What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chelsea F.C. III: The Age of Antonio

saint.nick

Coach
It was being speculated a couple of days ago that Jorginho changed his mind because of London, but if this guy is right then it just proves that the rumour I just mentioned never added up. City are the best team in the league, they have Guardiola, they pay you a lot of money, and they are set for a very successful future. Chelsea are of course recently successful too, but they are considerably inferior to City at the moment and a couple of their stars quite clearly want to get out of there. I've been to London, and it's one of the great cities of the world, but if you're seriously letting it influence a decision like that then you're just a fkn idiot.

Haffa

Choice between being a pivotal player for a manager you know and living in the nicest part of the best city in europe or living in Manchester. Tough choice.

Also Welcome to dealing with Italian Clubs especially Napoli for players.

thorson1987

Coach
Choice between being a pivotal player for a manager you know and living in the nicest part of the best city in europe or living in Manchester. Tough choice.

Yeah I'd say it has more to do with the manager than where he wants to live.

Game_Breaker

Coach

I thought Chelsea's training ground is in Cobham

saint.nick

Coach

Living in Manchester while owning it domestically and potentially in Europe.

If living in places like Manchester and Liverpool were such a dealbreakers then why are they so much more successful than Chelsea...

Haffa

Living in Manchester while owning it domestically and potentially in Europe.

If living in places like Manchester and Liverpool were such a dealbreakers then why are they so much more successful than Chelsea...
So if he went to city he'd be taking the easy way out? I'm not sure why having a preference on where to live is a bad thing. For some people they are deal breakers. Schools, shopping for the wife etc all factor into the decisions. In the last 15 years?

I thought Chelsea's training ground is in Cobham
It is. Have you been there? Half the players reside in Surrey the others live in the Borough of Kensington.

Haffa

DiE_q6QXcAE5M8X.jpg

<3 He looks so sad.

saint.nick

Coach
So if he went to city he'd be taking the easy way out?

No, it's actually the opposite.

In the last 15 years?

What do you mean the last 15 years? You didn't become successful overnight 15 years ago because London is groovy.

I'm not sure why having a preference on where to live is a bad thing. For some people they are deal breakers. Schools, shopping for the wife etc all factor into the decisions.

If you're trying to choose between Real Madrid and Barca then yeah, sure.

Haffa

No, it's actually the opposite.
So you’re saying his choice to move to Chelsea was the correct one for him?

If you're trying to choose between Real Madrid and Barca then yeah, sure.
Hes not the first player to opt for London over Clubs in the North. Liverpool’s past success is irrelevant as it was so long ago it was a different era of players

He’s also opted for a club with sustained success over the last 15 years. While als playing with a manager who he loves. He’s not Arjen Robben opting for Chelsea over United in 2004 (Even though he preferred London). Regardless of the state everyone says Chelsea is in we are still an attractive club for players. Especially Brazilians.

I could have sworn this discussion started because Napoli stopped him from moving to a club who offered less money. So he chose the club willing to pay the highest transfer fee. Regardless of why he’s signed he’s now a Chelsea player and in the end that’s alll that matters.

saint.nick

Coach
So you’re saying his choice to move to Chelsea was the correct one for him?

...no you're just twisting what I said. All I did was criticise a rumoured motivation to join Chelsea.

Hes not the first player to opt for London over Clubs in the North. Liverpool’s past success is irrelevant as it was so long ago it was a different era of players

Well yeah but I never said that players should factor in distantly past success ahead of location.

He’s also opted for a club with sustained success over the last 15 years. While als playing with a manager who he loves. He’s not Arjen Robben opting for Chelsea over United in 2004 (Even though he preferred London). Regardless of the state everyone says Chelsea is in we are still an attractive club for players. Especially Brazilians.

It's not that I was arguing that Chelsea are in a bad state, it's just that the state City are in right now is quite easily a rung above.

I could have sworn this discussion started because Napoli stopped him from moving to a club who offered less money. So he chose the club willing to pay the highest transfer fee. Regardless of why he’s signed he’s now a Chelsea player and in the end that’s alll that matters.

It started partly because I said it's a far more plausible explanation than purely "London > Manchester"

saint.nick

Coach
The article has merit but it still overrates the London drawcard. It still hasn't stopped City being a big powerhouse and a major drawcard for top players who reject interest from London clubs, hence how they won the league by that whopping margin. For the really ambitious individuals within the game, I think that they can see past the lights and music of London if a move elsewhere is a better career path.

saint.nick

Coach
And adding onto that point...if London is so important or advantageous for success these days, then:
a) Why are Arsenal in such a rut? Chamberlain got sick of Arsenal and went to Liverpool where he still had to work his way up from the bench to prove himself in a position he never played much before. Lemar was also happy to go to Arsenal, until Liverpool stole his attention. Of course we never signed him, but Arsenal were first choice until we came to the table.
b) Why are Chelsea the only London club that wins important trophies?
c) Why are Spurs still Spurs?

Haffa

I never said it was important or advantageous for success you're adding that to make a different point. I said it's certainly a draw for some players especially those with a wife and kids, but that again is dependant on the players interests. Whether it leads to success is up to the clubs and players themselves. To use Lemar as an example is a bit pointless he chose Madrid and its lifestyle plus guaranteed Champions League football over Liverpool and Arsenal. He is also 22.

It's not just at the top of the table where it can be a factor.

c) Because Levy doesn't spend.

saint.nick

Coach
I never said it was important or advantageous for success you're adding that to make a different point. I said it's certainly a draw for some players especially those with a wife and kids, but that again is dependant on the players interests. Whether it leads to success is up to the clubs and players themselves. To use Lemar as an example is a bit pointless he chose Madrid and its lifestyle plus guaranteed Champions League football over Liverpool and Arsenal. He is also 22.

It's not just at the top of the table where it can be a factor.

c) Because Levy doesn't spend.
Lemar did not choose Atletico Madrid over Liverpool :joy:

How am I adding the point when it is a point that your article tries to suggest?

Latest posts