What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield Line Up Announced

Simon

Juniors
Barrett, Head return early
By PAUL SUTTOR
February 8, 2005

DRAGONS skipper Trent Barrett and halves partner Mathew Head will make early comebacks in next weekend's Charity Shield showdown with South Sydney.

St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown yesterday selected the duo in his 20-man squad to battle the Bunnies at Aussie Stadium on February 19, along with four rookies yet to play first grade.

Balmain recruit Brett Kelly is the selection bolter in the centres, while hooker Wade Humphreys and back rowers Corey Payne and Lee Te Maari will start from the bench.

Head had a turbulent off-season after contracting pneumonia late last year, while Barrett's availability for the trials was in doubt due to shoulder and knee operations.

Brown said having his first-choice halves on board from the opening whistle was an unexpected boost on the eve of the 2005 campaign.

"They've both been doing all the ball-work sessions and defensive sessions the last few weeks," he said.

Kelly gets his chance due to the absence of centres Mark Gasnier (wrist), Wes Naiqama (foot) and Albert Torrens (suspension) and Brown thought he would handle his first taste at NRL level.

"We bought Kel as a centre or a back rower and we've got three centres down at the moment so he gets a run," he said.

"He's been training really well. It'll be interesting to see him run around in the top grade."

Barrett and a group of senior players pushed Te Maari's selection case after they were impressed with the skill the former North Sydney Bear had shown while training over the summer.

Apart from prop Jason Ryles (shoulder - round three), Gasnier (round 4-5), Naiqama and Torrens (round two), all hands should be on deck by the opening round against the Bulldogs at Telstra Stadium on March 11.

New hooker Michael Ennis (shoulder), winger Reece Simmonds (shoulder), forwards Ben Creagh (thigh), Michael Henderson (shoulder) and Aaron Wheatley (groin and shoulder) are aiming to be fit for the trial against Manly at Albion Park on February 26.

Brown believed Aaron Gorrell, making a return to first grade after two years dogged by knee injuries, looked like he had finally recovered full fitness and would give Ennis stiff competition for the hooking role.

20-man squad: Ben Hornby, Colin Best, Brett Kelly, Matt Cooper, Nick Youngquest, Trent Barrett (c), Mathew Head, Luke Bailey, Aaron Gorrell, Justin Poore, Dean Young, Lance Thompson, Shaun Timmins. Interchange: Ashton Sims, Bryan Norrie, Willie Manu, Corey Payne, Lee Te Maari, Wade Humphreys, Daniel Holdsworth.1. Ben Hornby

Good to see Humphreys still with the team. Only sour note on this side is no place for Greenshields was found. Unlike last year only the 20 players named can take the field, can't wait, should be a good game.

Briza

Juniors
You guys have an awesome roster, if you keep the injuries down- on paper you'd have the strongest side in the NRL!

God-King Dean

Immortal
Good news that Head is just about over his sickness, lets just hope they are not rushing Barrett

I miss read it & thought Naiqama was playing #-o Will he ever get to play FG? Rotten shame Greenshields isn't there, can't see why he shouldn't be on the bench

P.S Does Prem/Flegg get trials? If so where & who against?

aussie_londoner

Juniors
Forward pack is going to be strong, Bailey and poore, with sims and norrie as reserve props, very strong, and i will be interested to see how willi manu goes

big sad that naquama hasnt got his name up there, give him a run, i reckon he'd go bloody well

Biglance

Bench
im glad to see humphries

little suprised to see corey payne and not to see norrie or wheatley

mightydragon

Juniors
It's interesting to see Wade Humphreys still at the dragons. I thought he was listed as being released at the end of last year.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Te Maari goes. I've heard real good things about this guy. Should be a cracker of a game. Saints by 30.

Dragon

Coach
Just posting the 2005 CS jersey for those that havnt seen it.

stn_05charityshield.jpg

I like it, what do you guys think?

dimitri

First Grade
Biglance said:
im glad to see humphries

little suprised to see corey payne and not to see norrie or wheatley

corey payn e has shaken off his injuries amnd trimmed down a little

expect a much bigger year from him

SaintTPP

First Grade
Daithi O'Conaill said:
Dragon said:
Just posting the 2005 CS jersey for those that havnt seen it.

stn_05charityshield.jpg

I like it, what do you guys think?

They sure arent getting any better...
What do you expect, we have the best of the best, nothing will ever come close to our Red V. Full of tradition and pride.

drake

First Grade
16mg of goodness. I'm expecting to see the phillip morris logo on the top.
Look's like a pack of winny reds.
I'm not an old school stickler, but I reckon the Charity Shield is good day to waer the Red V.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
drake said:
16mg of goodness. I'm expecting to see the phillip morris logo on the top.
Look's like a pack of winny reds.
I'm not an old school stickler, but I reckon the Charity Shield is good day to waer the Red V.

Bloody oath. Couldn't have put it better myself.