What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 - What The?

skeepe

Immortal
While I don't normally read Rebecca Wilson's rubbish, this one caught my eye and, if true, shows the absolute stupidity of some of those at the Nine Network:

--------------------------
Channel 9 league boss Steve Crawley has spoken to the NRL about Fox Sports running its 2:30 Sunday game well over time. Last week's Newcastle-Melbourne game went 25 minutes longer than promised.

"I have spoken to the league and voiced my concerns," Crawley said.

Nine believe Fox Sports should not be allowed to run a game at the same time as the network's match on Sunday because it devalues free-to-air TV rights.

"If a game is on at the same time as ours, we lose exclusivity," Crawley said. "It is a breach of our contract."
----------------------------

Is this guy for real? What did they want Fox Sports to do with the game last week? Have a commentator say "Well folks, there's still 20 minutes to go but as it's now 4pm we're not allowed to broadcast league anymore, if you want to see the final 20 minutes of the match come back at 6pm."

While I suppose I can understand the point about exclusivity, surely that is a scheduling problem and nothing to do with Fox Sports.

Choppies

Coach
Fox cant help if someone gets injured or Penaltys are blown or anything else that stops the clock

Alan Shore

First Grade
What an arrogant prick from Ch9. How dare he talk about getting the bad end of the stick - come back when you're broadcasting League LIVE into Victoria and WA!

Beaussie

First Grade
Tamazoid said:
What an arrogant prick from Ch9. How dare he talk about getting the bad end of the stick - come back when you're broadcasting League LIVE into Victoria and WA!

How about live anywhere in Australia? :lol:

Glenn

First Grade
LOL Beau, that would be a start apart from SOO, and the tests, and occasional club game
Channel Nine and live league broadcast, are not used in the same sentence without the words don't have :roll:

supersoniceagle

Juniors
That is really dumb. That particular game they're talking about had about a million video referee decisions, that's whay it took so long

joondalup_giant

Staff member
foxtel is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better then channel 9, they actualy have commitment and want 2 show the games nation wide(live)

Thomas

First Grade
Yes..Channel 9 suck arse..big time. I don't watch their coverage any more as I can't stand ads being shown all throughout it and the less said about the commentators the better.

Agent Mulder

Bench
Thats Channel 9 for you.
What a nerve...I see they can show the stupid swimming live on a Saturday night but they can't even show a delayed League game on a Saturday night which is a bloody joke.

I hate Channel 9 with a passion...The Sooner the League is on Channel 7 the better.Channel 9 are a disgrace to the game...Their Delayed Friday night game doesn't even start on time because they have an over run of some stuipd Burke's Backyard.

skeepe

Immortal
Oh it just gets better... the TV games for round 8 were announced on the NRL website (under the draw/results section) and in a round where the Roosters take on the Raiders, the Bulldogs play the Broncos and the Sharks and Dragons have one of their highly anticipated grudge matches, the Friday night match of the round is....

Panthers vs Tigers

No, seriously. With Bulldogs (falling apart) vs Broncos (not really in that great form) as the Sunday game.

Now, I know I'm just a biased Raiders supporter shooting my mouth off, but surely the closeness and quality of the matches between the Roosters and the Raiders last year, combined with the fact that both boast almost unchanged lineups, surely I would have thought that match would have been one of the two chosen.

Then again, perhaps it's a blessing in disguise, Fox Sports will probably put on a better coverage for those fans stuck in Canberra anyway. Still, 9 are a disgrace, and I don't think anyone is disputing that.

greeneyed

First Grade
Yep, hard to see how Penrith v Wests Tigers is a better game than Raiders v Roosters.... impossible to see really.

True... Fox Sports at least delivers coverage that is LIVE.

Im now all for the move to Seven....I hope it happens.

They seem to see their coverage of sport as a partnership. I wouldnt only want the move though if they dropped the AFL crap they go on and on about.

Just on nine....if someone here is a member of the Ninemsn message boards do me a favour. Post a thread about the crowd noise at Nine games.

Its like Nine turns the volume on the crowd right now. They can make 26,000 fans in a riot sound like 10 people! :x

Surandy

Bench
The biggest trouble I have with Channel Nein's coverage of rugby league matches is actually staying awake. I've attempted to watch the last 3 weeks Friday night matches and each one I've fallen asleep. First and third weeks it was just during the half time break, woke up before the game restarted after half time. Second week I only managed to catch 40 minutes of play.

12:30am timeslot really shits me, and that's after staying up til after 1am watching some of the Footy Show. The Footy Show is on too late for me to catch the entire show.

mickdo

Coach
Surandy said:
The biggest trouble I have with Channel Nein's coverage of rugby league matches is actually staying awake. I've attempted to watch the last 3 weeks Friday night matches and each one I've fallen asleep. First and third weeks it was just during the half time break, woke up before the game restarted after half time. Second week I only managed to catch 40 minutes of play.

12:30am timeslot really shits me, and that's after staying up til after 1am watching some of the Footy Show. The Footy Show is on too late for me to catch the entire show.
Sounds like you need to invest in a VCR :D

DIEHARD

----
F*** mickdo. You try being a Rugby League fan anywhere except BRISBANE or SYDNEY. Or NSW or QLD. The way Rugby League is treated by channel 9 is a national disgrace and they get away with it!

It's not a laughing matter...

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Well it just gets better from the boys at nine.

This morning the geelong football club will meet with channel nine management to get a better deal for free to air games.

Geelong believe that they don't get enough free to air games and want nine to start giving them some. A representative from nine was on radio saying that Geelong had a very good arguement and that nine will consider how they can help the fledging regional club.

.....Um, excuse me, what about supporting a team in another codes heartland that you have the media rights for. Let channel ten show frinken geelong games, you have a dedicated pay tv channel, at we now all have to pay for even if you don't want it.

Christ they P@$# me off