What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CH 9 Raising and lowering broadcast volume

The Rosco

Bench
After enjoying the season so far without Rabs and Gus, I watched the 9 broadcast of the test last night, and noticed a strange thing . . . .
The "ground mic" volume was quickly raised just before a tackle, and held at a higher volume as a team was pressing on the line with a try imminent.
Once the tackle was done, the ground noise quickly dropped back down so that we were forced to hear the gibbering better.
It was as if they had a 9 merkin with a volume knob in his hand, twitching it up just before a tackle was made.
Have never really noticed it before, don't know if it's been brought up here before, don't know if it matters.

Last edited:

jack059

Juniors
Funny,
I was only saying this a couple of weeks back while watching foxtel. You can see the extra microphones on the sidline.
Looks like the pr team are working hard.

some11

Referee
Dynamic range compression.

If the broadcast were at commentary levels all the time it would seem dull and lifeless, if it were at the live feed level Origin would be difficult to commentate over.

mongoose

Coach
The sound mixing is really poor in many channel 9 games. The ground volume is usually far too low and the commentators are turned way up. It makes it sound like they are sitting in the same room as you.

retch

Juniors
He only does it at certain grounds...when 9 did a special on Rabs a while ago he gets a hatch built a foot level that he can kick open with his feet so he can hear the crowd reaction.
That way if he needs to gauge the crowd reaction at any time he just kicks his hatch open.

Also 9 is the loudest channel on my tv through Foxtel.

see video at around 14 minutes for Rabs hatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PYR8YtHGmSw#t=772

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Dynamic range compression.

If the broadcast were at commentary levels all the time it would seem dull and lifeless, if it were at the live feed level Origin would be difficult to commentate over.

This is my dream....

The sound mixing is really poor in many channel 9 games. The ground volume is usually far too low and the commentators are turned way up. It makes it sound like they are sitting in the same room as you.

And it makes it sound like there is no one at the ground....

ALeague, on the other hand, can take a crowd of 2k and make it sound like the place is about to explode.

Last edited:

some11

Referee
This is my dream....

Some radio calls really give you the impression of the crowd, I agree they should be struggling to call over it - my first Origin game I couldn't believe how deafening it got at times.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Some radio calls really give you the impression of the crowd, I agree they should be struggling to call over it - my first Origin game I couldn't believe how deafening it got at times.

The conspiracy theorist in me reckons 9 makes the crowd sound shit to make the audience think the atmosphere is poor and therefore it is not worth seeing live....

Latest posts