What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarency

Juniors
You can't compare it though because the Cowboys have a team that people can travel to see. While the demand for a CC side is very very strong, there is no local team so people aren't gonna travel to an empty stadium. Once the team is in then the demand will be satisfied and people will travel. It's abit difficult to travel away for a team someone supports half arsed because they don't have their own to support properly.

It's guaranteed that when the Central Coast Bears are up then the real fun begins. The potential hub is enough to suggest we are going to have a big support core and patrons will travel to and from for games away or home.

Why would people be travelling to an empty stadium if they follow Newcastle, Roosters, Parramatta or even Penrith or just about ANY Sydney team that is well within distance for anyone in the Central Coast who could follow them.

The massive demand for the team only exists because there were previous plans to make a team there and it fell through. If CCB does not go ahead and the number of Sydney teams does not change, we will see the strength of the bid wither away with time.

As much as I'd like to see a CCB, the NRL would be geniused to put them in over a 2nd Brisbane side.

Why would people be travelling to an empty stadium if they follow Newcastle, Roosters, Parramatta or even Penrith or just about ANY Sydney team that is well within distance for anyone in the Central Coast who could follow them.

The massive demand for the team only exists because there were previous plans to make a team there and it fell through. If CCB does not go ahead and the number of Sydney teams does not change, we will see the strength of the bid wither away with time.

As much as I'd like to see a CCB, the NRL would be geniused to put them in over a 2nd Brisbane side.

The NRL will look at each bid seriously. No one is disputing Brisbane 2 being included, just the time frame. Right now it's not the right time because even with serious bids, there is still a lack for genuine demand from the local community.

Central Coast and Central Qld have the most demand from a community level, WA has alot of good things going for their bid and the general rugby league community over there has also got a consumer demand for a franchise. All bids are shoring up their sponsorships, corporate backing and equity. All bids will add to the game. After that it's all about the communities and memberships.

Thank you for the support! It's a good thing that the game has so many bids.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Juniors

A bit of a contradiction here - one reason the CC are favourites is that the bid is mature, the groundwork done over 10 years, finances sorted, risks minimised. If the NRL are ever going to put them in its now, and they have stated they are attracted to the bid. So if they ever have an intention of putting a side in (and why else would they encourage memberships/NRL approved merchandise and keep banging on about Bears and Reds) they will do it this time. The only other bid that would be hurt almost as much by rejection is Perth, hence why these two are favoured.

In other words, if the NRL has strategic ambitions for these areas, now is their time. To answer that, they have said regarding the prospective bidders they have no preferences amongst the areas (ie all ARE strategic areas in their opinion), just the best and most advanced bid. QED.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I don't know why you keep mentioning what Gallop thinks, because it's irrelevant. The decision will be made by the IC, not Gallop. He may offer an opinion, but really it will be based on how the IC feels the game should grow, and how it will improve TV rights figures, which is what the game (and the clubs) need the most. This is where you bid falls behind the others, the net gain will be significantly less than what these other bids will provide. Smaller mentions will go to how many members you already have, how long you have been running a bid is irrelevant. Sponsorships which all seem to be coming out at similar numbers may be a moot point. I think Sydney clubs + Newcastle may add pressure to the IC to bypass Central Coast this time around due to the potential impact it may have on them.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench

You know nothing of about Sydney geography. That is a huge laugh :lol:

Dogs Of War

Coach

The majority of those grounds are just over an hour to get to the game from the coast. Geez, it doesn't stop Timmah from attending Bulldogs games (he lives on the Central Coast), and I am sure there are plenty of supporters like him who make the same effort.

BDGS

Bench
I don't know why you keep mentioning what Gallop thinks, because it's irrelevant. The decision will be made by the IC, not Gallop. He may offer an opinion, but really it will be based on how the IC feels the game should grow, and how it will improve TV rights figures, which is what the game (and the clubs) need the most. This is where you bid falls behind the others, the net gain will be significantly less than what these other bids will provide. Smaller mentions will go to how many members you already have, how long you have been running a bid is irrelevant. Sponsorships which all seem to be coming out at similar numbers may be a moot point. I think Sydney clubs + Newcastle may add pressure to the IC to bypass Central Coast this time around due to the potential impact it may have on them.

The IC will be made soon but the the problem is the all the bids teams have been working with Mr. Gallop and the NRL, the IC will rely on MR. Gallop (who will be the head) and NRL officials to helpmake the decision at hand.

You can't expect an IC that at the time will be a couple of months old to make a decision as important as expansion. That is a very silly thing to say.

Dogs Of War

Coach
The IC will be made soon but the the problem is the all the bids teams have been working with Mr. Gallop and the NRL, the IC will rely on MR. Gallop (who will be the head) and NRL officials to helpmake the decision at hand.

It would defeat the whole point of the IC. I have no problems with the current admin of the NRL accepting bids, and this will allow those bids to have some feedback on there respective strengths and weaknesses, allowing them to address those.

You can't expect an IC that at the time will be a couple of months old to make a decision as important as expansion. That is a very silly thing to say.

No what you can expect is that they will defer the entry of any new teams till at least 2014 so due diligence can be performed and the right bids accepted. Given the extra time available, all bids should be very strong, and have enough of a lead time to be able to secure the right players, staff etc. It should be a wonderful time for the game.

BDGS

Bench
It would defeat the whole point of the IC. I have no problems with the current admin of the NRL accepting bids, and this will allow those bids to have some feedback on there respective strengths and weaknesses, allowing them to address those.

No what you can expect is that they will defer the entry of any new teams till at least 2014 so due diligence can be performed and the right bids accepted. Given the extra time available, all bids should be very strong, and have enough of a lead time to be able to secure the right players, staff etc. It should be a wonderful time for the game.

If the NRL delay expansion they are also delaying putting themselves in a better position both financially and business wise for themselves and struggling clubs. While my club is rock solid atm, i would be truly pissed if the NRL prevented this if i supported a club like Cronulla or Newcastle.

Dogs Of War

Coach
If the NRL delay expansion they are also delaying putting themselves in a better position both financially and business wise for themselves and struggling clubs. While my club is rock solid atm, i would be truly pissed if the NRL prevented this if i supported a club like Cronulla or Newcastle.

Why would they be pissed? All it would mean is that the NRL if they said 2 teams where to join in 2014 instead of 2013 (or even 1 in 2013 and one in 2014), and I am sure the Networks would have a good idea whom those teams would be, the NRL would be able to put aside the TV rights allowance for those 2 clubs so they can use the cash as a rainy day fund (which dissapeared in the Super League war).

Really clubs just want to see the full salary cap provided by the TV rights, which would mean about $1mil to each club. I am sure clubs wouldn't be complaining, hopefully a significant rise in the salary cap as well.

NEXT Central Coast Bears membership drive is @
MCDONALDS BATEAU BAY MEMBERSHIP DRIVE
DATE: Saturday 26th February, 9:30am - 3pm

BDGS

Bench
Why would they be pissed? All it would mean is that the NRL if they said 2 teams where to join in 2014 instead of 2013 (or even 1 in 2013 and one in 2014), and I am sure the Networks would have a good idea whom those teams would be, the NRL would be able to put aside the TV rights allowance for those 2 clubs so they can use the cash as a rainy day fund (which dissapeared in the Super League war).

Really clubs just want to see the full salary cap provided by the TV rights, which would mean about $1mil to each club. I am sure clubs wouldn't be complaining, hopefully a significant rise in the salary cap as well.

TV networks pay the NRL x amount for each year, 2013 is when the TV deal is up. If the NRL sign a 4-5 yr deal but not expand to mid-way through that deal. The TV networks wll not pay a cent extra for 16 teams (then they have to) while they wait for another two teams. However if its 18 teams for the full extent of the contract they will pay the full amount each year for 18 teams.

Having only 16 teams will restrict the TV deal, putting expansion off until mid way through the TV deal will effect the deal some what especially in the first few years.

We are on the verge of a massive TV deal, lets not stuff it around by delaying actions that will see more growth and more money in our game that can protect struggling clubs.

It'd be an hour and a half tops, from Wyong to Penrith.

The M7 has made it a fairly easy trip.

So spectators are suppose to travel 3 hrs both ways (on a lucky traffic day) to see "their" team play?

I feel sorry for the Cowboys supporters that have to travel long distances to support their club, i really do, and i love how committed they are to their club. No one should have to travel 3 hrs or more to get to games, unfortunately until there is a bid that ticks all the boxes, like the bears bid, that is closer to those fans they'll have to put up with it. Doesn't mean other areas with bids have to do it.

Dogs Of War

Coach
TV networks pay the NRL x amount for each year, 2013 is when the TV deal is up. If the NRL sign a 4-5 yr deal but not expand to mid-way through that deal. The TV networks wll not pay a cent extra for 16 teams (then they have to) while they wait for another two teams. However if its 18 teams for the full extent of the contract they will pay the full amount each year for 18 teams.

Our ratings have been very good for quite some time. And we don't have the penalty the AFL do of having to push non rating games onto the main channels in states that don't rate. Last year we outrated the AFL in overall viewer numbers. You think TV stations won't pay for that? It's an extra game, which will most likely end up on pay TV. So really it's foxtel that's interested in it. The TV stations are more interested in which areas get a team, as that provides them with the possibility of putting more blockbuster games into states such as Queensland.

Having only 16 teams will restrict the TV deal, putting expansion off until mid way through the TV deal will effect the deal some what especially in the first few years.

We are on the verge of a massive TV deal, lets not stuff it around by delaying actions that will see more growth and more money in our game that can protect struggling clubs.

Lets get it right. Putting it off for a year or so is the smart thing to do if it allows the right decision to be made. Rushing into it, and putting in the wrong teams that don't increase the TV deal as much as possible, cannot be reversed. The IC is coming in for a reason, and I am sure they will do the right thing by the game, whether that means teams are admitted in 2013 or 2014 is up to them. They will be the only ones with all the information about the game, value, bids etc available to them.

BDGS

Bench
Our ratings have been very good for quite some time. And we don't have the penalty the AFL do of having to push non rating games onto the main channels in states that don't rate. Last year we outrated the AFL in overall viewer numbers. You think TV stations won't pay for that? It's an extra game, which will most likely end up on pay TV. So really it's foxtel that's interested in it. The TV stations are more interested in which areas get a team, as that provides them with the possibility of putting more blockbuster games into states such as Queensland.

Yes, we are the number watched sport in Australia on FTA TV. but what to do now? Sit on our hands hoping we get the same numbers and the AFL numbers don't rise? or do we start action making sure we get a even greater distance between us and 2nd place?

I know what i would rather.

Lets get it right.

Well that includes expansion in 2013 to areas that are ready for it. CC and WA, not waiting around doing nothing.

Putting it off for a year or so is the smart thing to do if it allows the right decision to be made. Rushing into it, and putting in the wrong teams that don't increase the TV deal as much as possible, cannot be reversed. The IC is coming in for a reason, and I am sure they will do the right thing by the game, whether that means teams are admitted in 2013 or 2014 is up to them. They will be the only ones with all the information about the game, value, bids etc available to them.

haha, you seriously think the IC is going to come in and fix all our problems?

I admire your ignorance.

clarency

Juniors

You really should have looked that up before makin' yourself look stupid.

http://www.whereis.com/?id=687C43E72A9E72

So spectators are suppose to travel 3 hrs both ways (on a lucky traffic day) to see "their" team play?

I feel sorry for the Cowboys supporters that have to travel long distances to support their club, i really do,

small_violin.jpg

The closest venue I've gone to is 45mins away, and I frequently travel 1.5-2hours round trip to watch games around Sydney.

And don't feel sorry for cowboys supporters. If they didn't want to travel the distance then they wouldn't. It's quiet clear you wouldn't.

clarency

Juniors
A bit of a contradiction here - one reason the CC are favourites is that the bid is mature, the groundwork done over 10 years, finances sorted, risks minimised. If the NRL are ever going to put them in its now, and they have stated they are attracted to the bid. So if they ever have an intention of putting a side in (and why else would they encourage memberships/NRL approved merchandise and keep banging on about Bears and Reds) they will do it this time. The only other bid that would be hurt almost as much by rejection is Perth, hence why these two are favoured.

In other words, if the NRL has strategic ambitions for these areas, now is their time. To answer that, they have said regarding the prospective bidders they have no preferences amongst the areas (ie all ARE strategic areas in their opinion), just the best and most advanced bid. QED.

I don't think you've gotten my point, because we're actually agreeing. If the Bears don't get in this round then they aren't getting in. IE- They are as strong now as they are ever going to get, and from this point on (if rejected) the idea of putting a team on the Central Coast will only get weaker (unless a Sydney team gets dropped).

While the Bears bid is fantastic and has much to offer the NRL, they simply do not offer as much as the other bids on the table. I'll say it again, it's a real shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.