What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 wins TV rights

morningstar

Juniors
Confirmation from 7 and RLWC on the TV rights today. I've been impressed how the organizers have been drip feeding information to the press in the build up to the big announcement...

The Channel 7 Network, Australia’s most-watched broadcast television platform, today confirmed an agreement for all-encompassing coverage of the Rugby League World Cup to be co-hosted by Australia and New Zealand from 27 October to 2 December 2017.

Seven’s agreement for the Rugby League World Cup 2017 delivers all rights in Australia including free-to-air broadcast television and subscription television rights, online and mobile. Seven will broadcast live and free all 28 games, using all their expertise to showcase international Rugby League to Australian households like never before.

Seven has also been appointed to undertake the host broadcast for international television of all games played in Australia in the Rugby League World Cup 2017. Seven’s partnership with the Rugby League World Cup follows Seven’s successful broadcast of the sport’s pinnacle
event in 2013.

Michael Brown, Chief Executive Officer, Rugby League World Cup 2017 said: “The Seven Network is widely renowned as a leader in sports broadcasting and the Rugby League World Cup 2017 Organising Committee is excited by the opportunities that this partnership presents to both the tournament and the sport as a whole.

Tim Worner, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Seven West Media, said: “We’re delighted to be the home of the Rugby League World Cup. We are looking forward to working with them. Our securing of the Cup is yet another step in our development as we build the platforms to create our future. The Rugby League World Cup delivers our business an extraordinary opportunity to drive home our leadership as we broadcast the AFL Grand Final, the Melbourne Cup, the Rugby League World Cup, the Australian Open, the Olympic Winter Games and the
Commonwealth Games across late 2017 and early 2018.”

morningstar

Juniors
Seven’s agreement for the Rugby League World Cup 2017 delivers all rights in Australia including free-to-air broadcast television and subscription television rights,

Just noticed the bit in bold after re-reading. Foxtel could still end up simulcasting some of the games as well. Hmmmm.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Yeah cannot wait for the VFL channel to show League.

Would be happy with Ten or ABC not the VFL propaganda station.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Great announcement. Ch7 will unearth some better commentators than we have at present on 9.

LESStar58

Referee
I enjoyed Ryan Phelan anchoring the coverage last time. Not thrilled that J. Wilson is likely to get the gig this time around.

Can't wait for the draw tomorrow!

undertaker

Coach
One of the things I'm looking forward to in this World Cup is the tv coverage, compared to the massive screw-up last time in 2008 when Colin Love gave the tv rights to Ch9/Fox Sports and the radio rights to 2GB on a silver platter without any negotiations. I still remember listening to 2GB in the car on the way to Allianz Stadium and Ray Hadley was bagging out international RL in the pre-game show, saying it was a waste of time etc. Excluding the final, all Ch9 matches (Superpool group matches, semis) were on 1-2 hour delay. If Ch7's coverage resembles their efforts in 2013, I am looking forward to it.

Infact, to show how amateur Ch9 and Colin Love were, I still remember the Australia vs New Zealand match at Allianz that I attended. Although the Ch9 coverage for the Australia vs NZ match began at 8:30pm (including 30 min pre-game/Australiana promo, match being 1hr delay), Ch9's match coverage was so heavily saturated with ads to the point where Fox Sports replay starting at 9:30pm finished before Ch9's coverage, haha! I remember arriving home after 11pm and the match was still going on Ch9 (didn't finish until close to 11:30pm). How pathetic. So, if you weren't at the game and wanted to watch the match on tv, you were better off waiting until 9:30pm to watch it on Fox Sports. Everywhere outside of Australia broadcasted all matches live , but we here in Australia were stuck with the delayed telecasts for the Ch9 matches.

thorson1987

Coach
Yeah cannot wait for the VFL channel to show League.

Would be happy with Ten or ABC not the VFL propaganda station.

So i take it you didn't watc any of the last world cup?

7 did an excellent job of it.

Shat over everything 9 had done for international rl or nrl for the past 15 years.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The fact they rubbed the noses of their arsewipe morning show presenters right in it, shows Seven are committed to this.

Those numpties hated every minute of it.

adamkungl

Immortal
Lol how did Meninga ever consider becoming a politician, he's such a poor speaker.

Not surprised to see this though
"Mal, what makes the world cup special?"
"Australia Australia Australia Australia"

juro

Bench
Lol how did Meninga ever consider becoming a politician, he's such a poor speaker.

Not surprised to see this though
"Mal, what makes the world cup special?"
"Australia Australia Australia Australia"
I thought he was going to relive his political career during that interview. He looked so uncomfortable I thought he was going to bail after the first question!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I enjoyed Ryan Phelan anchoring the coverage last time. Not thrilled that J. Wilson is likely to get the gig this time around.

Can't wait for the draw tomorrow!

Is it confirmed? I don't mind Jim Wilson but much prefer Mel McLaughlin should she still be at 7 by then. She's a league fan too.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The last time Ch 7 were announced the rights to the Rugby League World Cup it was in their 6pm news. It really got fans exciting the fact they said all games will be shown live on 7mate and Australian games replayed later in the day.

Now the fact that not only games are live on 7mate but Australian games are live on 7. That's right LIVE ON CHANNEL 7!!!!

Unlike those idiots from Ch 9 that only showed the semis and final live.

Latest posts