What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 Give AFL a Free Ride

skeepe

Immortal
In one of the most disgusting programming decisions I have ever seen by this disgrace for a network, channel 9 will be showing a repeat of the Al Pacino movie Heat at 8:30pm on Friday night. The Raiders vs Storm match will follow at 11:55pm.

What an absolute joke! Are they serious about promoting rugby league or what? Fair enough they usually show a friday night AFL game down there, but the AFL finals are now on and 10 have the exclusive rights to those. What's the excuse this time? I fail to see how the movie Heat, shown 1000000 times in the last few years will rate as high was watching the city's only rugby league team play their first finals match in a number of years.

If channel 9 ever get the rights to broadcast the NRL again I'll give it away. Not only that, channel 9 Sydney are not broadcasting ANY of the games live! That's right, not a single one.

Melbourne fans can leave their complaints at http://discussion.ninemsn.com.au/bbstvshows1.asp?topicid=&d1=true&l1=800 but I doubt they ever get read.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Fair enough that the sydney games are not broadcast live as I feel that if you want to see it live, go to the game (plus it gives me a chance to get home to see the roosters match after the Dogs Warriors game!).

But not showing the Melbourne game live, how's it suppose to increase in popularity if not given the chance! Whens the contract up for renewal? Needs to have some sort of clause saying that it must be shown at a certain time.

King Tigerman

Juniors
but remember 6pm saturday theres news commitments

also on melbourne why isnt it on tv , because you dont get to games if the swans can get 72000 to a home game in sydney you can fill olympic park

dimitri

First Grade
this is an absolute disgrace

the nrl should give them an official warning

and we should all email them and vent our anger

ill write mine now

Stevo_G

Juniors
f**k nrl and nine are f**kheads i would maybe understand a little if it was a not the storm in the finals and the AFL was on but it isn't but this is stupid

El Diablo

Post Whore
King Tigerman said:

also on melbourne why isnt it on tv , because you dont get to games if the swans can get 72000 to a home game in sydney you can fill olympic park

And Melbourne call themselves the sporting capital of Australia :roll:

They couldn't even beat Atlanta in their Olympic bid :lol:

beast

Juniors
The Channel 9 hierachy..meaning Kerry Packer have considerable sway over the News/NRL and this programming would have been done with News/NRL full knowledge and now apparently consent.
Do Pay TV get to cover it?
This is a terrible decision but typifies the arrogance of the 9 programmers and merely justifies the criticism levelled at the News/NRL when they awarded the tv and radio rights for what was a cheap price.
I guarantee the Roosters have never been unfairly treated by 9.

dimitri

First Grade
i totally agree

this is a disgrace

it would never happen in the afl so why does it happen with us

:x :x :x :x :x :x

timmy!!!!

Juniors
El Duque said:
King Tigerman said:

And Melbourne call themselves the sporting capital of Australia :roll:

They couldn't even beat Atlanta in their Olympic bid :lol:

If you ask me this shows that Melbourne does like sport because how are we meant to watch an AFL final and a NRL final if they are on TV at the same time. This way we get to watch both.

And all the people who are just channel surfing will prefer AFL over RL if they are going to choose either so why would 9 put them on at the same time. If they put it on after the AFL finishes when AFL supporters are changing the channel then they can get a wider audience. And if you are a Storm fan and you don't stay up on a friday night for a final then you are not really a fan are you.

Of course I'm sure you guys only care about how it looks like RL is getting screwed by 9/NRL/AFL rather than actually wanting an audience for the game.

Jono Russell

Bench
i dont know if i have read this topic correct but i have seen several advertisments saying the game is being played at 8:30 on ch:9

Alan Shore

First Grade
somethingwithjohn said:
i dont know if i have read this topic correct but i have seen several advertisments saying the game is being played at 8:30 on ch:9

That's NSW not VIC.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Raiders 2003 said:
3 swans player on the NRL Footy show tonight.....go figure! :roll:

In 96 when the Swans went well they'd have them on the Footy Show and channel 7 had the rights. Channel 9 suck.

syphon

Juniors
El Duque said:
Raiders 2003 said:

In 96 when the Swans went well they'd have them on the Footy Show and channel 7 had the rights. Channel 9 suck.

Aaaaaw diddums. /sniff /tear

we dont want any AFL on the tv *cry* *sook* and channel 9 shouldnt show any of it,

you really are a close minded little dear aren't you?

El Diablo

Post Whore
syphon said:
El Duque said:
Raiders 2003 said:

Aaaaaw diddums. /sniff /tear

we dont want any AFL on the tv *cry* *sook* and channel 9 shouldnt show any of it,

you really are a close minded little dear aren't you?

Who said anyone didn't want it?

The point is that 9 should treat both codes equally or maybe it's just the sheilas down South are scared if they show League they might find that people actually like it.

syphon

Juniors
El Duque said:
Who said anyone didn't want it?

The point is that 9 should treat both codes equally or maybe it's just the sheilas down South are scared if they show League they might find that people actually like it.

perhaps its a case of the swans commanding 30,000 average crowds, whilst the storm are battling with sub 10,000 crowds (despite prolonged success). those figures wouldnt command much media coverage, certainly not as much as the swans or lions for example.

Latest posts