What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing the anthem... just because you feel like?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...us-round-says-stan-grant-20170511-gw2wly.html

The NRL's Indigenous Round threatens to turn into a messy, politicised circus with two versions of Advance Australia Affair – an anthem that many Aboriginal people consider an insult – to be played just before kick-off at most matches.

On Thursday, it was announced an audio recording of a reworked version of the anthem – written in 2009 by Judith Durham of The Seekers fame – will be played to the crowd. Australian Rugby League Commissioner Chris Sarra, who is indigenous, is the driving force behind both anthems being played, but others across the game were shocked when told about the initiative.

• SHARE ON FACEBOOKSHARE
  • SHARE ON TWITTERTWEET
1494499713205.jpg

Celebration: Players model the their Indigenous Round jerseys. Photo: NRL Imagery
Broadcasters Channel 9 and Fox Sports have strongly advised the NRL against it, forecasting its divisive nature. However, Nine are expected to show it briefly before Friday night's broadcast.

While some indigenous Australians, including Cowboys captainJohnathan Thurston and NSW coach Laurie Daley, are not offended by the current national anthem, many indigenous Australians are. Even more mystifying is that the NRL only plays the anthem before club matches on very special occasions, yet it has chosen to do so over a round of games when it can offend the most.

• SHARE ON FACEBOOKSHARE
  • SHARE ON TWITTERTWEET
1494499713205.jpg

Politicised: Stan Grant, a passionate spokesman for Aboriginal rights, says the two anthems take away from the celebration of Indigenous Round. Photo: ABC
The lazy alternative in these situations is to call outspoken boxerAnthony Mundine, who last year called for NRL and AFL players to boycott the anthem on grand final day.

Instead, this column phoned highly respected broadcaster Stan Grant, whose impassioned commentary on Aboriginal rights and recognition has stirred important debate in recent years.

Advertisement
"It really complicates and politicises a round that's meant to be celebrating the achievements of indigenous players," Grant said. "If you're going to play alternative anthems, you are inviting this type of politicisation.

"If you're going to have an indigenous round, it's to acknowledge the impact indigenous players have had on the game. Any sport has the right to play the national anthem of this country, as does any Aboriginal have the right to not like it. That's democracy. To play both is a bet each way.

"This sport has been an amazing avenue for Aboriginal people to achieve things in life, and secondly it has been an incredible outlet for reconciliation and bringing people together. We can celebrate that without opening up a political hornet's nest."

Rugby league has a proud link with indigenous Australia but it needs to be mindful of how it goes about these themed rounds. Is the NRL merely ticking a box?

We'd hope not. The NRL spends about $4 million a year on indigenous footy and programs each year, but some argue it could be more. Last year, the Indigenous Round was spread over two rounds because clubs wanted to maximise as much profit as possible from one-off indigenous-themed jerseys. Several clubs were reluctant to make players available to promote the round.

The anthem remains a point of contention among indigenous players. Souths star Greg Inglis said earlier this year he understood Mundine's anger over the anthem. His Queensland teammate, Johnathan Thurston, does not.

"Obviously there are going to be a lot of people who are patriotic about the national anthem we have now, but I think if people really read the lyrics and understand the lyrics then I think they'd be a fan of the new one as well," Thurston said.

On Anzac Day, I was standing next to Daley and noticed he didn't sing the anthem before the match between the Roosters and Dragons at Allianz Stadium.

Daley is a former Indigenous All Stars coach but is often accused of not making enough noise about Aboriginal issues.

"There's no hidden agenda," he said. "I don't make political statements. But I don't have a problem with [the national anthem]. I don't know as much as some of the elders and some of the people who know more about it than I do. For me, it was the anthem I grew up with and I feel comfortable. I'm not saying it's the best one we can come up with but that's what we've got. As an Australian, I'll support what's in place. It's our song, it's something some people don't like. But in terms of being Australian, we should be proud of where we are, who we are.

this is the whole problem, instead of excepting what we have, if you aren't happy just change it because you can.... Australia is really turning itself into a unpaitriotic spinless lefty nation....

We'd hope not. The NRL spends about $4 million a year on indigenous footy and programs each year, but some argue it could be more. Last year, the Indigenous Round was spread over two rounds because clubs wanted to maximise as much profit as possible from one-off indigenous-themed jerseys. Several clubs were reluctant to make players available to promote theround.

Its the clubs killing the game.

The players, the mangers, the clubs and nrl hq have no idea. It's only about the $$$$$$.

Lambretta

First Grade
Don't ever change anything
Always ensure you do the same thing

When gallant Cook from Albion sailed,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Til he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
"With all her faults we love her still"
"Britannia rules the wave."
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.

Yep - that's the attitude

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
favourite part is when it says the lazy journalist would have just called ol rent-a-quote mundine to make an ass of himself and say the white linemarking on the field is racist.

Agree doing the anthem should be saved for Anzac day/gf day. Regular season games even if they are themed just adds to how much later channel 9 delay the kickoff time to what it is actually programmed.

no name

Coach
this is the whole problem, instead of excepting what we have, if you aren't happy just change it because you can.... Australia is really turning itself into a unpaitriotic spinless lefty nation....
I don't see it as changing the anthem because you can.
From my understanding, the anthem used is a translation of the original anthem sung in a traditional language.
That seems to me that it is about embracing both the past (by using the language) and the current/future (by using the current anthem)
Non issue for me.

Life's Good

Coach
It's a game of footy to, quite rightly, celebrate Indegenous contribution. The rest is just political point scoring or headline chasing. Do the Macarena before kick off for all I care.

axl rose

Bench
As a straight white male, anything I say in response to this crap will be deemed racist.

Indigenous round in the biggest wank of all time (not including Marvel month) If anyone seriously thinks this is about reconciliation and not jersey sales they are off their head.

There you go, keep your head down.

Incorrect

Coach
They should be playing Yothu Yindi's cracking version of Jailbreak instead of the anthem... Will please the white folk and the black fella's

"But he made it out......... With a sheet around his NECK!"

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why is this suddenly a new issue? The indigenous version has been sung prior to matches several times before.

Barkley

Bench
The anthem is not required for these rounds but I didn't mind the version they did last night.

Do the Warriors pay tribute to the Maori's in Indigenous Round?

Incorrect

Coach
The anthem is not required for these rounds but I didn't mind the version they did last night.

Do the Warriors pay tribute to the Maori's in Indigenous Round?
Courtesy of the NZ anthem, Maori culture is recognised every time the NZ anthem is sung... Probably the best anthem in the world IMO or at the very least, on the podium....

Probably not easy to incorpoerate indigenous dialect in a new Aussie anthem due to all the different languages the different tribes used traditionally... which one do you choose?

Do the Maori only have one dialect does anyone know? @Iafeta ???

Last edited: