What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 don't give a XXXX about the fans.

mullup

Juniors
For those of you that missed it, there are a group of Brisbanians trying to build support, in an effort to have future Grand Finals returned to 3pm timeslot.

You can register your support by emailing sundayarvogf@optusnet.com.au

(My theory is, that we can only hurt 9 through their major sponsors... it's futile approaching 9 over this, and even more so the NRL.... We've gotta look at ways to get CUB, Telstra etc on board. Money talks, and so can the major sponsors clients.)

I can see it now....

Hello Major sponsor.

You know how you get massive, record breaking converage for NRL Grand Finals played on a Sunday night? Well we dont like it.

So could you just ask the NRL to move back to Sunday afternoon on our behalf.

Sure you'll lose millions in coverage.....but in Brisbane we have 28 people send e-mails to us so you know we can throw our weight around.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. I was tanked on your product at the time of thinking this idea up, posting it on a web site and then writing this message to you.

chileman

Coach
mullup said:
For those of you that missed it, there are a group of Brisbanians trying to build support, in an effort to have future Grand Finals returned to 3pm timeslot.

You can register your support by emailing sundayarvogf@optusnet.com.au

(My theory is, that we can only hurt 9 through their major sponsors... it's futile approaching 9 over this, and even more so the NRL.... We've gotta look at ways to get CUB, Telstra etc on board. Money talks, and so can the major sponsors clients.)
Yeah I saw it on tele last night and I will definately be emailing them with my support....actually I'll be letting as many people know as possible....my 3 year old still hasn't seen a GF yet because of the timeslot :roll: bring back Sunday arvos!

It could work. If enough people tell the sponsors they will boycott their products, they will cave in and push for a Sunday arvo GF to the NRL. A similar thing happened in America, something to do with some right wing lunatic christian group... can't remember what it was about but the companies saw their complaints as a risk and decided it wasn't worth it.

I'm not sure about Sunday arvo... I mean I'd prefer it but the Sunday Night ratings speak for themselves... hmmm...then again, yeah go back to Sunday arvo... kids need to see the footy.

JK

nospam49 said:
I can see it now....

Hello Major sponsor.

You know how you get massive, record breaking converage for NRL Grand Finals played on a Sunday night? Well we dont like it.

Sure you'll lose millions in coverage.....but in Brisbane we have 28 people send e-mails to us so you know we can throw our weight around.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. I was tanked on your product at the time of thinking this idea up, posting it on a web site and then writing this message to you.

Whatever you think about the issue - that is pretty funny! :lol:

I like Sun night games sorry.

salivor

First Grade
You wouldn't have to do much to convince New Zealand viewers that the night GF is a stupid idea when it's past midnight by the time it finishes with no public holiday the next day. But hey NSW has a public holiday so it must be a great idea :roll: .

salivor said:
You wouldn't have to do much to convince New Zealand viewers that the night GF is a stupid idea when it's past midnight by the time it finishes with no public holiday the next day. But hey NSW has a public holiday so it must be a great idea :roll: .

That's right.

A 3pm kickoff means that it's a 5pm start in NZ and 1pm in WA. Plus we need kids to be able to watch GFs, they need to be inspired and take up the game or at least become fans.

DIEHARD

----
It is our damn sport and the overwhelming majority of people want the game on in the Sunday arvo. The ratings may be less but everyone knows people have BBQ and go to functions. So there are more people watching each TV set.

Also the Grand Final is too late for people in NZ to watch and people in Brisbane aren't lucky enough to get a public holiday the following day. The time change was made purely for Channel 9.

It must change back.

mightybears

Bench
lets develop the game in nz, oh thats right the grand final comes on at 11.30 pm, great idea
it stuffed up generations of tradition, people getting together to watch the gf, does anyone think the sponsors would not be there at 3pm

move it back ya news ltd @#$%^!

m0j0

Bench
I think the biggest loss from the viewers perspective with the night time GF, was the all day event it used to be. I used to love the fact they'd show all 3 grades, all of the pre-game entertainment, previewing the main event throughout the day. You'd have your mates over for a BBQ and plenty of beer, watch a full day of footy, maybe even get in a quick game of backyard footy. It was as much tradition as the game itself.

I miss those days.

StGeorge

Juniors
can see it now....

Hello Major sponsor.

Thanks for your time.

pcpp

Juniors
What public holiday is the day after the GF in NSW?

What is it called - is it specially for the NRL?

bartman

Immortal
pcpp said:
What public holiday is the day after the GF in NSW?

What is it called - is it specially for the NRL?

It's our Labour Day, first Monday in October. A few years ago NRL moved the grand final a week back so it would fall on the long weekend.

lodown

Juniors
Night Grand Finals mean less drinking time after the full time siren for people who have to work on monday :(

Oh it gets better....

Dear major sponsor...

I pretend to have the best wishes of the game at heart, but in reality Im am writing this letter for selfish reasons.

You see, I want the NRL Grand Final moves back to thye after noon.

As an extreme alcoholic, I find these days I cant stay awke untill kickoff. Now granted in the "Good ole days" I was out like a light at 4pm....but still, on a good day I could be away to see the halftime whistle.

These day though, my Grand Final day ends before Channel 9 goes to the news.

So....with the so called "Best wishes for the game" at heart. Ive decided to send a letter threatening you, a major sponsor of the game I supposedly love, with a complete boycott if you can not convince channel 9 to change back to Sunday after noon.

Im sure you will understand where I am coming from and I trust my threat will only make you want to further your time as a sponsors of the game I love.

Binge dri....I mean, Rugby League.

Have a nice aday and remember.....Im watching you!

P.S. Why is it called Johnny "Walker" if Im ****ing legless after two shots?

Bengal

Juniors
JK said:
nospam49 said:
I can see it now....

Hello Major sponsor.

Thanks for your time.

Whatever you think about the issue - that is pretty funny! :lol:

I like Sun night games sorry.
Is this funny? Depends on your point of view, try this!

Gidday Major Sponsor

Channel Nine here.
We've got a great idea on how to maximize the NRL’s ratings, therefore offer better value for you.

Ratings in Australia will go through the roof, but in New Zealand they will more than halve, therefore our overall audience will actually fall, but hey, let’s not concentrate on that last little snippet, think of the Australian rating figures thank you very much!

Our super hot new idea, which involves moving their naffy grand final (whatyoumecallit) from day time to night time, actually flies in the face of the traditions of this little sport we are showing and you are sponsoring, but not to worry, as we’ve never given a flying f*ck about those suckers who tune in anyway (check the footie show to see what I mean).

Our super hot new idea (one of many I must say, remember that super cool skycam we brought in earlier this year!) has the potential to have a detrimental impact on our future audience. This is because the littlie ones have to go to school the next day so the big social gatherings, that for many kids became a tradition and really helped cement the game of Rugby League into their blood has become a thing of the past.
Not to worry, who gives a f*ck about that silly little game’s future, as you can see already, here at Channel Nine, we haven’t given a rats about their past (their silly traditions blah) since lord knows when?

Why oh why the parents of these kids can’t let them stay up late to watch the big game is beyond me anyway, I mean it can’t be that late in Qld? As for NZ so what if it’s midnight before their kids go to bed, so what if its first day back in a new team the next day!

I don’t know why all these whiners just can’t move to our blessed state that is Nsw.

Anyway major sponsor I am digressing, please, think in the now, think killer ratings (but don’t think too deeply!) and finally think of what we can get out of this sport while we can!

Regards
Abe Buggeredifiknow
Channel Nine Crony

P.S. There’s been some dissention in the ranks of the followers of this sport as of late, so we’ve decided to quell this for now by showing all the games in their finals series, but don’t let this fool you major sponsor, as this is a one-off, we’ll be back to treating them like garbage again next year.
I don’t know, with AFL under our belt, why oh why do we bother with this sport :roll:

mullup

Juniors
For the majority that agree,...(that) NOTHING beats the sunday arvo GF, the esky, and the box on the back deck, bbq smoldering, you now have an opportunity to register your support via the email address sundayarvogf@optusnet.com.au

...and for the rest of you, ... that have followed the game of RL for two whole seasons now... you're gunna love sunday arvo GF's (you've just gotta find some friends). :alcho: