What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 keen to poach union talent

Mighty Tiger

Bench
SpaceMonkey said:
BigT said:
just one player
GEORGE GREGAN :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually the return on investment would be about the same as poaching Johns would've given union as he'd probably get injured and retire after a couple of games! (although I rate Johns far higher as a player)

Actually it would be far less considering Gregan is contracted to the ARU till the next world cup isn't he ???

Not just that he wouldn't be anywhere as marketable as what the top line league players would be and I think League would be doing Union a long term service if they got him of there hands - I would go after the man that would replace Gregan ;-)

Umanga and Rokococo would make an impression on League not to mention they would be huge snares for League over in NZ and in the world of Rugby Union ;-)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
legend said:
Spacie, mate, get the blinkers off champ. Who in the all blacks would be faster than guys like Scott Donald, Phil Graham, Brett Stewart, Billy Slater and co?

Most if not all union backs are far bulkier than their league counterparts, who are buit for speed, not size.
Joe Rockocoko and Doug Howlett would easily keep up with the guyss you mention, as would Dan Carter & Nick Evans. And I think you're the one wearing the blinkers, take a look at these guys I've mentioned, none of them are particularly big at all, only Rockocoko would be what you might call a big guy and he's not particularly bulky. Your opinion of union backs seems to be based on the current Australian crop who do seem to be a bit oversized.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Mighty Tiger said:
Umanga and Rokococo would make an impression on League not to mention they would be huge snares for League over in NZ and in the world of Rugby Union ;-)
Umaga would be a huge signing but he's the AB captain so his asking price would be astrionomical, and given his age he wouldn't be worth it. A pity as he was a junior Kiwi and would easily make the switch. Rocokoko would be a better prospect but would also cost a hell of a lot, I'd be more inclined to go for the guys who are International bench-warmers.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Bit of trivia for you, Tana Umaga is a league junior starting out with Wainuiomata and represented Wellington scoring 18 tries for his club team in 1993. Switched to union before the openly went professional (conveniently ignored by the so-called amateur game). Doug Howlett is the younger brother of former South Sydney player Phil who now plays in France.

macavity

Referee
Umaga didn't cut it in the Knights lower grades.

And now he is the All Blacks captain.

Strange huh?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
macavity said:

Strange huh?

Just like Ben Kennedy and Manly they should of signed him when he trailled out for them and well I guess 10years later isn't too late :lol:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
macavity said:

Strange huh?
Wouldn't read too much into that, he still made the junior kiwis so it probably had more to do with homesickness than anything. He wasn't really consistent in Union until maybe '99.

Te Kaha

First Grade
LeagueXIII said:
Bit of trivia for you, Tana Umaga is a league junior starting out with Wainuiomata and represented Wellington scoring 18 tries for his club team in 1993. Switched to union before the openly went professional (conveniently ignored by the so-called amateur game).
And you have "conveniently ignored " that he was never payed to play League so he was still eligable.

Special K

Coach
Didn't Manly cut Rathbone? and Canberra cut Giteau(sp?)?

Union has some good players and I'd love to see us buy their players again. I'm sure buying talented Kiwi players would not only help the NRL but help the Kiwi national team.

I'd love to see them buy some quality players and then "draft" them to the lower ranked sides to help them out.

Moffo

Referee
I could count on one hand the number of union players that id want

Wilkinson
Howlett
Latham
Giteau
Rokocoko

Thanks, but that is about all

Vicious

Bench
That Jerry Collins would be an absolute superstar.He too,played league as a junior and is definately more suited to the game!

taxidriver

Coach
Wilkinson ????

He'd be smashed to a pulp in his first game.

Could you imagine the likes of a Clinton, Webke, Kite or Mason running at him with pace ??

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And you have "conveniently ignored " that he was never payed to play League so he was still eligable.
So Umaga wasn't payed by the Knights? My dig at union was mainly aimed at the fact for years they denegrated the game of rugby league for being professional via their propaganda machine, the media. When we all know most players were/are amateurs in NZ. Banning for life players who associated with league whilst pro cricketers and other pro sportsmen were welcomed. The same pathetic attitude existed in Britain, France, Sth Africa etc.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Vicious said:
That Jerry Collins would be an absolute superstar.He too,played league as a junior and is definately more suited to the game!
Totally agree, he could convert brilliantly to prop or second row. The only reason that he lost his starting spot in the AB team to Jonno Gibbes is because of Gibbes lineout ability, however that's not a factor in League. As you say Collins talents are probably more suited to League than union if anything.

fatshark

Bench
I think a great example of a League player telling Union how it is, is Ryan Mcgoldrick. The kid played for the Tahs and hated the seldom use of the ball.
Ryan has come along nicely now, what was he thinking?

Moffo said:
I could count on one hand the number of union players that id want

Wilkinson
Howlett
Latham
Giteau
Rokocoko

Thanks, but that is about all

I would go for 3 of them. Howlett, Giteau and Rokocoko.

Wilkinson could possibly play half if he had a creatvie 5/8 outside him...his ball running and creativity is almost zero.
Latham is the greatest defensive liability to ever pull on a Wallaby jumper as is a dead set cat. Never mention his name again, have had too many discussions about this with too many others.

Jerry Collins would blitz. Rathbone looks like he would handle it alright, I think Mortlock probably would also.
Carlos Spencer would do well also IMO

Latest posts