What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CEntral Coast

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Is it possible the bears on the central coast along with Perth could be the 17th and 18th teams, with the Gold Coast moving into Brisbane to cover the second team and just play the odd game on the GC.

No.
The ship has sailed and the market is too small for an expansion slot.

Also, there is an expansion forum.

rabbitohs95

Bench
The Bears have worked too hard for their bid not to be approved.

They have juniors, they have location, they have a stadium, they have sponsors, they have a logo, they have a ceo, they have a good brand, hell they even already have sponsors.

They should be the last team they approve for NSW, but they should be joined with another team like Brisbane II or Perth, preferably the latter.

I don't really get the Central Coast hate...

de$$ie

Juniors

They have juniors, they have location, they have a stadium, they have sponsors, they have a logo, they have a ceo, they have a good brand, hell they even already have sponsors.

They should be the last team they approve for NSW, but they should be joined with another team like Brisbane II or Perth, preferably the latter.

they dont call it the western suburbs by the sea for nuttin...

Ibleedblue

Juniors
The Bears have everything going for them and would be able to sustain themselves, attract a crowd, attract players and sponsors.

Central Coast/Perth should be the next teams added.

jaseg

Juniors
Corporate dollars =/= Central Coast. Very arguable about crowds, too. Unless a Sydney team folds/relocates it's just a poor option when compared to the alternatives (I say this as an old Bears fan).

Brisbane #2, another QLD team elsewhere (crowds will likely be better than CC, if not corporates), Perth (TV$$$!!!), NZ #2 (biggest growth market) all have better claims (outside of the fairly tenuous historical links - but despite sharing a moniker and some backroom personnel, CC Bears won't be NS Bears.. many fans have moved on, permanently).

Business sense screams Brisbane #2 & Perth/WA - they're the two clear favourites, less risk with high upsides.

Corporate dollars =/= Central Coast. Very arguable about crowds, too. Unless a Sydney team folds/relocates it's just a poor option when compared to the alternatives (I say this as an old Bears fan).

Brisbane #2, another QLD team elsewhere (crowds will likely be better than CC, if not corporates), Perth (TV$$$!!!), NZ #2 (biggest growth market) all have better claims (outside of the fairly tenuous historical links - but despite sharing a moniker and some backroom personnel, CC Bears won't be NS Bears.. many fans have moved on, permanently).

Business sense screams Brisbane #2 & Perth/WA - they're the two clear favourites, less risk with high upsides.

+1. The logic is irrefutable.
Shame too coz it'd be amazing to have the Bears back in the hughest level. Really wish they had hedged their bets a bit better and had become the Gold Coast

CC_Roosters

First Grade
It disgusts me that viable clubs are declined for no other reason than club politicing. The nrl could have 20 teams tomorrow morning with 10 games to sell that would actually grow the pie the clubs are so worried about dividing amoung themselves. But no we now have stagnation and a stale competition for likely a decade.

To prevent regions entering the competition is exclusive and unfair and alienates thoee involved.

El Diablo

Post Whore

they are pointless and the CC is counted by Oztam as part of the Sydney catchment so they won't help drive the price in future TV rights deals

It disgusts me that viable clubs are declined for no other reason than club politicing. The nrl could have 20 teams tomorrow morning with 10 games to sell that would actually grow the pie the clubs are so worried about dividing amoung themselves. But no we now have stagnation and a stale competition for likely a decade.

To prevent regions entering the competition is exclusive and unfair and alienates thoee involved.
NRL clubs are very insular.
A majority can't see the benefits of an expanded comp and a viable international program.

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Is it possible the bears on the central coast along with Perth could be the 17th and 18th teams, with the Gold Coast moving into Brisbane to cover the second team and just play the odd game on the GC.

I don't think that should happen, but you know I wouldn't mind it, soft spot for bears but yeah time has moved on, too much money involved

alien

Referee
i don't think it will happen and i would like to see a gold coast club stay in the nrl, but if the titans home attendance average doesn't improve, then you never know..

Gold Coast should never have had a fourth chance. Self engrossed Sydney clubs will be the downfall of the NRL, I remember when the last tv deal was signed it was stated that the money given to the clubs would be used for them to get their heads above water and now that the new television deal has been signed off they are saying exactly the same thing. These clubs need to learn to budget within their own means and if they don't then live with the ramifications. Nobody helped the Bears yet all these clubs keep getting lifeline after lifeline, its a joke.

Last edited: