What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 are scum

Razor

Coach
El Diablo said:
if they don't then they'll have to show them

why do you think they're dying to sell them to pay?

They can sell the games to SBS or form their own pay TV channel. They can then sell that channel to anyone that wants it - there are more than the big 3 pay TV providers out there. After a while the AFL fans will not be happy and be complaining to Foxtel on why don't they carry that channel. Then 7 will get a reasonable price for it.

Part of their contract is they only have to make sure that the Friday match is shown live in QLD and NSW. No part of that contract stipulates to how many people it is broadcast too.

they have indicated that they don't think that the AFL rights are all that important to them and they are prepared to close the Fox Footy Channel at the end of the year.

Fox Footy has already been scheduled to be closed. September 30 is it's last day. Fox Footy was only formed because Foxtel owned the AFL rights(and not Fox Sports) and they didn't have the rights to any other sports. So they had no choice but to form their own channel. Foxtel has said they won't be bidding for the AFL, and will leave it to Fox Sports to get the AFL rights - and since Fox Sports is currently the only sports channel out there(ESPN aren't in the Austrlaian market) they don't have much competition when it comes to bidding for rights.

They were obviously counting on Fox coughing up a good percentage of the money they put up for the rights

No they weren't. ESPN at the time were looking at entering the Australian market, and ESPN were the favourite to get the pay TV rights. But ESPN decided against coming in.

Razor said:
No they weren't. ESPN at the time were looking at entering the Australian market, and ESPN were the favourite to get the pay TV rights. But ESPN decided against coming in.

I don't recall any talk about ESPN apart from the odd "might be interested", that just happens to always come from AFL sources, and a deal to broadcast AFL internationally that apparently went sour.

Care to enlighten me?

A link to ESPN saying they're interested would help....

petetheileet

First Grade
and all channel 7 personalities are annoying c**ks!!! i cant stand a single person on that network...all they do is buy every1 and turn them into an annoying, jibberring fool!!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Razor said:
They can sell the games to SBS or form their own pay TV channel.

SBS said no ages ago because if they show it live in NSW and QLD then they can't stop it going live into Vic.

Green Machine

First Grade
El Diablo said:
SBS said no ages ago because if they show it live in NSW and QLD then they can't stop it going live into Vic.

http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/afl/sbs-rejects-nine-offer-to-cover-afl/2005/10/17/1129401195870.html
SBS turned down the approach because it believed the AFL did not fit the profile of a national or international sport, given the problem with the Sydney market and the fact that a joint venture with the Nine Network involving Foxtel would have forced it to split its telecasts into various states given the differing demands of various fixtures.

t-ba

Post Whore
ROFLMAO...So SBS basically believes it's not even national enough to be a national sport?

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
SBS wants an intl or national sport. they took cricket becoz it was a national sport (it covered all state's interests) and it was played at an intl level. both criteria whcih cannot be filled by the AFL.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Razor said:
They can sell the games to SBS or form their own pay TV channel. They can then sell that channel to anyone that wants it - there are more than the big 3 pay TV providers out there. After a while the AFL fans will not be happy and be complaining to Foxtel on why don't they carry that channel. Then 7 will get a reasonable price for it.

But they might not get that much for it if a third party runs their own AFL channel and if Foxtel offers that channel on it's own. (Meaning those that want to watch the AFL will have to pay for it). I can't see to many taking up that offer due to the fact that's theirs only 3 games which aren't televised on normal TV.

I remember when the original AFL channel started up and I had to ring Foxtel about something and they asked me if I'd be interested in Fox Footy....

I was still laughing when she finally hung up....

Alex28

Coach
Angry_eel said:
ye that too. that didn't work for them i don't think.
It worked so well for SBS that Channel Nine are making sure they get the rights to it next time it's in England...