What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carbs

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

roopy

Referee
:lol::lol::lol:

I can!!!

It's like watching Professor Julius Sumner-Miller V's Norman Bates.

Bates is doing well but he has a knife.
Let's sum up.

Valderon put up a list that states recommended foods for weight loss include white chocolate and milo milkshakes, while foods to be avoided include carrots and wholemeal bread.

I called this bullsh*t.

Valderon swears till he is blue in the face that his list is correct and backed by the finest research, and anyone questioning it should be vilified.

Thomas posts an article that examines the research methods used to compile Valderon's list, and points out many flaws in the methods used.

Valderon declares the article supports his list, and also declares he is very clever and should never be questioned by mere mortals.

Dutchy declares his love for Valderon, and also his high opinion of himself.

I suppose, now that i am defeated and have been told to know my place in life, the only thing left for me to do is to start my new weight loss regime of a big block of white chocolate washed down with lashings of Milo milkshakes. It's not all bad.

Thomas

First Grade
I rode my bike to work this morning. Woo-ee. Talk about sweat. My gooch is a veritable lake.

Just thought I'd get this thread back on track.

Now, who wants to know about my rash?

Shorty

Staff member
An interesting article on how exercising doesn't help you necesarily help you lose weight.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html
That's rediculous I'm not even going to bother looking at it.
This is not an article that is supported by anyone in the industry.

The internationally respected ACSM are in the process of providing a rebuttle response to it.

The article itself is grossly incorrect. It completely ignores the evolutionary human genome; and it's relationship with weight fluctuations, and chronic diseases that follow.
Pretty much.

I come across so many people that believe in the 'no carbs after 3pm, 5pm or 6pm etc etc'.
50% or so of your daily intake is supposed to be carbs (as I'm sure has been said).
It's got more to do with portion control and the level of activity you're doing at that time of the day.

JoeD

First Grade
That's rediculous I'm not even going to bother looking at it.

Good attitude that. If an article reports something i don't believe i won't read it.

I've posted 2 articles with a similar theme that quote different published studies. The articles basically say that exercise's influence on weight loss is massively overstated. Thats not a reason to be lazy though because there are many other benefits to keeping fit apart from losing weight.

Valderon

Juniors
The articles basically say that exercise's influence on weight loss is massively overstated.

That isn't correct though.

The influence of exercise on weight loss is not overstated.

Rather, the value people place on their weight scales in relation to the effectiveness of their programs is overstated.

The quality of body composition and body mass is the important point (not to mention how we look and feel); though a persons weight is one of many collaborative measures used as indicators of both health and fitness outcomes.

Thomas

First Grade
So very true.

One of the most disheartening things I found was working out and eating (reasonably) well for a couple months and not seeing a huge loss in weight. I was staring at the scales going "Gnnnnnnnwtf!"

Then I started noticing that my pants were looser. I've dropped down a size. Tight shirts are looser and I can see some muscle definition. Given the type of exercise I was doing I was obviously losing fat but putting on muscle.

Now I want to keep losing fat and not put on as much muscle.

This means running, right? Lots of running and cardio.

Fack.

Shorty

Staff member
Good attitude that. If an article reports something i don't believe i won't read it.

I've posted 2 articles with a similar theme that quote different published studies. The articles basically say that exercise's influence on weight loss is massively overstated. Thats not a reason to be lazy though because there are many other benefits to keeping fit apart from losing weight.
Yeah I might have a read, but it goes against everything I've learned through study and with results of my clients.
It's not uncommon for that to happen.
Hang on, is exercise overstated? The other post of yours pointed to it being almost irrelevent.

A few things from looking at it is;
She's mentioning cardiovascular/aerobic activity....weight training increases your metabolic rate and the techniques of aerobic working out are still being argued.

She mentions drinking gatorade/powerade, which is designed for athletes, who do copious amounts of high intensity exercise not 45 minute work outs on the stair master.

It's argued for evolutionary purposes, well, I'm sure we didn't evolve to sit and watch tv/use computer or player video games for hours at a time either.
Why has the world become fatter over the last 30 years?
Cause the diet's certainly changed but then so have activity levels...

It's also not uncommon to gain weight during your quest for weight loss, doing that sort of activity is going to have muscle gain and then that all depends on metabolism/ethnicity/family history.

And then she concludes by saying she'll skip the exercise and the blueberry muffin as a treat after.
Post work out diet isn't supposed to be a spike releasing carb...

Maybe the other one is a bit more professional?

Valderon

Juniors
:cool: Well said Shorty :cool:

Thomas - You can always take up swimming or cycling, if running is one of those activities that you hate.... I know I personally prefer swimming!

Sir Biffo

Bench
Unfortunatley for Thomas running is probably the most effective form of burning calories. A 1 hr run will burn waaaaaaayyyyy more calories than a 1 hr ride (unless you are doing a 40km TT or something extremely intense for the hour on the bike).

Swimming and riding will help, but I know when I did a marathon preparation last year I dropped about 3 kilos which went straight back on as soon as I went back into triathlon mode ...

Thomas

First Grade
Yeah, running it is for me. I used to love running when I was a younger lad. I'd think nothing of waking up and trotting out a 10km run in 45-50 minutes. Now...a completely different story.

I'm alternating with riding to work. Its 17kms each way and the ride home is a hard slog up hill.

Swimming? Bores the crap out of me. I can't stand it.

Sir Biffo

Bench
The good thing swimming has going for it (especially in winter) is your body expends a lot more energy trying to keep warm! It's also very useful for toning your upper body if you don't have a specific gym program for it.

But no amount of running/excercising will burn off weight if your diet is crap!

Thomas

First Grade
My diet could be better but currently I am watching the amount of fat and sugar I eat as well as cutting down on the grog.

When my lady was pregnant she didn't drink (dur) and I abstained during the week as well. I dropped a couple of kgs and wasn't even exercising hard.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm bulking up for the upcoming footy season so carbs are my best friend atm. I'm literally doing 500-600g carbs daily from things like rolled oats, wholemeal bread, pasta, rice and sweet potato, its ridiculous how much I'm eating but its got to be done when your training 5-6 days a week

JoeD

First Grade
Hang on, is exercise overstated?
Due to my personal experience I believe so and so do others who have done published studies.
The other post of yours pointed to it being almost irrelevent.
which post?
She's mentioning cardiovascular/aerobic activity....weight training increases your metabolic rate and the techniques of aerobic working out are still being argued.
the common belief is plenty of cardio work will help you lose weight
She mentions drinking gatorade/powerade, which is designed for athletes, who do copious amounts of high intensity exercise not 45 minute work outs on the stair master.
Yet virtually every gym (let alone gas station/supermarket/convenience store) is selling the stuff. I had no idea there were enough elite atheletes around to warrant such high volumes of the stuff.

It's also not uncommon to gain weight during your quest for weight loss, doing that sort of activity is going to have muscle gain and then that all depends on metabolism/ethnicity/family history.
So what you're saying is, exercise won't necesarily help you lose weight? Isn't that what i said?

And then she concludes by saying she'll skip the exercise and the blueberry muffin as a treat after.
Post work out diet isn't supposed to be a spike releasing carb...
But it is for a lot of people.

Shorty

Staff member
Due to my personal experience I believe so and so do others who have done published studies.
Others have personal experience that isn't overstated, as do other studies....so what does that prove?
Um by who? If you ask a health professional they will tell you that a balance of exercise and diet helps you lose weight and stress that resistance training is needed.
It's never just cardio, that is a misconception.
Yet virtually every gym (let alone gas station/supermarket/convenience store) is selling the stuff. I had no idea there were enough elite atheletes around to warrant such high volumes of the stuff.
Really? I've never seen gaterade sold in gyms, it's usually protein shakes/supplements and water
:?

So you're blaming the fact that the stuff is readily available on the fact that you didn't actually look at the back of the label and to see what the actual purpose of the stuff is.
QuickEaze is readily available everywhere as well, is it the companies fault if people buy it assuming it's gum instead of it actually being heartburn relief?

What about the marketing of these drinks, do you see 30 something women on a treadmill having a gaterade? I'd been under the impression it's advertised with footballers, soccer players etc...
So what you're saying is, exercise won't necesarily help you lose weight? Isn't that what i said?
No I never said that, and you basically ignored all I said about this subject.
But it is for a lot of people.
So what? You won't hear any decent personal trainer or exercise physiologist telling you that it's appropriate.
What you're saying is....exercise isn't going to matter if you eat crap and give up because you expect to lose 10 kg in a week by running on the treadmill for 20 minutes and don't f**k all weights and drinking a fluid that is designed for much more exercise.
Well thanks for the scoop:roll:

Valderon

Juniors

Ridiculous .. What "published studies" ?

Online internet articles have no credibility in the real world. Your personal experiences, and the online articles you've produced are primarily speculative opinion.

As Shorty has stated; most professionals (including personal trainers) encourage resistance training as the key tool in weight loss. Aerobic training is a supportive tool in the process, and will help strengthen the heart (ie: reduce cardiovascular health risk); however, it's not the foundation of weight loss.

JoeD

First Grade
Others have personal experience that isn't overstated, as do other studies....so what does that prove?
That everyone is different and that people respond differently to different regimes.
ie. for some people exercise won't necesarily help you lose weight. Which is what i've said from the beginning.
It's never just cardio, that is a misconception
Yeah, that was my point, it is a common misconception.
OK start again with this, are you saying some people put on weight when they start to exercise?
You won't hear any decent personal trainer or exercise physiologist telling you that it's appropriate.
I think you're missing the point. Alot of people don't consult personal trainers and physiologists. Alot of people go to the gym a few times a week and then reward themselves with a powerade or something else.

JoeD

First Grade
Online internet articles have no credibility in the real world. Your personal experiences, and the online articles you've produced are primarily speculative opinion.
Did you even read them? They quoted from studies published in The British Journal of Sports Medicine and a study conducted by University of Colorado School of Medicine.

Latest posts