What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 wins TV rights

morningstar

Juniors
Benji's been tapped up for a pundit role with 7...

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/06/08/03/34/blair-will-set-kiwi-culture-right-benji

Although after being sounded out to commentate for the Seven Network during the World Cup, he admits he is unlikely to be selected.

"I'm never going to rule myself out of contention. I still honestly believe I got what it takes to play at that level. I don't know where the selectors or the coach sits with that," he said.

"Shaun Johnson, Kieran Foran, it's a pretty solid halves combination. But if I can get on the tour and be part of the squad, I'd love to."

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Apparently 7 have approached a MMM commentator to be part of the team, I would assume Dan Ginnane would be the one they are referring to. Not a bad option, at least he calls games with passion rather than just going through the motions like Rabs and Gus do these days.

thorson1987

Coach
Apparently 7 have approached a MMM commentator to be part of the team, I would assume Dan Ginnane would be the one they are referring to. Not a bad option, at least he calls games with passion rather than just going through the motions like Rabs and Gus do these days.

Yeah I love Ginnane calling the games on MMM.

But imagine if it was Anthony Maroon and they got him to do the Lebanon games.

I would like to see David Morrow, formerly of ABC, as the main caller. He is outstanding.

Channel 7 may be scared of hiring him because of his mildly racist jokes that got him fired from ABC.

Coastbloke

Bench
Well, whoever they get for the tournament lets hope the put the approriate effort into it, particularly the opening ceremony and Final.

Although I'm not expecting Origin type ratings, even with the complete lack of respect that Nine gave the last ANZAC Test, it still hit the 1.5 Million viewer mark and will probably comfortably beat the Bledisloe Cup, as it has done for several years now.

Imagine they put enough effort into that they achieved 2 Million Australian mainland viewers, and the game ended in a thriller like the Ryan Hall non try in 2014 or the Shaun Johnson try in the 2013 WC.. :blush:

morningstar

Juniors
Nathan Cayless signed up for the broadcast team...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...w-blues-says-mal-meninga-20170715-gxc0a5.html

Nathan Cayless will be making his commentary debut during the Rugby League World Cup.

The former Parramatta captain has made the transition into the coaching ranks at his beloved blue and gold and is overseeing feeder club Wentworthville. As the most capped NRL captain of them all – 217 first-grade games he had the armband, plus he made 39 appearances for the Kiwis – the 39-year-old will provide unique insights during the Seven Network's broadcast of the tournament.

morningstar

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ton-to-help-rebuild-club-20170721-gxghhd.html

Andrew Moore and Dan Ginnane are set to make the transition from radio to television commentary for the Rugby League World Cup.

The pair are poised to get the nod as callers for the season-ending tournament, which will be broadcast on the Seven Network. Moore is working for the ABC, while Ginnane is plying his trade at Triple M. Seven's Jim Wilson and NSW coach Laurie Daley will head up the coverage, along with several other league luminaries.

Seven and Fox Sports were in negotiations about the prospect of a simulcast with the pay-TV operator in a move that would have provided it with additional content for its dedicated league channel. However, a deal couldn't be struck and Seven will have the exclusive Australian rights.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ton-to-help-rebuild-club-20170721-gxghhd.html

Andrew Moore and Dan Ginnane are set to make the transition from radio to television commentary for the Rugby League World Cup.

The pair are poised to get the nod as callers for the season-ending tournament, which will be broadcast on the Seven Network. Moore is working for the ABC, while Ginnane is plying his trade at Triple M. Seven's Jim Wilson and NSW coach Laurie Daley will head up the coverage, along with several other league luminaries.

Seven and Fox Sports were in negotiations about the prospect of a simulcast with the pay-TV operator in a move that would have provided it with additional content for its dedicated league channel. However, a deal couldn't be struck and Seven will have the exclusive Australian rights.
Looks like poor Fox Sports F..k up

Tigers1986

Juniors
Fox Sports handling of their league channel has been horrible. Should've got the rights secured and then simulcast the 'big' games to Channel 7 or whomever buttered them up with cash to show it.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I am absolutely fuming that Ginnane will be calling the games. He mocked the 2013 WC on his radio show almost nightly.

Billythekid

First Grade
Fox Sports handling of their league channel has been horrible. Should've got the rights secured and then simulcast the 'big' games to Channel 7 or whomever buttered them up with cash to show it.

You would think they would be desperate for more content in the AFL and NRL off season. The games might not be ratings bonanzas but I'm sure they'll rate better than stuff like the A league.

Billythekid

First Grade
Might just be a bit of posturing from both sides. Fox want to limit how much they pay and seven want them to pay as much as possible. It might take a while for a deal to be reached. It's definitely in foxs best interest to get simulcasting of the World Cup. I can potentially see why seven might be hesitant to give that up.