What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canterbury-Bankstown - returning to BELMORE!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Bulldogs are coming home

THE blue and white army will today receive the best news they've had all season: their beloved Bulldogs are headed back to Belmore.
We can reveal that CEO Todd Greenberg will this morning join federal politicians at the club's spiritual kennel to announce a $5 million funding package that will return the Bulldogs home in time for next season.

Canterbury plan to spend the money on state-of-the-art training and administrative facilities that surpass their current set-up at Sydney Olympic Park. And in even better news for Bulldogs fans, the board is still chasing further public funding to update the grandstand and possibly allow for future NRL games to be staged at the old ground for the first time since 1998.

"Ever since the new board was elected, they've made it a priority to get back to Belmore," a Bulldogs source told us. "I reckon Todd [Greenberg] has been talking to the Federal Government for 18 months about funding and now it's finally been approved.

"But they don't want to stop there. They still want money from the State Government and [Canterbury] council that might allow games to be played at Belmore again."

It is understood a further $10-15 million would be needed to bring the dilapidated venue up to NRL standard.

But for now, Canterbury are at least poised to be based there forever, with a lease in the vicinity of 25 years set to be signed.

Under the terms of their lease, the Bulldogs will make Belmore available for home games staged by Sydney Olympic Soccer Club.

Olympic officials will also attend the 11.30am press conference, along with Federal ministers Anthony Albanese and Tony Bourke.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldogs-are-coming-home/story-e6frexnr-1225869411645

MatthewA

Juniors
Awesome news. The best I've heard for ages.

Shows why Todd is the games best CEO. He has fought so hard, a long with others, to get this going.

MatthewA

Juniors
Here's a picture of the redevelopment plan.

00007251-image.jpg

Bulldog Force

Referee
Here's a picture of the redevelopment plan.

00007251-image.jpg
Very concept and slick looking arena. Love the modern design. Looks like the hill has gone though from that design. Might build either a miniature grandstand in it's place or create a new one (new hill, that is).

Todd Greenberg... deadset you are leaving me speechless lol. I can commend you a million times over and that still wouldn't be enough :D

gsweeper

Juniors
surely another 10 million wouldn't be out of reach, it would be so good to go watch footy at belmore

Bulldog Force

Referee
10 million for 2 games. Wooooo!!! awesome idea...NOT!!!
You gotta start somewhere. 2 games? It's only the NRL games that you're talking about... keep in mind there are also Sydney Olympic FC games held there, local school districts, the clubs training and administrative facilities, and the long-term home playing ground of the club. It would be nice to see them train there again, rather than at Silverwater.

nqcowboy87

Bench
just saw it on the leaguehq.com, great news, that branighan guy whos been campainging for almost 6 years must be proud as punch. its completely feasible that once this is up and running and the dogs can get an extra bit of money to add a couple of features that it would be nrl standard. i mean the concept art is of a higher standard than brookvale. and i dont think the hills gone its just an odd picture thats all, but they have gotten rid off the small shed like stand that backed onto the laneway next to the trainlines, last time i went there that area was strangled by vines

Bulldog Force

Referee
just saw it on the leaguehq.com, great news, that branighan guy whos been campainging for almost 6 years must be proud as punch. its completely feasible that once this is up and running and the dogs can get an extra bit of money to add a couple of features that it would be nrl standard. i mean the concept art is of a higher standard than brookvale. and i dont think the hills gone its just an odd picture thats all, but they have gotten rid off the small shed like stand that backed onto the laneway next to the trainlines, last time i went there that area was strangled by vines
:lol: Dude you must mean Luke Brailey. I think you're confusing him with Zapp from Futurama :D

nqcowboy87

Bench
i cant seem to get the video of the annoucment to work on the dogs site or bigpond, has anyone else had a problem

Tyler Durden

Juniors
very good - never ceases to amaze how much funding suddenly becomes available to marginal seats during an election year.