What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Championship 2017

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking forward to seeing what sheens does with us. On paper we should be confident but after last couple of years performances you never know with hull KR!

roughyedspud

Coach
I reckon its gonna be 3 mini leagues again..

Kr will run away with the league..like leigh did last season.

Then a battle for 2nd between the likes of london,featherstone,halifax,batley,dewsbury maybe toulouse.

And the rest of us,oldham,swinton,rochdale & sheffield trying to keep out heads infront of bradford.

Im picking bradford & sheffield to go down

adamkungl

Immortal
I would predict no promotions this year. Toulouse aren't SL quality yet. Don't know if KR have the squad to pull it off. London don't seem to have made any serious signings (Adrian Purtell...lol).

Promotion requires a Super League quality team and that requires a cash injection which only a couple of clubs can maybe afford.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rumoured we have held some salary cap back in case someone becomes available late in season or need to cover injuries. Our backline looks good enough but missing in the prop dept I fear. Losing Matty marsh for the year hasn't helped.

If a SL club loses 3 or 4 of its top players to injury going into the middle 8's like we did last season then we have a good chance of winnng the home game against SL club and million pound game.

It is always going to be an outside shot given revenue difference between championship and SL. This will be our best shot, the fighting spirit at the club has come to the fore with more season memberships and sponsors than last season. That won't last forever.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Rumoured we have held some salary cap back in case someone becomes available late in season or need to cover injuries. Our backline looks good enough but missing in the prop dept I fear. Losing Matty marsh for the year hasn't helped.

If a SL club loses 3 or 4 of its top players to injury going into the middle 8's like we did last season then we have a good chance of winnng the home game against SL club and million pound game.

It is always going to be an outside shot given revenue difference between championship and SL. This will be our best shot, the fighting spirit at the club has come to the fore with more season memberships and sponsors than last season. That won't last forever.

Having been a victim of relegation what's your thoughts in general on the system? would you prefer a straight up down P&R setup?

Good to see the fans rallied around the club.

jim_57

Staff member
Thanks for the insight. Do you think then that Toronto may get to SL first considering that they seem to have the funds to build a strong squad?

Hard to say before a ball has been kicked but there is every chance that may happen. Of course there are other strong squads in Championship and the bottom of Super League to contend with.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Hard to say before a ball has been kicked but there is every chance that may happen. Of course there are other strong squads in Championship and the bottom of Super League to contend with.

Interesting times ahead with Toulouse, Toronto and potentially Montreal. I would say there has never been this much interest from neutrals in the lower leagues.

jim_57

Staff member
Interesting times ahead with Toulouse, Toronto and potentially Montreal. I would say there has never been this much interest from neutrals in the lower leagues.

Definitely, from an outsiders view I'm more interested in the lower leagues at the moment.

Wolfpack in particular could have opened a can of worms. If a club from a city as unlikely as Toronto can be successful with the right people in charge what's to stop another in Europe, North America, Asia etc. Very interesting times.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Definitely, from an outsiders view I'm more interested in the lower leagues at the moment.

Wolfpack in particular could have opened a can of worms. If a club from a city as unlikely as Toronto can be successful with the right people in charge what's to stop another in Europe, North America, Asia etc. Very interesting times.

Well said. Probably why the talk of Florida also. Hopefully it is a turning point for the game and it opens the NRL's eyes a bit to the value of expansion, especially to international markets

Perth Red

Post Whore
Having been a victim of relegation what's your thoughts in general on the system? would you prefer a straight up down P&R setup?

Good to see the fans rallied around the club.

Rather not have it full stop lol. To see the hard work of the club over the last ten years come down to one game was very hard to swallow. I am not convinced that there is anyone below SL that is strong enough or would add to the Comp more than the relegated team. Leigh will arguably bring less to SL this season than SL lost in having hull KR out of the comp.

But if we must have p&r than yes, the worse club go down, the best club go up seems the fairest. At moment it is a lottery depending on injuries.

Rovers fans have been outstanding and we have sold 5,600 season memberships with 75% choosing to pay same price as last season. That's our most in 5 years.

Last edited:

Latest posts