What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Championship and League 1 2018

langpark

First Grade
1,481 in York
818 in Newcastle
Not sure how many in Bradford.

But some of these League 1 sides are getting better crowds than Championship sides.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Championship – Round-up
Swinton 18-64 London
Leigh 36-0 Dewsbury
Batley 14-40 Featherstone
Barrow 36-22 Sheffield
Toulouse 38-6 Halifax
Rochdale 17-18 Toronto

League One
York 26-12 Keighley
Whitehaven 30-6 Hemel
Bradford 32-12 Hunslet
North Wales 2-30 Oldham
Newcastle 20-22 Doncaster
London S 26-42 Workington

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Top four in the championship is breaking away now:

London 12

Toulouse 12

Featherstone 12

Toronto 11

5th place is Dewsbury on 6 points with a game in hand. This is going to be one of the better middle 8's. I just hope that we don't lose Catalans from SL even if we get London, Toulouse and Toronto through. Having said that, it is unlikely that three teams will go up from the Championship next year. Depending on the structure next year we could see all three plus Catalan in the SL anyway. If they were ever going to strategically adjust the structure, this is the year to do it with three key expansion clubs in the top four of the championship and one in the drop zone in SL.

Pommy

Coach

London 12

Toulouse 12

Featherstone 12

Toronto 11

5th place is Dewsbury on 6 points with a game in hand. This is going to be one of the better middle 8's. I just hope that we don't lose Catalans from SL even if we get London, Toulouse and Toronto through. Having said that, it is unlikely that three teams will go up from the Championship next year. Depending on the structure next year we could see all three plus Catalan in the SL anyway. If they were ever going to strategically adjust the structure, this is the year to do it with three key expansion clubs in the top four of the championship and one in the drop zone in SL.

Didn’t they say the announcement would be made prior to the start of the season if expansion was happening?
To ensure every club knew what was at stake?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Didn’t they say the announcement would be made prior to the start of the season if expansion was happening?
To ensure every club knew what was at stake?

Yes they did, but they didn't deliver. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a surprise at the end of the season. It will probably depend on how the teams go that they want in SL.

Pommy

Coach
Yes they did, but they didn't deliver. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a surprise at the end of the season. It will probably depend on how the teams go that they want in SL.

They will piss a lot off in the heartlands if they just decide end of season to promote more teams than they said at the start of the year and it’s London, Toronto and Toulouse that benefit.
I wouldn’t be against it myself but it’s a situation that should have been avoided.

Tigers1986

Juniors
If the 'heartland' teams are good enough, they'll be up there to have a case to be 'promoted' in an expanded format.

Evil Homer

Staff member

London 12

Toulouse 12

Featherstone 12

Toronto 11

Good chance for the other teams to make up some ground with Toulouse vs London, Featherstone vs Toronto, Toulouse vs Toronto and Leigh vs London all happening over the Easter weekend.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They will piss a lot off in the heartlands if they just decide end of season to promote more teams than they said at the start of the year and it’s London, Toronto and Toulouse that benefit.
I wouldn’t be against it myself but it’s a situation that should have been avoided.

Agreed

Pommy

Coach
If the 'heartland' teams are good enough, they'll be up there to have a case to be 'promoted' in an expanded format.

The point is if they expand it at the end of the season it looks like they have done it just to the benefit of the top expansion teams.
This should have been publicised at the start of the season so everyone had fair warning, or happen for next season.
People would argue that if clubs knew there was guaranteed promotion spots available the clubs could have invested more to try and take advantage.
It’s just bad management really.

Tigers1986

Juniors
The point is if they expand it at the end of the season it looks like they have done it just to the benefit of the top expansion teams.
This should have been publicised at the start of the season so everyone had fair warning, or happen for next season.
People would argue that if clubs knew there was guaranteed promotion spots available the clubs could have invested more to try and take advantage.
It’s just bad management really.

Fair point raised.

At least if Catalans continue to suck and finish outside the top 12 the team likely to replace them will be another "expansion" club. Not sure what happens if it's Toulouse or London because neither has a SL ground. Toronto don't either in reality but it won't be an issue.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
At least if Catalans continue to suck and finish outside the top 12 the team likely to replace them will be another "expansion" club. Not sure what happens if it's Toulouse or London because neither has a SL ground. Toronto don't either in reality but it won't be an issue.
Toronto could (hopefully) play a few games at BMO field (capacity) 30,000. While Lamport can fit 10,000. Toulouse could play out of Stade Ernst Wallon where rc Toulouse play most of their games. And as for London they need to upgrade to a bigger stadium anyway but not sure where their ‘fans’ are situated.

Toronto could (hopefully) play a few games at BMO field (capacity) 30,000. While Lamport can fit 10,000. Toulouse could play out of Stade Ernst Wallon where rc Toulouse play most of their games. And as for London they need to upgrade to a bigger stadium anyway but not sure where their ‘fans’ are situated.
Yep. There are other options. Although London won't pull a crowd regardless of where they play.

deal.with.it

Juniors
On one of the other forums it was stated that the Broncos have permission to errect temporary stands to reach SL standards

langpark

First Grade
I could see Toulouse and Toronto pull bigger crowds in sl, but I think it would just be the Same old fanless London if they got up.
There will definitely be an increase in crowds if they go up, no doubt. But I can seem them only averaging about 2-3000 still. Something like Salford let's say.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Even though super league structure is up in the air, is it confirmed that league 1 and championship is P&R as per previous seasons?