Chinese power and influence around the world including Melbourne

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by DC_fan, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

Lost for a coherent argument again I see.

Clearly Saudi Arabians are happier than their Iranian counterparts, despite Iranians only being re-educated for an ill fitting hijab.

2. t-ba

t-ba Coach

Not really. Your position is deep fried shit.

You have raised the number of asylum seekers from Iran in an argument comparing the relative merits of the two regimes. You appear to think it some kind of a slam dunk.

I call bullshit.

As it stands, .11% of Iranians are seeking asylum. If that makes Iran a worse place to than Saudi Arabia, then logic must follow that the .57% of Bosnians, the .39% of Armenians, the .51% of Serbians and the .53% of Ukrainians seeking Asylum must make these countries worse than Saudi Arabia and Iran according to your logic.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SM.POP.REFG.OR
    https://www.migrationpolicy.org/pro...er-populations-country-origin-and-destination
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_refugee_population

So, do you think because there are so many more Asylum seekers per head from Bosnia, Armenia, Georgia, Serbia and the Ukraine that Iran and Saudi Arabia are better than these countries?

Or does this argument only apply to comparisons between Iran and Saudi Arabia?

Edit- and when the f**k did happiness come into the discussion? Are you capable of following a thread?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  3. Surely

es than Iran, seeing as their per capita of asylum seekers are through the roof comparatively.

What a weird metric to try and pass Saudi Arabia as better off on...[/QUOTE]

Yes I think people trying to flee their own country is a pretty good indicator of the conditions in their country.

Or are you trying to say they are economic asylum seekers ?

4. Surely

Iran is significant to global forced migration both as a source and as a destination country for asylum seekers and refugees. It is part of an unstable region and led by a religious theocracy government. Ethnically diverse, the population of Iran is approximately 77 million.

Iran is a signatory to the Refugee Convention as well as other international conventions such as the Convention on the Rights of the Child and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

Iran as a source country of asylum seekers

Despite having ratified these international treaties, Iran continues to be widely criticised for human rights violations, including the ongoing execution of juvenile offenders, homosexuals and political dissidents.

A 2015 United States Department of State Report highlights significant human rights problems in Iran, particularly related to severe restrictions on civil liberties (such as freedoms of assembly, association, speech, religion, and press), limitations in free and fair elections, and escalating use of capital punishment for crimes that do not meet the threshold of most serious crime or are committed by juvenile offenders.

In this context, Iran is a significant source of refugees. In 2015, there were approximately 85,000 Iranian refugees, of whom nearly 15,000 were receiving assistance from UNHCR. However, the height of refugees fleeing Iran occurred during the 1980s and 1990s, following the 1979 fall of the monarchy, the establishment of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the protracted war between Iraq and Iran. During this time, many Iranians fled religious and political persecution.

In 2012-13, Australia received 4382 asylum requests from Iranian nationals who had arrived by boat.

There are a significant number of Iranian asylum seekers living in Australian communities, many of which are waiting decisions on their claims for asylum. At April 2017, there were 6905 Iranian asylum seekers (who arrived by boat) in the ‘IMA Legacy Caseload’ who have either not made an application or their application is ‘on-hand’, the largest proportion of any other nationality. At this same time, there were 104 Iranian nationals in immigration detention facilities and 269 in community detention.

In 2015-16, 279 Iranian nationals were granted refugee category visas in Australia. The majority of asylum seekers from Iran are found to be genuine refugees, with over 79 per cent receiving a positive assessment of refugee status from the Australian Government between 2008 and 2013.

In the European context, of the 1,015,078 people who crossed the Mediterranean

http://www.asyluminsight.com/iran/#.W0KAYIp_Wf0

Top place, I can see why you think Iran is better than the other repressive merkins.

5. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Moderator Staff Member

In the European context, of the 1,015,078 people who crossed the Mediterranean..........2 per cent were from Iran.

You accidentally dropped that from your copy / paste mate.

Pantherjim. likes this.
  6. Surely

How many were from Saudi Arabia ?

7. Mong

Mong Post Whore

#accidently

Pantherjim. likes this.
  8. Surely

Yeah I left off the percentages for Saudi too

Oh wait they aren't listed

I'm shocked

9. Mong

Mong Post Whore

Lolz

You can attempt to divert better than that.

10. t-ba

t-ba Coach

I know you think that. But you didn't bother answering my question.

And I asked, seeing as Serbia, the Ukraine, Macedonia, Bosnia, Armenia and Georgia all have levels of Asylum seekers per head higher than that of Iran, and by extension Saudi Arabia, do you think Saudi Arabia and Iran are better than these places?

11. Surely

maybe they are

12. t-ba

t-ba Coach

Oh, so number of Asylum seekers maybe doesn't determine whether a counry is worse than another or not?

13. Surely

What are you on about, I said maybe they are better than the places you listed

14. t-ba

t-ba Coach

And I am contending the assertjon that Asylum seekers indicates whether a country is better or not.

You still going to run with the argument that Asylum seekers proves Iran isn't better than Saudi Arabia?

15. Surely

Yes , it’s quite obvious by the sheer number of people that want to exit Iran as opposed to Saudi.

The saudis are merkins it would appear the Iranians are bigger ones.

16. t-ba

t-ba Coach

And by extension, the numbers of Ukrainians, Serbians, Bosnians, Georgians and Armenians are bigger merkins than Iran and Saudi Arabia?

17. Surely

It’s quite likely

Former states of war torn Yugoslavia or former members of the Soviet Union, I’m shocked that they would be shitholes, shocked to the bone.

I notice Venezuela is right up there too, probably another shithole

18. Surely

Having said all that Iran sits at number four in sheer numbers behind only Syria Afghanistan and Iraq , all war torn countries.

19. t-ba

t-ba Coach

So, are those countries listed are worse than Saudi Arabia and Iran or not?

Or just possibly?

20. t-ba

t-ba Coach

Problems of comparing a natiom of near 100 million to nations lucky to crack ten aside, that is a complete f**king lie.

In 2014, Iran had 82k. The CAR, China, Colombia, the DRC, Eritrea, Mali, Myanmar, Pakistam, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, South Sudan, the Ukraine and Vietnam all had over 100,000 refugees from their nations.

So yeah, another lie.