What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And what happens if the Knights aren't sold by late 2018???

They were hoping to sell them by end of this year. Like Titans prospective buyers will be waiting to see if the nrl grant increase is going to cover their current $2mill a year operating deficit I suspect.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-...-buying-newcastle-knights/7867434?pfmredir=sm

NRL are rumoured to want $15-20mill for the license which seems a lot given the Knights financial operating history and unlikely return on investment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So if the Bears buy the Gold Coast Titans, will they definitely change the name of the Gold Coast Titans to Gold Coast Bears?

NRL has stated no name or venue change. Guess it depends how desperate they are to offload them, but again I ask where will the bears get the finance from?

When most if not all Sydney clubs are taking games OUT of Sydney, I'm fairly certain the NRL will want a Gold Coast based team taking a game to Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And playing it in a ground that is fit for park footy lol.

But but history, nostalgia, tradition blah blah.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Central Coast Bears have been fighting to clinch an NRL licence for the past 15 years and it was speculated they were prepared to join forces with the Gold Coast.

But Annesley, who returned last week from a business trip to Singapore, said he has been given assurances by the NRL that the Titans brand will remain untouched.

“Any suggestion that we are going to change our branding to be the Gold Coast Bears is absolutely wrong,” Annesley said.

“There is no truth to that whatsoever. We are Titans through and through.

“I’ve heard the rumours and I’ve been assured by the NRL, who have control of the club, that there is no basis to the speculation whatsoever.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/f36314e6a7b11bd24b691264c595fee9

taipan

Referee
The Central Coast Bears have been fighting to clinch an NRL licence for the past 15 years and it was speculated they were prepared to join forces with the Gold Coast.

But Annesley, who returned last week from a business trip to Singapore, said he has been given assurances by the NRL that the Titans brand will remain untouched.

“Any suggestion that we are going to change our branding to be the Gold Coast Bears is absolutely wrong,” Annesley said.

“There is no truth to that whatsoever. We are Titans through and through.

“I’ve heard the rumours and I’ve been assured by the NRL, who have control of the club, that there is no basis to the speculation whatsoever.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/f36314e6a7b11bd24b691264c595fee9

So a story from over 12 months ago, by a News Ltd paper.
Nothing can change in 12 months I tell ye nothing ;)

Perth Red

Post Whore
So a story from over 12 months ago, by a News Ltd paper.
Nothing can change in 12 months I tell ye nothing ;)

Well if you have a more recent story saying things have changed im all ears lol.

The most recent stories have been focused on the sale to local business people not the bears. There's been no more mention of bears buying them since february.

taipan

Referee
Well if you have a more recent story saying things have changed im all ears lol.

The most recent stories have been focused on the sale to local business people not the bears. There's been no more mention of bears buying them since february.

You didn't bother to read my post and understand the underlying sarcasm, figures.Don't worry, you'll no doubt be the first to receive any scoops from New's links.I take little notice anycase of comments 15 months old, unless something is in concrete of late.

Maybe you should buy yourself today's Australian, and read about WA under the heading" Lights dim out West.". It
's a pretty dour picture. But I'm sure you polish it up, like the brown stuff.

Job demand down minus 9.6%.
Full time job creation minus 5.8% approx.
Perth vacant rates 5% approx more than 10,000 houses and units without tenants.
Growth in wages just under 2%.
Population growth fell from 4% in 2012 to 1%
If not for the departure of thousands of these workers ,WA['s unemployment rate would be far higher than 6.9%

Then you may understand rushing into expansion is not the be all , nor can it be the bonanza sometimes portrayed.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Joys of a boom and bust mining economy, im selfishly pleased, hopefully going out for dinner won't cost a mortgage amount with our economy returning to some sensibility.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nah I'm in a safe job, cost of living dropping is exactly what Perth needs. It had got to the point that unless you were earning $150k a year it was becoming impossible to live here. It was much better in 99 when I moved here and the place was cheap.

Besides Tourism is our stable future and the more hurt from boom and bust the quicker the place will sort itself out and become an amazing tourist destination, then we will have some padding when the inevitabe boom and bust happens next time.

taipan

Referee
Nah I'm in a safe job, cost of living dropping is exactly what Perth needs. It had got to the point that unless you were earning $150k a year it was becoming impossible to live here. It was much better in 99 when I moved here and the place was cheap.

Besides Tourism is our stable future and the more hurt from boom and bust the quicker the place will sort itself out and become an amazing tourist destination, then we will have some padding when the inevitabe boom and bust happens next time.

In reality I want WA to be successful economically, it helps the Australian economy overall. I take no delight to see anyone out of work, or unable to obtain work. Or watch companies shut down or reduce employment.
I have seen the impact first hand wirh a mate and his family.

However I am also a realist to note when conditions are in a downward spiral, it does not help people attending sporting events, who take note of their expenditure. Hence my reasoning about holding fire on expansion, because of the current situation and the money that has to be stretched in the NRL ,by every party who wants their slice.
You are in much better position when you can say, look at us for expansion, strong economy, low unemployment, sponsors willing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe, the flip side is if you set up and can be successful in a time of austerity then your much more likely to be sustainable. Unless WA can diversify its revenue streams then it will always be a boom and bust economy and any sporting club is going to have to deal with that. Crowds don't seem to be too affected at this point, the good thing about being in a city of over 2million, you're still talking about 1.9million people in employment!

And again it isn't about expansion in 2017, that boat has sailed. The time to expand was in 2011 or 2015 to get the investment t back from tv revenue. Now we should be planning for expansion in 2020/21 ready for maximising the next deal in 2023. That work needs to start now to get two well set clubs on the ground ready for then.

My hope is the sudden need for $100mill grass roots funding is with a strategic view of laying the foundations for expansion.

Latest posts