What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CC Bears Should take Legal Action

Goddo

Bench
Interesting on the game plan last night they briefly touched on expansion - Ben Ikin and Mad Dog both said they saw Brisbane and Perth as the best options for all the reasons stated already - TV timeslots, size of Brisbane market with only one side, et cetera...

Only person who voiced a case against Brisbane II was a recording of Alfie from Monday, where he said he was against any new teams in South East Queensland - bit hard to take him seriously where he has a lot of self interest in maintaining the Broncos market share.

ccr

Interesting on the game plan last night they briefly touched on expansion - Ben Ikin and Mad Dog both said they saw Brisbane and Perth as the best options for all the reasons stated already - TV timeslots, size of Brisbane market with only one side, et cetera...

Only person who voiced a case against Brisbane II was a recording of Alfie from Monday, where he said he was against any new teams in South East Queensland - bit hard to take him seriously where he has a lot of self interest in maintaining the Broncos market share.

One could also argue that mad dog being a newcastle lad would be on the anti-cc bandwagon being so close to newcastle.

dgsfan

Juniors
Again, big bullshit call with zero backup - just like "not enough decent players in the NRL".

If rugby league was a decent, professionally run business, then the CC Bears would have been appreciated and supported - not continually cheated for 12 years.

However, the expansion decision is likely to be made in favour of which good ol' boy needs a job and some extra income - not what's best for the game.

How is that different to the usual bullshit that Bears fans spit out? Where's the proof that the Bears were the 2nd most watched team in the 90s? Bulshit!

Brutus

Referee
Greg Florimo on Talkin Sport after the break to talk about his latest meeting with Gallop.

RHCP

Bench
What do Newcastle lose?

Apart from Aku (Woy Woy) I can't remember the last CC junior that played in our first grade side, and just because they're geographically close doesn't mean that the Bears would poach our juniors anymore than another side.

We'd get a great rivalry out of it as well, there's already hostility between the two areas.

From a Newcastle perspective I think this would actually be the best bid team, Perth and Brisbane II just create an extra long away trip.

Beowulf

Juniors
What do Newcastle lose?

Apart from Aku (Woy Woy) I can't remember the last CC junior that played in our first grade side, and just because they're geographically close doesn't mean that the Bears would poach our juniors anymore than another side.

We'd get a great rivalry out of it as well, there's already hostility between the two areas.

From a Newcastle perspective I think this would actually be the best bid team, Perth and Brisbane II just create an extra long away trip.

Am sure Tinkler will see it that way also - he can leverage the Jets-Mariners rivalry into a winter version Knights v Bears and ensure sellouts at both games. Plus its a cheap road trip away as you say.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Heard Florimo on talkin sport, Greame doesn't seem to rate their chances at all.

I was interested to hear Flo say it is the IC board who have the sole decision on expansion, I had the impression the clubs would have significant influence over this??

Maybe we will see an in depth plan for the league, say expansion to 20 teams by 2020 put out there by the IC, that way we could have WA, BNE II, CCB + 1 staggered over a decade.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Heard Florimo on talkin sport, Greame doesn't seem to rate their chances at all.

I was interested to hear Flo say it is the IC board who have the sole decision on expansion, I had the impression the clubs would have significant influence over this??

Maybe we will see an in depth plan for the league, say expansion to 20 teams by 2020 put out there by the IC, that way we could have WA, BNE II, CCB + 1 staggered over a decade.
Every part of that sounds nice, and would be the right way to do things. Fingers crossed, but I advise against anyone holding their breath.

My ideal situation would be:

Bears - 2014
WA - 2015
Bris2 - 2017/18
Adelaide/Wellington - 2019/20

It would create a proper NATIONAL Rugby League comp, undo one of the last wrongs of rationalisation yet to be undone, and set the stage for a whopper of a tv rights deal (the one after the next one). Hopefully the IC is upto it.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Central Coast before Perth is dumb. Perth should be next in line.
It's going to take longer for Perth to build a squad than CC. Convincing players to go an hour up the highway is a lot easier than moving their entire life/family across a continent. The deeper they're brought in into the new tv deal the more money they'll have to spend (the cap will be increased gradually, not over night).

The Bears, being the safer and local option would be best suited to being brought in first while WA would have the most to gain from an extra year on the sideline.

If expansion was planned holistically by the IC, this is how it would be done.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
My ideal keeps changing but here it is.

2014 - WA
2015 - Heartland bid (expect Central Queensland)
2020 - Adelaide
2021 - Wellington/Central Queensland? Papua New Guinea.

Mong

Post Whore
It's going to take longer for Perth to build a squad than CC. Convincing players to go an hour up the highway is a lot easier than moving their entire life/family across a continent. The deeper they're brought in into the new tv deal the more money they'll have to spend (the cap will be increased gradually, not over night).

The Bears, being the safer and local option would be best suited to being brought in first while WA would have the most to gain from an extra year on the sideline.

If expansion was planned holistically by the IC, this is how it would be done.

What is the point of expanding the game an hour or so up the road from where numerous other clubs already are?

That is a very shortsighted proposal

bobmar28

Bench
Every part of that sounds nice, and would be the right way to do things. Fingers crossed, but I advise against anyone holding their breath.

My ideal situation would be:

Bears - 2014
WA - 2015
Bris2 - 2017/18
Adelaide/Wellington - 2019/20

It would create a proper NATIONAL Rugby League comp, undo one of the last wrongs of rationalisation yet to be undone, and set the stage for a whopper of a tv rights deal (the one after the next one). Hopefully the IC is upto it.

Meanwhile the AFL powers ahead. Expansion must happen now. WA Reds 2013, Ipswich Jets 2014.