What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2018

mickeylane

Bench
I never said both Mann and Robson will feature on the bench, it will be one of them, and so it should be. McInnes will need to alleviate some of the physical pressure so he can continue to be effective in attack.

BennyV is right, your track record is pretty poor mate. First you say Field will be the starting fullback, now if Dufty is injured... Field isn't even second in the pecking order!!

As I said in my previous post, Hunt was bought as a halfback, it would stifle our attack to move him to hooker and bring on a inexperienced 5/8 to partner a player who is not a natural halfback.
Hunt is the number one halfback fullstop - BUT you will see him slide into hooker at time from time to time especially during later stages of games because simply put he is brilliant in this position maybe even more effective in the last 10-15 minutes of a game than he would be at half as he would touch the ball 5-6 times during a set rather than 2-3 as a half. You need to think like a coach not a fan .. re the Field prediction it’s been well documented that he was earmarked as the replacement fullback for Dugan by recruitment - Dufty has come through so far an done very well. IMO I thought he would b starting FB .. maybe that’s a little off now but I will expect him to be the no 1 for the dragons at some stage ..

mickeylane

Bench
Dragons will beat Souths - match is way too
Important to lose for the players. Expect big games from
HUNt
Graham
Widdop
JDB

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I think that Souths will beat us. I felt that Allgood,Garrick, Lawrie
and Sele were all sub-standard and should be relegated to ISP. Herbert should replace
Garrick who has got worse not better over the past three years. When I first watched him he was one to watch
being fast, athletic, rugged
and good under the high ball. He needs to build his confidence in ISP. Lomax was impressive.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
How did Herbert and the new second rower from the Tigers go in reserve grade?

Hello Possm. It was the best I have seen from Herbert in about 6-7 games i have watched in NSW Cup. Scored a try and set up a try. Quite dominant I thought whereas last year in the games I saw I thought he was a little average but so was the whole team. On that performance I think he deserves 40 mins against the Rabbits. It just could be that the best centre pairing could be Mann at left and Herbert at right. But Mary has already stated he will pick just 21 for the Charity Shield so I expect he will miss out.

I did not realise Nisbet was on the field till late in Friday's game. Five minutes before the game started he was announced as starting backrower with JDB on the bench. But it was Jack who ran out instead and played all or mostly all the game. Lighting was not great at the ground so I was not conscious of Nisbet till he was on my side of the field in the 2nd 30. He has a lanky frame, a bit like Corey Payne when he hit Reserve Grade. I can only say he made a couple of reasonable hitups. Sorry I can't report at greater depth.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
You're also on record stating that Field will start the year at fullback. So, y'know, you're record sucks!!!

Is this the same MickeyLane who told us we had signed Walmsley or are there two of them? I trust Mary has now learnt to skip Mickey's contributions when he turns to the Forum for some ideas.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I really don't get this 2 Hookers mentality, it's just wrong on so many levels and I've never seen it once benefit a team in any way. Dragon's coaches of the past persisted with that dubious strategy for years and it never helped once that I can recall. And now with less interchanges it makes even less sense.

If your hooker can't play 80 minutes and do his job then get a new one who can. You don't change your 1, 6 or 7 halfway through a game unless you're forced to. Hooker is only a forward in name. Your props, locks and 2nd row are the big dummies, run, tackle, don't think too much, they're interchangeable. The Hooker is different, he is part of your spine, directing and organizing in the most hands on job on the field. Everyone relies on him so much for all the basics and expects him to be in the right place at the right time and unless you have 2 Hookers who play exactly the same game you're going to mess with everyone elses expectations and change the whole structure and dynamics of your game if you swap them out.

Plus it takes a very skillful coach in my opinion to even mess with the prospect.
No two Hookers play the same game, most are completely different, speed, passing, running, kicking, positioning, all different. How can you expect the rest of the team, mid game, to suddenly adjust and Why anyway ? Because your 1st choice needs a rest ? You're losing and you have no faith in your 1st choice hooker but think your 2nd best hooker can suddenly save you ? If your 2nd choice Hooker is such a game breaker why the f**k is he on the bench ?
Makes no sense to me, it's a desperate and disruptive move with no real benefit. Like a bad move from a poor coach.
I see it exactly the same as you.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Listened to Mary interview on the 2GB show this arvo. He’s sounding very relaxed, confident and happy. Talked about finally having the roster he wants. Said he has high expectations.
Team’s in camp from Wednesday in Mudgee for 4 days.
When asked what the plan was with Hunt/Widdop for the CS he said he’d play them for longer minutes together. Why the hell would he broadcast this to all and sundry?? Why?
WTF?
At least he didn’t talk about the power game this time.
Mary has not had a roster that I would have been happy to coach until this year too.

Frank Facer

First Grade
For the Charity Shield I would be looking to start with

1 Dufty
2 Nightingale
3 Lafai
4 Lomax
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
8 Graham
9 McInnes
10 Vaughn
11 Frizell
12 Leilua
13 DeBelin

14 Simms
15 AhMau
16 Mann
17 Host
18 Robson
19 Field
20 Kerr
21 Herbert

That 21 would be the only players I would have in mind for game one, with the 1 to 17 being my most likely squad for round 1

I am keen to see more of Lomax at centre. Mann would be my next pick if not Lomax. I haven't seen Herbert, but am interested to see him play. If Herbert continues to impress, I would not be adverse to us having Lomax and Herbert as our centres mid season. Lafai is rocks or diamonds and lacks pace, but his early 2017 form was great.

I want to see more of Kerr against Souths. He could definitely be next cab off the rank in our prop rotation.

I think Field will become a full time first grade fullback, but I am not sure if he can take Dufty's spot.

I would give Leilua and Host 40 minutes each

I would play Hunt, Widdop and Dufty 70 minutes. We need as much time as possible to to get our spine combinations right.

I can see no reason to pick Aitken at centre and would leave him out of my charity shield squad.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Is this the same MickeyLane who told us we had signed Walmsley or are there two of them? I trust Mary has now learnt to skip Mickey's contributions when he turns to the Forum for some ideas.
The very same! We've also seen such gems as 'Field will start as fullback in Round 1' (with the added 'it has been well documented that he will take over from Dugan' which has not been documented at all) and now we have the glorious 'Robson will never be on the 4 man bench ever'.

Considering all this, I can't wait to see how Robson goes off the bench for us this year!

Alec's-saints

Juniors
For the Charity Shield I would be looking to start with

1 Dufty
2 Nightingale
3 Lafai
4 Lomax
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
8 Graham
9 McInnes
10 Vaughn
11 Frizell
12 Leilua
13 DeBelin

14 Simms
15 AhMau
16 Mann
17 Host
18 Robson
19 Field
20 Kerr
21 Herbert

That 21 would be the only players I would have in mind for game one, with the 1 to 17 being my most likely squad for round 1

I am keen to see more of Lomax at centre. Mann would be my next pick if not Lomax. I haven't seen Herbert, but am interested to see him play. If Herbert continues to impress, I would not be adverse to us having Lomax and Herbert as our centres mid season. Lafai is rocks or diamonds and lacks pace, but his early 2017 form was great.

I want to see more of Kerr against Souths. He could definitely be next cab off the rank in our prop rotation.

I think Field will become a full time first grade fullback, but I am not sure if he can take Dufty's spot.

I would give Leilua and Host 40 minutes each

I would play Hunt, Widdop and Dufty 70 minutes. We need as much time as possible to to get our spine combinations right.

I can see no reason to pick Aitken at centre and would leave him out of my charity shield squad.
same team i had in mind. definitely need to start lomax

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Hunt is the number one halfback fullstop - BUT you will see him slide into hooker at time from time to time especially during later stages of games because simply put he is brilliant in this position maybe even more effective in the last 10-15 minutes of a game than he would be at half as he would touch the ball 5-6 times during a set rather than 2-3 as a half. You need to think like a coach not a fan .. re the Field prediction it’s been well documented that he was earmarked as the replacement fullback for Dugan by recruitment - Dufty has come through so far an done very well. IMO I thought he would b starting FB .. maybe that’s a little off now but I will expect him to be the no 1 for the dragons at some stage ..

I am thinking like a coach and not a fan... And no-one in their right mind would shift Hunt out of halfback to hooker in the later stages of a game, when the game could be on the line, and give all of the ball-playing and organising responsibility to a 5/8 that whose natural style is play off-the-cuff and not to organise the side.
We have a perfectly good back up hooker in Robson.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Sorry but I feel Souths will out enthuse the Dragons with youth and speed. I think their new Coach will have them primed & Damien Cook at dummy half will tear us apart. Hope I'm wrong but I feel Seibolt and new tactics is just what the Bunnies needed.
Our plan A power game doesn't cut it in The heat of February or July to September as a matter of fact!!

Old Timer

Coach
Sorry but I feel Souths will out enthuse the Dragons with youth and speed. I think their new Coach will have them primed & Damien Cook at dummy half will tear us apart. Hope I'm wrong but I feel Seibolt and new tactics is just what the Bunnies needed.
Our plan A power game doesn't cut it in The heat of February or July to September as a matter of fact!!
Unless we have something substantially different in attack we will not beat Souths especially if Inglis and Gagai play.
Souths have swallowed a bitter pill and will be all up for a big effort to raise the hopes of the Souths army.
What will we do is the question?
As an aside it is interesting how certain posts in various threads have now drifted down the fitness line and that we we weren't tapered after big fitness workloads for the Hull game (poor excuse in my book).
Lack of fitness is not what stops us from making the semis.
We are more than fit enough we are just not good enough when we need to be and we become predictable.
Despite having an improved attacking result last year (largely complimented by thrashing a couple of sides) we were 1 dimensional.
If we just go through the motions next weekend in the CS and put nothing new on the paddock and people think we will go better because we had a bigger pre season workload then they are just kidding themselves.

possm

Coach
I'd like to see Field selected on the right wing at some time during the season. Yes he does not have the size but he does have the speed and elusiveness. He can beat players on the outside or inside as necessary.

True_Believer

Juniors
I'm not too fussed with the result. The Hunt and Widdop combo obviously needs work and without those 2 clicking it's going to be pretty irrelevant who we put in other positions.

This will be a good opportunity for them both to put some work into their plays and how they work together on the field. Additionally it will be a good opportunity for them to work with Cam and Duft to form a great spine combo. I think it will take a few games in before we see the fruits of this setup anyway.

Additionally we saw last year that the game means nought in the grand scheme of things. We played the same ol same ol game in last years CS and most on here were slitting their wrists before the season even started. Then round 1 came and we were playing a different style. I honestly don't think they are looking at it as anything more than a hit out and an opportunity to work out a couple of combos/kinks and players securing their spots. Besides, for the Hull game I saw a couple of players not in top gear - which tells me it was just to blow out the cobwebs - and I think this game will be treated the same.

Latest posts