What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charlie Gubb

Meth

Staff member
ok I said this in another thread, but I watched him play tonight- more minutes (albeit in a different role) and somehow managed to contribute even less.

I know we like to have a few guys in the side who offer nothing (such as Leuluai), but to my mind he is just a waste of space. I've heard that he lifts the team- but I don't really see any evidence of this.

What's the appeal?

Meth

Staff member
Part of me likes the maniac off the bench idea...but I think he's too small to be scary, isn't he? He certainly doesn't seem to be the enforcer that he was once touted to become.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I'd have to disagree Meth. His offensive game needs some work for sure but I felt he changed things tonight when he came on for his second stint with some good shots in defence. Definitely is not a waste of space in my eyes

Benek

Juniors
Hmm I actually thought the opposite. I thought he stepped up well to play a bigger role than he is used to. Doesn't contribute as much as he could with the ball, but defensively he was solid.

Meth

Staff member
I didn't think he was bad tonight. I just thought he was meh. And he's always meh. Neither hot, nor cold. I've been banging on about it for a while...I just don't think he's a first grader and he's had long enough to establish himself now.

ozbash

Referee
I didn't think he was bad tonight. I just thought he was meh. And he's always meh. Neither hot, nor cold. I've been banging on about it for a while...I just don't think he's a first grader and he's had long enough to establish himself now.

Charlies good, youthful enthusiasm coupled with unlimited energy..

needs a good coach/developer..

vvvrulz

Coach

I'm with you. Limited player who you'd think is capable of lots of mongrel and grunt work but never really seems to do a whole lot.

That said, since he's managed to cut down the stupid plays and we don't need him to do anything fancy, I can tolerate him much more than Leuluai.

Meth

Staff member
I think that some of these blokes are indulged because we are winning right now- Gubb, Leuluai, Roache...but to me, winning makes it worse. We have to ask ourselves, will we be competitive in the finals with these guys in the 17. I don't think so.

jaseg

Juniors
He's a nut who has some value as a 1st or 2nd backup option, but probably shouldn't be in a 17 where we have all our middles available.

Meth

Staff member
Who is unavailable though? Ben Henry?

He's keeping out Gavet, who's played surprisingly well at times this year. Sipley and now Afoa could be developed. Lane. Palavi. You could even say Tevaga could take his spot, with Lisone and Vete in the 17.

jaseg

Juniors
Oh yeah - we don't have any middles unavailable, unless Sipley got suspended and I missed it? Oh plus with Hoff out and Si-man on the edge.

TBH I liked Bunty's debut... I'd prefer to see more of him than keep Gubb in the side for the next game. Would prefer Sipley over either of them. Lane isn't really a middle, but an interesting option nonetheless. Not too keen on Palavi... he's fine, but would prefer to use him on the edge as a 'safe' backup option. Doesn't bring enough with ball in hand for me.

Big Marn

Juniors
Seems that Sipleys fitness is an issue.
10mins and hes done. How long does he last in the NSW cup. I dont watch enough games to get a line on him but its not the same speed as NRL games. You need a big motor to excel in NRL or you will be found out. Russell Packer had a huge workrate. Gubb isnt anywhere near Packer in terms of ability as a frontrower, but he seems to last a bit longer before fatigue causes him to miss tackles, drop ball etc.
But like everyone else has said, he brings energy but not much else. And still a big question mark on the top 2 inches.

And whats the story with Lane. Did we roll the dice on him and come up craps?

TheDMC

Bench
Gubb tackled really well against the Titans, quite a contribution in that regard. Credit where credit is due.

I'm not a fan though. His hit ups are crap. On impact he is stopped very quickly and seems to lack any kind of leg drive and just goes straight to ground. This would be okayish if he pops up super quick for a fast play the ball. But he doesn't.

Not powerful enough for a front rower.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I thought Afoa looked better than anythingeither Gubb or Sipley have shown us yesterday. I'd like to see them persevere with him.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Seems that Sipleys fitness is an issue.
10mins and hes done. How long does he last in the NSW cup. I dont watch enough games to get a line on him but its not the same speed as NRL games. You need a big motor to excel in NRL or you will be found out. Russell Packer had a huge workrate. Gubb isnt anywhere near Packer in terms of ability as a frontrower, but he seems to last a bit longer before fatigue causes him to miss tackles, drop ball etc.
But like everyone else has said, he brings energy but not much else. And still a big question mark on the top 2 inches.

And whats the story with Lane. Did we roll the dice on him and come up craps?

It often takes time for big men to develop stamina. Paleaesina had no motor in his first couple of seasons, wasn't really until 2005 that he developed into a big minutes guy. But sadly he got poached to the ESL the next season.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
I thought Afoa looked better than anythingeither Gubb or Sipley have shown us yesterday. I'd like to see them persevere with him.

Agree with the call about Gubb, not with Sipley though. Both are really young and I like what both will be able to bring to the mix. Sipley looks to be more in the big man mould a la Kasiano. Come on for 25 minutes a match and barge people over, hopefully offload a bit and generally be a menace and create that broken play for us.
Bunty, I liked what I saw but I don't know what kind of player he is. Didn't look out of his depth at all though. Is he a workhorse? Defensive player? He didn't make many runs yesterday but that could have been nerves.

Gubb....imo is too small for a front rower and offers little in attack. I like the energy he brings to the team when he comes on and lets rip, but it's a bit redundant if we need some kind of impact and are getting out muscled.

I think we have two very average bench options the last month or so - Gubb and Roache. If Luke is gunna play 80, we can afford to have an extra prop on the bench. Any injury we could have can be filled by Mannering to centre, and Tui to cover the hole (e.g Fus injured, Ayshford to wing, Mannering to centre and Tui to fb, or Luke injured, Leuluai to hooker, Tui to halve, Ayshford and Mannering to centre and wing).

Latest posts