What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

siv

First Grade
Who you hearing it from?

Buying the stadium is all over the local press including putting a hotel on the training area

Then local junior players hear and discuss things. They have a very profitable Soccer 5 operation. Large new Tuggerah complex. Looking at buying Pluim Park at Lisarow

Watching how they have grown in the last 10 years has been very significant

All on the back of rich owner, milking junior parents and Soccer 5s

They have used a global model rather than a local model for their setups

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mariners get 7k crowds,, how can they afford to buy a $150mill stadium and why would any owner not want the revenue an nrl game can bring in?

siv

First Grade
You thinking in a Oz RL model

European Soccer own their own stadiums

If they cant get Gosford they will build their own at Tuggerah

siv

First Grade
Mariners get 7k crowds,, how can they afford to buy a $150mill stadium and why would any owner not want the revenue an nrl game can bring in?

Your forgetting two revenue streams they have

Soccer 5s is huge and a year round money spinner

Plus player registration is 3 times higher than RL for junior players

alien

Referee
Hmmm, what the heck is this "Soccer 5s"??? The only 5-a-side soccer I've seen is indoor soccer.

BuffaloRules

Coach
You thinking in a Oz RL model

European Soccer own their own stadiums

If they cant get Gosford they will build their own at Tuggerah

The Mariners are not in Europe...

We are talking vastly different revenue streams between Juventus/Real Madrid and the CC Mariners...

siv

First Grade
Hmmm, what the heck is this "Soccer 5s"??? The only 5-a-side soccer I've seen is indoor soccer.

Think indoor soccer field but outdoors where there are around 10 fields. Each rented for $100 dollars a hour and in heavy deman every evening after work

siv

First Grade
The Mariners are not in Europe...

We are talking vastly different revenue streams between Juventus/Real Madrid and the CC Mariners...

Maybe not

But their owners are. And those owners are investigating at a level well above RL investments today

With the goal of developing players for Europe

“We have 200,000 fans that want to be re-engaged with the NRL and we had quality people to do that.”​

:rolleyes:

200k fans?

How many pay to watch them play at North Sydney Oval?

100?

flippikat

Bench
“We have 200,000 fans that want to be re-engaged with the NRL and we had quality people to do that.”​

:rolleyes:

200k fans?

How many pay to watch them play at North Sydney Oval?

100?

They're pushing the proverbial uphill, to be honest.

The best chance for the Bears return was 2004-5, when the NRL was mulling over how to go from 15 teams to 16.

The NRL have moved on.. they're more interested in doubling down on Brisbane & NZ... and when they finally click to the untapped potential in AFL-land, thats *at least* another 2 expansion clubs (Perth & Adelaide) ahead of the Bears.

The only chance thst the Central Coast has if a team is relocating an EXISTING Sydney club (fat chance given the decent grants they get & general inertia). For a start, it would need huge crowds at the Central Coast Warriors home games this year to get some traction., and that doesn't seem to be happening.

As for the Bears as a brand, unless they cut a deal with an expansion club (licence their intellectual property., Adelaide Bears!?!), it ain't happening.. and I really struggle to see a scenario where that happens.

Most likely, a bid emerges that will wear red & black - but the mascot WON'T be a Bear. The colours are strong, and a classic sports team look that's sorely missing from the NRL.. I imagine it won't be absent too much longer.

They're pushing the proverbial uphill, to be honest.

The best chance for the Bears return was 2004-5, when the NRL was mulling over how to go from 15 teams to 16.

The NRL have moved on.. they're more interested in doubling down on Brisbane & NZ... and when they finally click to the untapped potential in AFL-land, thats *at least* another 2 expansion clubs (Perth & Adelaide) ahead of the Bears.

The only chance thst the Central Coast has if a team is relocating an EXISTING Sydney club (fat chance given the decent grants they get & general inertia). For a start, it would need huge crowds at the Central Coast Warriors home games this year to get some traction., and that doesn't seem to be happening.

As for the Bears as a brand, unless they cut a deal with an expansion club (licence their intellectual property., Adelaide Bears!?!), it ain't happening.. and I really struggle to see a scenario where that happens.

Most likely, a bid emerges that will wear red & black - but the mascot WON'T be a Bear. The colours are strong, and a classic sports team look that's sorely missing from the NRL.. I imagine it won't be absent too much longer.
Canterbury Bulldogs to Christchurch. Red and black.

Wests become Western Sydney Tigers and cover the south-west and inner-west, based at Parramatta Stadium and Campbelltown.

Manly out and replaced by North Sydney Bears, based out of SFS and Central Coast Stadium.

Rabbitohs based at SFS and Wollongong.

That way you have North Sydney, South Sydney, Western Sydney and Sydney represented in name by foundation clubs.

Expansion clubs like Dragons and Sharks relocated to Adelaide and Perth.

MugaB

Coach
Canterbury Bulldogs to Christchurch. Red and black.

Wests become Western Sydney Tigers and cover the south-west and inner-west, based at Parramatta Stadium and Campbelltown.

Manly out and replaced by North Sydney Bears, based out of SFS and Central Coast Stadium.

Rabbitohs based at SFS and Wollongong.

That way you have North Sydney, South Sydney, Western Sydney and Sydney represented in name by foundation clubs.

FMD this again, i see new news of an expansion thread, and its undercut by a relocation strategy by the great donkey

T-Boon

Coach

I think the Dragons should stay in Sydney or Wollongong.
But yep Sharks I am afraid are a big relocation candidate. Great relocatable name brand, small suburban area, cross against their name due to stabbing game in back 23 years ago.
Sharks, Panthers, sea eagles and Dogs are the relocation candidates.

taipan

Referee
I think the Dragons should stay in Sydney or Wollongong.
But yep Sharks I am afraid are a big relocation candidate. Great relocatable name brand, small suburban area, cross against their name due to stabbing game in back 23 years ago.
Sharks, Panthers, sea eagles and Dogs are the relocation candidates.

Good luck with that, Sharks no debt, soon have two operational licensed clubs, own ground, fully sponsored ground/jumpers, a new Centre of Excellence (State Govt Grant of $8m plus on hand) to be built around ground and an area that is actually growing population wise, more juniors than many Sydney clubs.And money in the Bank.And one of the Sydney clubs that helps provide Tv ratings which earn teh code revenue.
Yeah a great traditional brand, one of the reasons, it's great beachside location,National Park,and Port Hacking and Cpn Cook's landing place. Synonymous with the area, which no other area is able to match.

Panthers moving just LOL.Not even worthy of a response.
Sea Eagles with no club on the Nthn side of Sydney,yeah that'll do wonders for the code.
Dogs have one of the most financial Leagues clubs going around.

"Stabbing in the back" Based on your formula better remove :- Cows/Sharks/Dogs/Penrith/Canberra/Melbourne/Broncos/Warriors and just play tiddlywinks with the leftovers. And never even contemplate Perth coming in, as they pulled the ARL plug the very first year they came into join SL 23 years ago.
That leaves places like Broome , Bacchus Marsh and Port Pirie as the remaining alternatives.

T-Boon

Coach
Any Sydney team that gets relocated the fans only have themselves to blame due to not turning up enough and if they do turn up not bringing enough other people with them and also not travelling to attend at close by other stadiums.