What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check out this World X111 - a quiz

playdaball

Bench
Check out this world X111 team:

1 - B.Webb
2 - F.Meli
3 - T.Carrol
4 - W. Talau
5 - L. Tuquiri
6 - M. Tony
7. - A. Lam
8 - J. Cayless
9. R. Swain
10. N. Cayless
11. B. Thorn
12. P. Civoancivo (sp)
13. T. Smith

Coaches - D. Waite and Daniel Anderson

What has the team got in common???

Any thoughts?

playdaball

Bench
Pretty easy they were all born in other countries than those they represented - bar B. Webb who has yet to play for NZ - Oct 16.

hutch

First Grade
N Cayless was born in NZ but moved here at a young age. I am pretty sure J Cayless was born here though

sunny

What the Cayless brothers are doing representing NZ is beyond me. Both are listed as being born in Sydney and playing their junior football for Wentworthville. What a joke, another one in a seemingly endless list regarding intl league selections.

singaporeXIII

Juniors
sunny said:
What the Cayless brothers are doing representing NZ is beyond me. Both are listed as being born in Sydney and playing their junior football for Wentworthville. What a joke, another one in a seemingly endless list regarding intl league selections.

I think that both there parents are NZ born. They are part Maori. I think they have every right to represent NZ.

sunny

I always thought that the whole idea of being selected in some international team for a country was that you- you yourself, not your parents, grandparents, or lesbian third cousin twice removed- were actually from that country. Seems like this most basic of principles has fallen by the wayside in international rl.

yakstorm

First Grade
Sunny mate I take it you have never met the Cayless brothers in which case you wouldn't realise how they are two of the most passionate New Zealanders you would come across. Just cause someone isn't born in a nation doesn't mean they don't have pride and passion playing for it, I know a number of people in England who consider themselves Welsh even though they were born in England cause its part of their family line, its part of their culture and its what they feel pride for. Same you can meet a number of people from a range of areas who are just the same.

playdaball

Bench
yakstorm said:
Sunny mate I take it you have never met the Cayless brothers in which case you wouldn't realise how they are two of the most passionate New Zealanders you would come across. Just cause someone isn't born in a nation doesn't mean they don't have pride and passion playing for it, I know a number of people in England who consider themselves Welsh even though they were born in England cause its part of their family line, its part of their culture and its what they feel pride for. Same you can meet a number of people from a range of areas who are just the same.

Agree. Here in NZ many young Pacific Islanders consider themselves to be Samoans, Tongans, Cook Islanders etc, this despite the fact that most are NZ born and bred and have never visited their Island of origin.

sunny

So? My dad is from India and although I'm tremendously proud of my Indian heritage and have a great deal of affection for Indians and India, I was born in Australia, raised here, live here and I therefore am Australian, and ceratinly shouldn't be eligible to represent India in anything. It should be the same in rl.

sunny

Good to see a kiwi agrees with me on this!

The amount of blokes in that kiwi squad who were both born in and played their official junior football in new zealand is a bit worrying/farcical, then you of course you have the fullback, brent webb, who was born in and played his junior football in that well known part of new zealand, cairns :D