What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Centre of Excellence

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...a/news-story/78d2898b4fe1515c481a669dfbbbcdae

zcsyfPdHT3RYMUxQMibA_blob

THESE are the images Manly has lodged with the NRL over a proposed new $20m Centre of Excellence at Narrabeen.Manly put forward the submission last Friday in hope that NRL will outlay part of a $40m grant given to them by the State Government.The State Government issued the money to help NSW clubs fund new Centres of Excellence. Nearly all Sydney clubs are vying for a slice of the money, some to upgrade existing centres, others, like Manly, to build new complexes.The Daily Telegraph understands there are more than $100m worth of bids for the $40m grant. Manly plan to build at the Sydney Sporting Academy, Narrabeen, the club’s training base. The Sea Eagles are seeking $10m from the NRL with club owners, the Penn family, contributing the other $10m along with corporate partners.The NRL will meet later this month to discuss club proposals, a process which could take months. If successful, Manly plan to have their Centre of Excellence completed by the end of 2019.“It would have all the state-of-the-art facilities that you would want for the elite athlete - gymnasium, administration, ice baths, recovery rooms, physiotherapists, massage rooms, technology room for GPS tracking, match review rooms, video conferencing, “ said Manly CEO Tim Cleary.“Most clubs are bidding for a piece of the $40m. A lot are wanting to upgrade their current facilities, most clubs do have Centres of Excellence, there’s only a few that don’t. Because of that, we are going for a larger piece of the pie because we have had no previous funding for a Centre of Excellence.“It won’t work for itself unless there is a commercial side to it so there are three components to that commercial side. Education, child care centre and a sports medicine centre. We hope to sub-lease and get money back to pay

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Not sure why we need to start calling gyms and training facilities 'centre of excellence'

What next?

Leagues clubs called 'gaming & gastronomy experience domes'?

Stadiums called 'entertainment precincts'?

FFS.. its a nice gym..

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Not sure why we need to start calling gyms and training facilities 'centre of excellence'

What next?

FFS.. its a nice gym..

No....its a gym of excellence.

That makes it better than a regular gym :blush:

Where do I find one of these gaming and gastonomy experience domes? They sound bloody awesome!!

big hit!

Bench

What next?

FFS.. its a nice gym..

yep, a training facility. we saw how well the GC centre of excellence went

T-Boon

Coach
FFS.. its a nice gym..

Exactly - this is the waste of money reason why we can't have expansion. We need gold plated gyms.
I love the list of all the things it will have: Gym (I've got one stashed under my bed), Ice bath (esky in my storage space under stairs), recovery room (WTF is this?), several other rooms.
Once every team has a centre of excellence and before everyone upgrades to more expensive gym equipment for that extra bit of advantage can we get a team in Perth.

adamkungl

Immortal

What next?

FFS.. its a nice gym..

Yeah this gets me every time..

On a side note do these Centres of Excellences come under the proposed football spend cap?

ACTPanthers

Bench
Exactly - this is the waste of money reason why we can't have expansion. We need gold plated gyms.
I love the list of all the things it will have: Gym (I've got one stashed under my bed), Ice bath (esky in my storage space under stairs), recovery room (WTF is this?), several other rooms.
Once every team has a centre of excellence and before everyone upgrades to more expensive gym equipment for that extra bit of advantage can we get a team in Perth.

Anywhere but Perth... I'd hate to see Perth Red happy

Reactions: OVP

Perth Red

Post Whore
What happens if you're not excellent after you get a centre. Do you have to rename it to centre of mediocrity?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Aren't you the same moron who wants us to be more like nfl?

You think nfl players train out the back on the asphalt with a few bricks and a couple of battered punching bags?

Ftr, I question these big builds when clubs are apparently scratching for cash.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Yeah this gets me every time..

On a side note do these Centres of Excellences come under the proposed football spend cap?

My understanding was that cap applied to staff and ongoing expenses, not one off capital outlays.

Could be wrong though....it happened once before back in Aug 1983 :blush:

T-Boon

Coach
What happens if you're not excellent after you get a centre. Do you have to rename it to centre of mediocrity?

I also think it is a name that has been plagiarised from Anthony Mundine. Didn't Mundine play centre for Brisbane and give himself the nickname The Centre of Excellence.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Well according to the papers today, Manly are asking the NRL for a $10 million contribution towards it's construction.

Yeah....the paper report says they have submitted an application to the State Govt for funding. It then says they are asking the NRL for $10 million and also says that the Penn's and corporate parters will contribute $10 million.

The build is $20 million.

I would not put too much faith in a "journalist" to get the facts spot on.