What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 Footy Show 2011 - New Year - New Ad - Same Crap

cleary89

Coach
That was actually their worst revue in ages. Heaps of back up dancers, normally more about the boys then the back up dancers.

Still, much better than anything we can produce. Although if tickets to your shows are sold out 3 years in advance you can do that kinda stuff.

undertaker

Coach
I accidently IQ'd the AFL footy show as well and just watched parts of it.

It was crap, but I must say the dancing skits at the end were high quality.

They really put a lot of time and effort into it.

The NRL Footy Show GF skits at the start of the show were appalling. I don't know why they bother. Same old shit.

Get the players doing some stuff. I'm sure a few of them can dance.

Yes, I admit that this year's AFL GF show wasn't as good as last year's or 2006 (I think that particular year had the best GF show), but it still shat all over the NRL one in every aspect. The most notable difference between the two is the structure/choreography of the show.

I don't care whether or not you hate AFL as a sport (I hate it too, even moreso than Union, and will never understand how people can enjoy a game that rewards teams missing the goal). However, I'm not talking about AFL as a sport. You take one look at any AFL footy show (especially the GF shows) and you can immediately see that a lot of effort, planning and time has gone into it. Whereas with the NRL one, there is no structure, no flow, no in-depth analysis or conversation (just a bunch of morons who can't speak English properly, all trying to make a name for themselves as an amateur stand-up comedian), segue from one segment to another segment etc. It looks like Fatty et al. have just rocked up into a studio at the last minute and decided "Hey, let's just improvise the whole 2 hour show", which could work in the improbable situation where all pannelists have good improvisational skills, but they are the complete contrary to that. Another interesting thing was that tickets for the NRL GF show were only $5/$10, yet I saw a multitude of empty seats when the camera panned to the crowd, whereas the AFL GF show at Rod Laver Arena is about over $75/ticket, yet managed to sellout and get over 13000 ppl in it.

Until this situation changes, our footy show, the flagship tv program of the NRL, which was once a reputable, high-rating, must-see show years ago (when I'd say we were better than the AFL show at one stage), we will continue to be the laughing stock in the Australian media (more notably, Sydney), we will continue to foster the "bogan" image associated with our sport, and will continue to lose the respect of even the most ardent RL supporters. And we wonder why STerlo jumped off the sinking ship at the end of 2006?

P.S. Regarding Timmah's comment how both shows have been doing the song parody for years, last year's AFL GF show was on a week before the NRL's. If you look at the intros of both, you can CLEARLY see that the NRL version blatantly copied the AFL's style of doing it, yet did a very poor attempt of it (even though last year's song intro was a lot better than this year's. (Mario dressed as a sheila? huh?))

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Yes, I admit that this year's AFL GF show wasn't as good as last year's or 2006 (I think that particular year had the best GF show), but it still shat all over the NRL one in every aspect. The most notable difference between the two is the structure/choreography of the show.

I don't care whether or not you hate AFL as a sport (I hate it too, even moreso than Union, and will never understand how people can enjoy a game that rewards teams missing the goal). However, I'm not talking about AFL as a sport. You take one look at any AFL footy show (especially the GF shows) and you can immediately see that a lot of effort, planning and time has gone into it. Whereas with the NRL one, there is no structure, no flow, no in-depth analysis or conversation (just a bunch of morons who can't speak English properly, all trying to make a name for themselves as an amateur stand-up comedian), segue from one segment to another segment etc. It looks like Fatty et al. have just rocked up into a studio at the last minute and decided "Hey, let's just improvise the whole 2 hour show", which could work in the improbable situation where all pannelists have good improvisational skills, but they are the complete contrary to that. Another interesting thing was that tickets for the NRL GF show were only $5/$10, yet I saw a multitude of empty seats when the camera panned to the crowd, whereas the AFL GF show at Rod Laver Arena is about over $75/ticket, yet managed to sellout and get over 13000 ppl in it.

Until this situation changes, our footy show, the flagship tv program of the NRL, which was once a reputable, high-rating, must-see show years ago (when I'd say we were better than the AFL show at one stage), we will continue to be the laughing stock in the Australian media (more notably, Sydney), we will continue to foster the "bogan" image associated with our sport, and will continue to lose the respect of even the most ardent RL supporters.

Agree with everything you've said.

We scraped the bottom of the barrell with that Mario skit. Absolutely awful but sadly par for the course.

undertaker

Coach
They used to have a Players Review on the NRL Grand Final show until about 3 or 4 years ago, not sure why they stopped it!

2008 was the last year the GF show was held at the Sydney Entertainment Centre. 2009, there was no GF show, it was just done in the normal studio in Willoughby. Last year was the first year it was held outside the Opera House. Whilst I like the scenery and backdrop of it, there have been complaints this year and last year that it was too cold and windy there. Would much prefer it at either the Entertainment Centre (if they still want to hold celebrations in the Darling Harbour precinct) or at the Acer Arena (which I would much prefer, as it has a larger capacity and more space around the area). Either way or another, like the AFL GF show at Rod Laver Arena since 1996, this is a chance for the NRL to start afresh and make this GF show an "event"

wittyfan

Referee
I have the 2007 GF show on video still and yep the Entertainment Centre definitely gave it a bigger vibe, also I never realised the 2009 one was just in the studio!

cleary89

Coach
Just following on from the players can't talk.

DCE on WWOS, lots of "you knows" but spoke very well. Should become a regular on TFS. Speaks well, young, talented and seems like a decent guy.

Hooch

Juniors
He has a lovely inflection to his voice. I assumed young Master Cherry-Evans was raised in the Eastern suburbs.

Brutus

Referee
He has a lovely inflection to his voice. I assumed young Master Cherry-Evans was raised in the Eastern suburbs.

Apart from the "you knows" which he can easily lose, he is without doubt the best RL player to listen to.

He has a great voice, without completely adopting that toff private school union boy accent.

Best speakers in RL

1. DCE
2.??
3.??

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Americans love saying "you know " ad nauseum, especially their movie stars. And yes, I agree that DCE speaks very well

undertaker

Coach
I have the 2007 GF show on video still and yep the Entertainment Centre definitely gave it a bigger vibe, also I never realised the 2009 one was just in the studio!

I thought it was very poor that the 2009 gf show was confined to the studio. Id much prefer the gf show to be held at a large indoor venue than outdoors. It gives it more vibe and atmosphere. Entertainment centre or Acer arena would be my 2 preferences

timka4

Bench
Apart from the "you knows" which he can easily lose, he is without doubt the best RL player to listen to.

He has a great voice, without completely adopting that toff private school union boy accent.

Best speakers in RL

1. DCE
2.??
3.??
Ennis also speaks very well

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'm going to throw in a couple of good speakers that surprised me: Dave Taylor and Sam Thaiday.

Taylor is very well spoken and intelligent for a guy who looks like an orc whilst Thaiday hate him as I do is pretty relaxed and an everyday kind of bloke.

I'll also throw in Chris 'yeah mate this is f**king awesome mate it's f**king all good mate' Heighington. :sarcasm:

Latest posts