, Marketo and Leilua (??) to fill the remaining 4 spots.
There are many questions to be answered like:
Do we need a back-up hooker who could also play as a forward? then Havili or Marketo would fill that role.
Do we need to have 4 props in the team?

Masoe would have to be given his chance, especially in the first few rounds, to prove he is an damaging as predicted.
LAM and JDB are the current incumbents. LAM captained Samoa recently and JDB was the legends player of the year. although I believe they both had a poor year.

For me Host is the most likely to succeed at NRL level and needs to be fitted into the squad somewhere, but where and at whose expense? I suppose the answer lies with McInnis, TBH. If McInnis can play 80 minutes then we do not need a bench back-up, so this is where Host would fit in IMO.

My starting forwards for 2017 would be:
Props - LAM, Packer
2nd Row - Friz/JDB, Thompson
Lock - JDB/Friz
Hooker - McInnis

Bench - Vaughan, Masoe, Sims and Host

I think this would give us both size and mobility, even through interchange, which is an area where we lost a lot of impetus this year.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
The problem OT is that we have 18 forwards to fit 10 positions, unfortunately 8 will miss out and will have to play for the Cutters. Most probably Sele and Kerr will be 2 that will need at least another season in the reggies, and McCarthy and Lui are most probably seen as reserve graders in any case.
Packer, Friz, Thompson, Vaughan and Sims would be seen as definite starters along with McInnis.
So that would leave: Host, Matthews, Masoe, JDB, LAM, Havili, Marketo and Leilua (??) to fill the remaining 4 spots.
There are many questions to be answered like:
Do we need a back-up hooker who could also play as a forward? then Havili or Marketo would fill that role.
Do we need to have 4 props in the team?

Masoe would have to be given his chance, especially in the first few rounds, to prove he is an damaging as predicted.
LAM and JDB are the current incumbents. LAM captained Samoa recently and JDB was the legends player of the year. although I believe they both had a poor year.

For me Host is the most likely to succeed at NRL level and needs to be fitted into the squad somewhere, but where and at whose expense? I suppose the answer lies with McInnis, TBH. If McInnis can play 80 minutes then we do not need a bench back-up, so this is where Host would fit in IMO.

My starting forwards for 2017 would be:
Props - LAM, Packer
2nd Row - Friz/JDB, Thompson
Lock - JDB/Friz
Hooker - McInnis

Bench - Vaughan, Masoe, Sims and Host

I think this would give us both size and mobility, even through interchange, which is an area where we lost a lot of impetus this year.

I agree with most of what you have said, and I like your starting pack based on what we have/might be getting in Vaughan.
The only think I don't agree with is the claim that JDB had a bad year. He ran for the most metres out of the forwards and made the most tackles. A middle player that has the ability to play 80 minutes is an asset. I don't particularly like the way he is used as a suedo Graham-esque halfback sometimes. But he gets through a lot of work and his stats back that up.

The players at risk next year of possible demotion are Thompson, Leeson and Marketo. I like Thompson but he hasn't performed that well this year and plays very light in a day and age where most centres are in his range.Host or Leilua (if he stays) will be putting him under immense pressure. Marketo speaks for himself, solid player but not big or powerful enough to provide impact off the bench. And finally Leeson is at risk because his output simply isn't good enough and can be improved upon by others.

My first pack in 2017 would be as follows

8. Packer
9. Mcinnis
10. Vaughan
11. Thompson (for now)
12. Friz
13. JDB

14. Sims
15. Masoe
16. Host
17. Havili (can cover hooker and middle forward and was heaps impressed by his finals form with the cutters)

My 2017 Pack is:

Packer
McInnes
Vaughan
Sims
Frizell
Host

Masoe/LAM
Leilua
JDB
Thompson

Host is capable of playing in the middle or on fringe

Leilua has the skill to unload in traffic and is therefore a must in the 17

JDB and LAM will need to lift if they are to compete for starting spots.

Cannot see Havili or Marketo challenging for top 17 spot unless McInnes struggles to play 80 minutes

Matthews from disappointing this year.

Injuries will of course turn our predictions upside down long before the finish

BennyV

Referee
We sign Vaughan and plenty of posts appear re the team and Host's name not mentioned.
People have Leilua (not signed) and Masoe (not played for a year) ahead of a young bloke who has done everything asked of him as well as blokes who had pretty lacklustre performances in 2016.
You blokes have to be kidding as you express all year give the youngsters a go and at the first opportunity you ditch one of the very players who is giving his all to the club.
No wonder we get what the club dishes out when the fans are so fickle.
Yeah, I'd have Host in there over quite a few others, kid has a huge future; better than Leilua IMO.
However, it's about balance. We need 4 props, 4 backrowers (2 edge, 1 lock, 1 benchie) and a reserve hooker (who can preferably cover several positions - Havili should get it, McCrone would be serviceable, will probably be Jake Plod-keto).

IMO, Host is pure backrow, preferably on the edge. So Host should definitely be taking that reserve bench spot, unless they want JDB to go back to prop (if Ah Mau or Mose don't get there).

So yes, Host should be there, but the requirement for another dominant, first-grade ready prop shouldnt impact thay.

rasaint

Juniors
Happy to add Vaughan but at over $550k a season? I just don't get it. I'm miffed with this. Russell Packer is on $300k by reports and Vaughan gets almost double and we are still hoping to find a half, and already paying a fullback $700k whose star has long faded. Holy Moley

MattoDragon

Juniors
Agreed re the forwards, I think Hutch might surprise with proper coaching. The blocks are all in place let's see what happens.
I will agree with you if you can tell me where he's likely to get "proper coaching" at our club. McGregor will start him game 1, we will lose 2 straight, the kid is dumped back to the Cutters. That's the only "proper coaching" he can expect from our excuse for a coach that we have to endure for another year.

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
$1.75 mill for three seasons for a fringe first grader, yet to really establish himself as a dominant NRL forward.....
This guy better have a stellar season, because with that price tag for a prop hanging over his head the pressure will be on very quickly to perform.
It won't take long before fans start to scrutinise him as another poor signing if he doesn't perform .....

I wonder did the new performance committee sign off on this one?

MattoDragon

Juniors
If Mary delegates and gets help we will have a good year.
Hewi, are you serious? McGregor had JD, our offensive coach, in the box each week. Do you honestly believe he listened to him? JD has won a Premiership with the Cowboys, as Paul Green's offensive assistant coach. He's won the NSW Cup and the Interstate Championship with the Cutters, and you saw how they played. He's a guy who knows how to coach teams in offense. There is no way McGregor was working and consulting with him during last season. McGregor listens to know one, he consults no one, he delegates to no one, that's why he is a failure as a coach.
I feel sorry for Hutch. McGregor doesn't want him, he virtually said as much in an interview. So the kid will be gone the moment the team fails, and I give that 2 rounds.

MattoDragon

Juniors
Yeah, I'd have Host in there over quite a few others, kid has a huge future; better than Leilua IMO.
However, it's about balance. We need 4 props, 4 backrowers (2 edge, 1 lock, 1 benchie) and a reserve hooker (who can preferably cover several positions - Havili should get it, McCrone would be serviceable, will probably be Jake Plod-keto).

IMO, Host is pure backrow, preferably on the edge. So Host should definitely be taking that reserve bench spot, unless they want JDB to go back to prop (if Ah Mau or Mose don't get there).

So yes, Host should be there, but the requirement for another dominant, first-grade ready prop shouldnt impact thay.
Re-signing Marketo was a huge mistake. I know he wouldn't be on big bucks but when you look at the talent we have in the forwards, why spend the money on him? Some of that money could be thrown at Leilua to ensure we do keep him.
McGregor showed his intentions in the last few games, when Marketo was starting games at dummy half, which was a failure. Yet, the moment the season is over, he's our first re-signing. Does this mean McInnes (who, imo, is a worse dummy half than Mitch Rein) will start as hooker and then be subbed by Marketo? What a waste of a bench spot.
Once again it shows how inept our recruitment and our coaching is.

Reactions: Qdf

MattoDragon

Juniors
Vaughan will be a positive signing.
Up front we are ready to go.
Frizz
Vaughan
Masoe ( hope ha can play a full season)
Sims
Packer
Jack D
Thompson
Leilua
Host
Leeson A ( did not play as well as 2015)

Also Hutch needs to be given a fair go as he has talent. Not like Mann earlier this season which was a joke from the coach and a confidence killer.
Your comment about Kurt Mann is so true. He was made the scapegoat for that poor "team" performance against the sharks. imo the Dugan to centre, Mann at fullback would have worked if it was given a fair go. Look how well Mann performed when he came back. I know he was on the wing, but he made plenty of try-saving tackles, defused bombs with ease and if I'm not mistaken, was our top tryscorer even after missing a good part of the season either injured or playing with the Cutters.
Hutch has to be given a minimum 8 games to show his worth. But McGregor doesn't want him and he will shaft him the moment he can.