What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 wins TV rights

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Aus v eng in melbourne a few days before the melbourne cup has become abit of a tradition....dunno about the MCG though...we've never troubled the capacity at AAMI in the past and we only got 36k when we got smashed at docklands in 2008...

I think a full AAMI would be fantastic....a half full MCG would look poo
r

Docklands seems like the better choice for taking advantage of MC overflow and 50k seems a more likely target.

But if their confident of a +70k crowd, MCG would be great for the Cup.

morningstar

Juniors
http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/si...7-rugby-league-world-cup-20160416-go7vv5.html

Channel Seven is tipped to target Andrew Moore and Dan Ginnane as the network looks to sign commentators for its coverage of next year's Rugby League World Cup.

Seven has forked out about $10 million to beat Nine and Fox to the broadcast rights for the game's showpiece international event. There are plans to stage the opening game, an Australia-England blockbuster, to coincide with Derby Day, the Saturday before the race that stops the nation, in Melbourne.

Having secured the rights, Seven must now assemble a team of callers and experts to head up their coverage. Andrew Moore is on the radar as a play-by-play caller should his ABC radio commitments allow. Another in the mix is Ginnane, who is currently calling the action for Triple M. Seven sports news director Jim Wilson will head the coverage, with NSW coach Laurie Daley, already on Seven's books, also expected to be involved.

Other names likely to be sounded out for key roles include Manly coach Trent Barrett, dual international Wendell Sailor and former premiership-winning halfback Brett Kimmorley.

Seven will begin its search for talent in earnest after it wraps up its coverage of the Rio Olympics.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/si...7-rugby-league-world-cup-20160416-go7vv5.html

Channel Seven is tipped to target Andrew Moore and Dan Ginnane as the network looks to sign commentators for its coverage of next year's Rugby League World Cup.

Seven has forked out about $10 million to beat Nine and Fox to the broadcast rights for the game's showpiece international event. There are plans to stage the opening game, an Australia-England blockbuster, to coincide with Derby Day, the Saturday before the race that stops the nation, in Melbourne.

Having secured the rights, Seven must now assemble a team of callers and experts to head up their coverage. Andrew Moore is on the radar as a play-by-play caller should his ABC radio commitments allow. Another in the mix is Ginnane, who is currently calling the action for Triple M. Seven sports news director Jim Wilson will head the coverage, with NSW coach Laurie Daley, already on Seven's books, also expected to be involved.

Other names likely to be sounded out for key roles include Manly coach Trent Barrett, dual international Wendell Sailor and former premiership-winning halfback Brett Kimmorley.

Seven will begin its search for talent in earnest after it wraps up its coverage of the Rio Olympics.

I smell a reality show coming on....

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I listen to ABC on occasions, infact since Moore has gone to ABC ive listened to them more. He goes well as a commentator, adds a bit colour and excitement.

Ginnanes not bad either. I dont think either of them have commentated for TV except for maybe a few Schoolboy Cup games.

He didn't. When Morrow's line re: African Americans in the dark went to air, his cards were marked. Moore was signed to replace him.

I just did some research on Google. I found out that Andrew Moore was booted from 2GB because of a falling out with his former "mate" Ray Hadley. The latter is just a nasty piece of work.

Anyway Moore then got picked up by ABC Grandstand, who wanted to compete with 2GB on rugby league coverage. Interestingly, 2GB later hired David Morrow as a rugby league caller.

I would be happy to have both Moore and Morrow as the callers for the World Cup. They are both excellent.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I just did some research on Google. I found out that Andrew Moore was booted from 2GB because of a falling out with his former "mate" Ray Hadley. The latter is just a nasty piece of work.

Anyway Moore then got picked up by ABC Grandstand, who wanted to compete with 2GB on rugby league coverage. Interestingly, 2GB later hired David Morrow as a rugby league caller.

I would be happy to have both Moore and Morrow as the callers for the World Cup. They are both excellent.

Not sure if the falling out bit was true but wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Moore was offered the main callers job to replace Morrow and decided to take the job as I think Raaayy decided to focus more on calling for 2GB wouldve left Moore as the No.2 caller.

undertaker

Coach
Not sure if the falling out bit was true but wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Moore was offered the main callers job to replace Morrow and decided to take the job as I think Raaayy decided to focus more on calling for 2GB wouldve left Moore as the No.2 caller.

There was a thread mentioned about this somewhere in 2014 - Moore's final NRL Season at 2GB before he left during the following summer - but there was definitely a conflict between Moore and Hadley (update: found the thread here, starting from post #153: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=10181031#LY6bv9SmpWxZi0uZ.97)

Months before Moore left during the 2014/15 summer (he had some sports program during the summer), during the middle of the NRL season, he suddenly stopped calling games for 2GB and on the odd occasion whenever Moore was scheduled to call a match after Ray's 2GB Continuous Call Team show, Ray refused to mention anything about Moore (e.g. In the past, he would say something like "That's the end of the show. Coming up next, Andrew Moore will be calling the game between....."). It was almost as if Moore didn't exist.

Finally, I read at the time that Moore initially was going to take legal action against Hadley, but withdrew it after leaving 2GB. So, something definitely happened behind the scenes which prompted Moore to even consider the legal action in the first place. I remember thinking how strange it was that after featuring prominently on 2GB's NRL coverage for years, he just vanished into obscurity before joining ABC radio.

A shame The Game Plan isn't on tv anymore. I really did enjoy it when Moore hosted the show on Ch10 (alongside Joel Caine and Blocker, which made a good panel combination) and it struck the right balance, focusing predominantly on footy talk whilst occasionally interspersed with anecdotes and humor. Unfortunately, the show's future was doomed after Ch10 lost their bid for the NRL tv rights.

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well there you go, as I said it doesnt surprise me.

Even if there wasnt a rift, if you get a offered a number 1 job when youre still working as a number 2 man, you take the job offered. Also during the summer I noticed Moore was reporting the Shield matches for Grandstand, which is pretty much Morrows old job.

Good on him though, glad hes still commentating, and would be interesting if he gets a gig on 7 for the World Cup.

undertaker

Coach
Well there you go, as I said it doesnt surprise me.

Even if there wasnt a rift, if you get a offered a number 1 job when youre still working as a number 2 man, you take the job offered. Also during the summer I noticed Moore was reporting the Shield matches for Grandstand, which is pretty much Morrows old job.

Good on him though, glad hes still commentating, and would be interesting if he gets a gig on 7 for the World Cup.

Would love to see Voss call matches as well. Did a very good job in the 2013 RLWC.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Voss though, given his Fox Sports contract ends at the end of this year.

roughyedspud

Coach
Vossy is passionate about international RL too...id probably have him hosting the main show before kick off

Vossy is passionate about international RL too...id probably have him hosting the main show before kick off

Agree.

David Morrow and Andrew Moore as the main game callers, with Vossy in the studio hosting pre-, mid-, and post game analysis.

However the catch is that Vossy is now employed by Fox Sports. I do not know if they would let him work for Channel 7.

wests1

Juniors
Love Vossy's calling and his love for the game (internationals included) in general. Should be part of the team if he's free.
He's also another one to mark down as a victim of the facist Hadley as well. That should be enough itself to get him a gig for any self respecting rugby league call.
I particularly loved his analysis of local rl history and culture at the games he was calling at rlwc13 in the north of England. He knows his stuff.

Latest posts