What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing the anthem... just because you feel like?

Canard

Immortal
They're not getting rid of anything, they're just adding another one. For a weekend. At some football games. Who cares?
Why is this suddenly a new issue? The indigenous version has been sung prior to matches several times before.

Because people love a fake outrage these days.

This might be the biggest non-event that the media have tried to be beat up in a long while.

Paullyboy

Coach
Why the hell do we want another excuse to sing the anthem?

Deadset, we're turning into Seppo's the way we sing our anthem at a drop of a hat. Start the game on time and piss off the anthem shit from regular matches.

If the NRL was serious about indigenous people... take a game to darwin, alice springs... or every indigenous jersey sold goes to a aboriginal organization or community..

Or better yet 10,000 free jerseys goes to remote communities black, white... all kids

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I was surprised they were singing the national anthem considering its a round of matches, not a big match like Origin and Grand Final but was interesting to hear it in both languages. It has happened before. Personally I would've been fine without the anthem.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If the NRL was serious about indigenous people... take a game to darwin, alice springs... or every indigenous jersey sold goes to a aboriginal organization or community..

Or better yet 10,000 free jerseys goes to remote communities black, white... all kids
Parramatta play a game in each of Darwin and Alice every year.

How do you frequent these forums and not know something so basic?

toomuchsoup

Juniors
I don't see it as changing the anthem because you can.
From my understanding, the anthem used is a translation of the original anthem sung in a traditional language.
That seems to me that it is about embracing both the past (by using the language) and the current/future (by using the current anthem)
Non issue for me.
f**ken oath

Pretty simple to understand

wibble

Bench
Courtesy of the NZ anthem, Maori culture is recognised every time the NZ anthem is sung... Probably the best anthem in the world IMO or at the very least, on the podium....

Probably not easy to incorpoerate indigenous dialect in a new Aussie anthem due to all the different languages the different tribes used traditionally... which one do you choose?

Do the Maori only have one dialect does anyone know? @Iafeta ???

Well, it sounds fantastic, and I love the Maori and English versions being sung. As long as you don't pay heed to the lyrics, which are "god awful".

JamesRustle

First Grade
Well, it sounds fantastic, and I love the Maori and English versions being sung. As long as you don't pay heed to the lyrics, which are "god awful".
Sounds good but who knows what they are singing in the first verse... death to the whitey or some crap.

Perth Red

Post Whore

In my state the nrl funds a development officer and range of activities primarily to work in indigenous communities in northern WA.

Diesel

Referee
Celebrating indigenous cultures is a great idea but it always brings out some of the us vs them cases. Nothing brings Australian cultures together more than a Barnsy or Farnham hit, make one of their #1 hits the national anthem and get on wit the footy

Iafeta

Referee
Courtesy of the NZ anthem, Maori culture is recognised every time the NZ anthem is sung... Probably the best anthem in the world IMO or at the very least, on the podium....

Probably not easy to incorpoerate indigenous dialect in a new Aussie anthem due to all the different languages the different tribes used traditionally... which one do you choose?

Do the Maori only have one dialect does anyone know? @Iafeta ???

I'm probably not the best one to answer it. But like most aboriginal cultures the indigenous people of NZ largely led lives that really were based around their own spread out tribes. I guess there may have been different dialects but I've only known one version of Maori which we learned as Te Reo Maori in high school.

Latest posts