What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Championship and League 1 2018

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
It lived up to the billing then.

Yes I suppose it did, a 2 point margin at the end with TWP coming from behind but the scenes at the end of the game could give the code a bad look, to me, mind you I'm watching on TV from the other side of the world, well to me the Leigh coach Purtell deliberately sought out the TWP coach Rowley to exchange words before the Leigh prop intervened.

deluded pom?

Coach
Yes I suppose it did, a 2 point margin at the end with TWP coming from behind but the scenes at the end of the game could give the code a bad look, to me, mind you I'm watching on TV from the other side of the world, well to me the Leigh coach Purtell deliberately sought out the TWP coach Rowley to exchange words before the Leigh prop intervened.
It’s usually Rowley that gets the bad press.

juro

Bench
Thank goodness for cool headed props...

deluded pom?

Coach
Having just seen the penalty given that gave Leigh a chance to draw the game I don’t see where the ref is coming from. The Leigh tackler deliberately has a second go at the TWP player and then a second Leigh player is all over the TWP player at the attempted PTB. If anything it’s a penalty to TWP. Bemusing to say the least.

The Daddy3

Juniors
Having just seen the penalty given that gave Leigh a chance to draw the game I don’t see where the ref is coming from. The Leigh tackler deliberately has a second go at the TWP player and then a second Leigh player is all over the TWP player at the attempted PTB. If anything it’s a penalty to TWP. Bemusing to say the least.

I was completely dumbfounded by that penalty. Justice was done.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting, from Facebook page

Announcement:

Red Star Belgrade RLFC have entered into formal discussions with a consortium who have put a formal proposal to Whitehaven RLFC to take over the club with regards to a future partnership.

The purpose of this partnership from our perspective will be: -

~ to provide a potential direct gateway for Red Star players to enter League 1
~ to support the grass roots of the game in the heartland of the game in England.
~ to promote Red Star and Serbian Rugby League interests as we continue to grow the game in the Balkans and Europe generally.

We will keep you all informed as more news comes to hand!

Interesting, from Facebook page

Announcement:

Red Star Belgrade RLFC have entered into formal discussions with a consortium who have put a formal proposal to Whitehaven RLFC to take over the club with regards to a future partnership.

The purpose of this partnership from our perspective will be: -

~ to provide a potential direct gateway for Red Star players to enter League 1
~ to support the grass roots of the game in the heartland of the game in England.
~ to promote Red Star and Serbian Rugby League interests as we continue to grow the game in the Balkans and Europe generally.

We will keep you all informed as more news comes to hand!

I had an uncle who once played for Red Star Belgrade

He said some things are really left best unspoken
But I prefer it all to be out in the open
Sexuality
Strong and warm and wild and free
Sexuality
Your laws do not apply to me
Sexuality
Don't threaten me with misery
Sexuality
I demand equality

adamkungl

Immortal
2 points between 2nd and 6th.
Toronto will finish first. The next 3 spots are wide open.
Toulouse, Featherstone, Halifax, London, Leigh.

London currently in 5th but with the best differential. But they'll need to perform at their best to overtake any of the teams above them.
Leigh have a very easy run home, they'll probably lose to Toronto but aside from that face no other top 6 teams.

Top 6 clashes of the final 5 rounds. Very interesting!

R19
Toronto v Leigh

R20
Toulouse v London
Halifax v Featherstone

R21
London v Halifax

R22
Featherstone v London
Halifax v Toulouse

R23
Toronto v Featherstone

Last edited:
Toronto has a very good chance of promotion to Super League at the end of this season.
Toulouse has an outside chance of promotion but it will need Sam Rapira, William Barthau, Stan Robin, Anthony Ford, Mark Kheirallah, Paul Marcon and Gabriel Marguerite all playing if this is to happen.

adamkungl

Immortal
Championship top 6 remains the same with Toronto beating Leigh and all other favourites getting comfortable wins.

Next week is crucial

Toronto 35
Toulouse 28
Featherstone 28
Halifax 27
London 26
Leigh 24

On the bottom Rochdale look set for relegation with the other coming from Swinton, Dewsbury or Sheffield.

Storm13

Juniors
http://www.coventrybears.com/blog/a-great-day-for-the-bears

I tend to see a lot from the Bears on FB. I assume they are in a non traditional area for the game in England?

Can some one from over there give us a quick run down on the club? They look like they are starting to get a following, are they achieving as well as their marketing makes out?

5 Live Radio released a podcast yesterday about the Bears. I would suggest giving that a listen if you want a decent rundown on the club.

deluded pom?

Coach
http://www.coventrybears.com/blog/a-great-day-for-the-bears

I tend to see a lot from the Bears on FB. I assume they are in a non traditional area for the game in England?

Can some one from over there give us a quick run down on the club? They look like they are starting to get a following, are they achieving as well as their marketing makes out?
The Bears are now twenty years old. Coventry is in the Midlands. Definitely not RL land. They started life in the old conference league (not to be confused with the National Conference League which comprises northern amateur teams). The conference league had teams from all over the UK playing in conferences as opposed to leagues. The conference leaders then played off to find the ultimate champions. After this they entered the NCL (see above) for a few sasons. They eventually joined the RFL structure. This is their fourth season as a semi pro club. They average around thre to four hundred. Comparable to some northern teams especially taking their current league position into consideration. They are not running at a loss as far as I’m aware and have decided to concentrate on local players for 2018. Possibly one of the reasons why results haven’t been as good as they could have been.

Dakink

Bench
Thanks Pom, do they look like hanging in and being successful (not necessarily results but a viable thriving club)?

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Toronto has a very good chance of promotion to Super League at the end of this season.
Toulouse has an outside chance of promotion but it will need Sam Rapira, William Barthau, Stan Robin, Anthony Ford, Mark Kheirallah, Paul Marcon and Gabriel Marguerite all playing if this is to happen.

While the Wolfpack may very well get promoted to the Super League I'm wondering just how long the owners can sustain the $$$$drain, their crowds don't seem to be on the improve although they have played the majority of games away, has the novelty worn off for the good people of Toronto?.

deluded pom?

Coach
Thanks Pom, do they look like hanging in and being successful (not necessarily results but a viable thriving club)?
Three clubs in the heartlands with many years behind them have recently declared they were/are close to folding because of money trouble. At least Coventry are going about their business without losing money hand over fist. The biggest concern for me is their results on the field are declining year on year.

deal.with.it

Juniors

There is a video interviewing the owner Alan Robinson. He says they are commercially viable and growing their fan base. He said with investment they could bring in a couple of bigger names, but otherwise will wait until crowds increase/sponsorship increases before signing bigger name players. Rather than sign and then hope the results and crowds come in - ala Whitehaven.