What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9.......again

Victor Trumper

Juniors
This was in the Sun Heral today;

Nine digs live footy
Theres a push from the sports department at Channel Nine for live rugby league to be aired next year on Friday and Sundays. This follows record ratings for the Grand Final........

and it goes on. Basically they want to show live football..

Personally I'm against it being televised live in the state/city the game is played in as its just another reason for lazy buggers not to get of their date and get to the game. However if they are really going to push for it, maybe there is a chance for the NRL to renegotiate the terms of the TV deals.

For instance, they can show it live, on the basis its shown live nationwide. Or they up the $'s for the deal to compensate the lost gate takings.

Thoughts my learned comrades......

Azkatro

First Grade
I'll agree with those sentiments. Live footy is the way to go, I mean rugby league has been lacking in this department as far as free-to-air coverage goes for a long time now. Cricket, AFL and Union have all been shown live for years on free-to-air and the last thing the NRL needs is for Soccer Australia to catch up before they do.

Just don't show it in the location of the match unless it's a sellout. Cricket's always worked that way and we all know one day cricket is a ratings bonanza for Nine.

simon says

First Grade
Thats great news,about bloody time the games were shown live.I cant believe they are doing something right....im in shock.

There is nothing better than sport LIVE......delayed leaves me el coldo.

Victor Trumper

Juniors
Thats why if they do allow them to show games live, they must renegotiate the deal. The reason AFL gets such a good run in NSW and QLD is because the terms of their deal stipulates that 'X' amount of games need to be shown there.

I'm not saying we should just 'take their word for it', as I wouldn't trust CH9 as far as I could spit, but if its a contractual obligation, they have to do it.

Matt23

Staff member
This all sounds a bit too logical for the boneheads at channel 9, and on the lack of coverage of the test, it's obvious that 9 is flying the white flag and bowing to yawnion world cup, what would you rather watch, the fumbling, bumbling go slow rugby world cup or a fast free flowing rugby league test? :roll:

Mark Rudd

Juniors
"Nine digs live footy
Theres a push from the sports department at Channel Nine for live rugby league to be aired next year on Friday and Sundays. This follows record ratings for the Grand Final........ "

Interesting to note is that it went on to say that the NRL GF peaked at 4.5 million viewers accross Australia. Not bad eh.

"Just don't show it in the location of the match unless it's a sellout"

Yeah right. There's been about 3 sellouts in the last 50 years.

mullet

Juniors
joondalup_giant said:
mullet said:
dimitri said:
id rather watch 2 league powerhouses

than yawnion blowouts involving minnows

Australia is the only powerhouse :)

have u seen the G.B and N.Z sides??i think G.B will put up a fight against us mabye more????

nz yeh got smacked earlier this yr
as for gb put up a good fight at home but aus will prolly win as for playing in oz got smashed (last year??) :)

sorry but imo international league is a joke

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Victor Trumper said:
This was in the Sun Heral today;

Nine digs live footy
Theres a push from the sports department at Channel Nine for live rugby league to be aired next year on Friday and Sundays. This follows record ratings for the Grand Final........

and it goes on. Basically they want to show live football.

Personally I'm against it being televised live in the state/city the game is played in as its just another reason for lazy buggers not to get of their date and get to the game. However if they are really going to push for it, maybe there is a chance for the NRL to renegotiate the terms of the TV deals.

For instance, they can show it live, on the basis its shown live nationwide. Or they up the $'s for the deal to compensate the lost gate takings.

Thoughts my learned comrades......

what was the heading of that story(in the smh)

Razor

Coach
Matt23 said:
This all sounds a bit too logical for the boneheads at channel 9, and on the lack of coverage of the test, it's obvious that 9 is flying the white flag and bowing to yawnion world cup, what would you rather watch, the fumbling, bumbling go slow rugby world cup or a fast free flowing rugby league test? :roll:

The League would win.

Last year Aus-GB & Aus-NZ both rated higher than any RU game in places both matches were shown in prime time. QLD, NSW & ACT.

Bengal

Juniors
Victor Trumper said:
Thats why if they do allow them to show games live, they must renegotiate the deal. The reason AFL gets such a good run in NSW and QLD is because the terms of their deal stipulates that 'X' amount of games need to be shown there.

I'm not saying we should just 'take their word for it', as I wouldn't trust CH9 as far as I could spit, but if its a contractual obligation, they have to do it.

I agree Victor Trumper.

This is a golden opportunity to renegotiate the deal!

More money, better nationwide coverage, test footie!!!

Whatever - its an opportunity :D

dimitri

First Grade
we need a deal similar to the afl

where games are on tv at the same time all around the country

In-goal

Bench
I am more of a fan of Live monday night football nation wide, that way league could become the national monday night obbsesion.

A 7:20pm kick off in Townsville between the Broncos and Cowboys on Monday night, coverage would start at 7pm rappping up with half an hour of weekend in review post match.

before this happens we would need a 16th team to add an extra game to the weekend, so we could have monday night live on 9.

The big secret to big ratings is fan fare if we can start selling out games then we will raise the roof in ratings.

some one before stated that the GF peaked at 4.5mill nation wide, that killed any other sport unblieavable.