What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captains challenge

simmo05

Bench
I heard on the radio today that greencock has squashed the captains challenge because in 2016 it was tried once and the coaches knocked it back.

Does that sit right anyone? Wouldnt the coaches be the last ones whose opinion you sought? These same blokes voted to change the rule interpretations to allow for longer holding down in tackles after the tigers won in 05. Now who is enjoying wrestlemania?

Eion

First Grade
Gus on 100% footy said Nathan Brown was one of the coaches and he said the nrl never even asked him how it went!

I like the captains challenge. It has worked in cricket and tennis.

The best things about it are it speeds the game up and shares responsibility for bad calls with captains...which is why I dare say this may not get great support from coaches.

nick87

Coach
Gus on 100% footy said Nathan Brown was one of the coaches and he said the nrl never even asked him how it went!

I like the captains challenge. It has worked in cricket and tennis.

The best things about it are it speeds the game up and shares responsibility for bad calls with captains...which is why I dare say this may not get great support from coaches.

i agree, it spreads the responsibility of blame if nothing else

Run out of challenges? you can always attribute some of that to the captain coach who f**ked up the previous ones
Got a rough call that wasn't challenged? That's on YOUR teams captain or coach.

It wont solve the problems. But it will limit the impacts

King hit

Coach
I still believe people would turn against if it was implanted. Just imagine unlimited challenges with someone like Gallen or Smith vigraiously debating every call that goes against them. And it’s not 100% perfect in cricket, there has been some controversial incidents with it.

nick87

Coach
I still believe people would turn against if it was implanted. Just imagine unlimited challenges with someone like Gallen or Smith vigraiously debating every call that goes against them. And it’s not 100% perfect in cricket, there has been some controversial incidents with it.
I dont think anyone is suggesting unlimted challenges

It would be 2 or 3, at the most, over the course of a game... i'd go headlong with the NFL rule...2 challenges per game, and a 3rd if you successfully go 2/2

ReddFelon

Juniors
I don't need a captains challenge, I just want referees with the balls to make decisions and tell any players that get in their face to take a walk. That and a crackdown that actually lasts on slowing down the ruck and playing the ball correctly. An advantage rule would be nice too, and the Super League windmill thing.

Chook Norris

First Grade
I'm all for it. It should significantly reduce the amount of decisions that go to the bunker. Which is the result that everyone seems to want.

It would also place less onus on video referees but more on the players to challenge correctly. Again this is desirable. People want referees having less influence and players dictating outcomes.

However, I suspect given the amount the NRL has invested In the bunker, they won't do this.. even if the entire world wanted it.

simmo05

Bench
Anything that limits the usage of the video ref. Id make it one challenge per half for the play leading up to a try only, or something very similar. It cannot be unlimited challenges, that would ruin it.

Imagine a senario where both team blew it in the first ten minutes and there was just uninterrupted footy for the next seventy minutes!

Jimmy Clark

Juniors
So the captain challenges, replay shows the captain is correct, the bunker f**k it up & overturn it.

More room for error if you ask me.

simmo05

Bench
It is about limiting the amount of stoppages there are for video review. That is why there are no footballers anymore, why front rowers can play 80 minutes. There would have to be ten minutes a game where everyone is getting a rest

Coaching is why there are less footballers. And Gould's Wazzaball variation we have been playing for 25-30 years has certainly helped reduce them. He has some hide whining about it.

carcharias

Immortal
Common sense would be a better idea.
Ref uses common sense.
Not blaming the ref on a rule loophole for losing would be a nice change.

Meth

Staff member
I think it's a shame that we even need to think about this.

We had one referee and two touch judges. Sometimes calls went against. Other times they went for you. Sometimes there were howlers.

We introduced video referees to address the howlers.

We added an extra referee.

We have bulked up the video referee to a bunker.

It seems to me that the more we introduce to address the howler, the more howlers we are having.

Who is to say that a captain's challenge won't just be another measure that has the opposite effect to that for which it was intended? I take the point that it puts some power into the players' hands and there's plenty of times when the players are pleading, but powerless to force a referee to revise his decision. And I hate to sound like a luddite....but I really do wonder if we need to reduce the presence of officialdom on the park in order to minimize their impact.

shaggs

Coach
How the f**k would a captain decide to challenge.? They can’t even decide to kick a penalty goal without looking at the coaches box.

If this comes in there needs to be a time limit. 15-30 seconds. Replays must be unavailable in the coaches box until the time has elapsed. Otherwise there will be the guy with his laptop that waves a blue flag for challenge and a red for don’t.

I don't remember feeling more disillusioned with the game and the way it is being administered and officiated than I do right now.
With every second article being written about it, largely by idiots who know nothing of the game pre NRL, I'm not surprised. Doesn't make it correct.

Latest posts