What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chokers

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll get down to it. This club has a history of choking. Since 2000 until now. It's apart of the culture seemingly.

Lets recap shall we.

2000 - 2nd with 9 games left. 7th with 4 games. Finished 10th.
2004 - 8th placed & Needed to win 1 of last 3. Lost all 3.
2006 - Defending premiers managed back-to-back wins once.
2007 - 7th with 2 games left needed 1 win. Lost both, incl game against lowly Newcastle
2009 - 5th with 3 games left. Needed to win 2. Only managed 1. Another win would've seen them, finish 7th
2012 - Premiership favourites. 8th with 2 games left and needed 1 win. Lost both, one against bottom 4 side SYD, conceding 40.
2014 - 9th placed and needed to win 3 of last 7. Only won once and copped back-to-back hidings.
2016 - 9th placed and had results fall their way in final round. Needed to beat Canberra on WT home soil. Lost by 40.

Thats 8 chokes in 17 seasons
made finals three times, won once. It's a bloody dismal record.

Clifferd

Coach
Chuck in the 2011 semi and that to me was a classic choke aswell. Weren't we up like 20-6 with 20 to go & absolutely cruising at that point?

I really don't think we would've beat Melbourne the next week though

Tiger05

First Grade
2005 wasn't a choke but we do have a history of it.

I'm still deciding what went wrong this year. Did we choke or were Canberra too good ? Then again we didn't turn up at all and we were at a packed Leichardt oval and all we had to do was win.

Did we choke or were Canberra too good ? Then again we didn't turn up at all and we were at a packed Leichardt oval and all we had to do was win.

Perspective:
Canberra were too good and too big.
Tigers were no good and too small. We need some amazons.

Canberra ran 2nd in regular season and kept improving all year -
The Tigers ran 9th and it's questionable whether they improved.
They scored 189 more points than us.
They conceded 151 less points than us.

I said it previously, we had the 2nd worst defense in the comp.

Front-Rower

First Grade

I'm still deciding what went wrong this year. Did we choke or were Canberra too good ? Then again we didn't turn up at all and we were at a packed Leichardt oval and all we had to do was win.

Canberra just ran over the top of of us on Sunday. They were too big. When their halfback is nearly just as big, if not bigger, than our second rowers then you know you are in for a tough day.

Here's one for you as well. Do we win the competition in 2005 without Benji Marshall?

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I'll get down to it. This club has a history of choking. Since 2000 until now. It's apart of the culture seemingly.

Lets recap shall we.

2000 - 2nd with 9 games left. 7th with 4 games. Finished 10th.
2004 - 8th placed & Needed to win 1 of last 3. Lost all 3.
2006 - Defending premiers managed back-to-back wins once.
2007 - 7th with 2 games left needed 1 win. Lost both, incl game against lowly Newcastle
2009 - 5th with 3 games left. Needed to win 2. Only managed 1. Another win would've seen them, finish 7th
2012 - Premiership favourites. 8th with 2 games left and needed 1 win. Lost both, one against bottom 4 side SYD, conceding 40.
2014 - 9th placed and needed to win 3 of last 7. Only won once and copped back-to-back hidings.
2016 - 9th placed and had results fall their way in final round. Needed to beat Canberra on WT home soil. Lost by 40.

Thats 8 chokes in 17 seasons
made finals three times, won once. It's a bloody dismal record.

Honestly I feel like the exact if not worse record would be available for the warriors. Its really weird how alike our 2 sides are at times.

• ability to score from anywhere
  • shit defence
  • mercurial halves
  • can go on winning streaks or losing streaks but not actually be consistent
Are our coaches in kahoots?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

no one said 2005 was a choke.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Canberra just ran over the top of of us on Sunday. They were too big. When their halfback is nearly just as big, if not bigger, than our second rowers then you know you are in for a tough day.

Here's one for you as well. Do we win the competition in 2005 without Benji Marshall?
Maybe.

I put this toi you though.

If we had to play the finals games the Cowboys had and they got the games we got, would we have won the Grand Final?

Tiger05

First Grade

I honestly think we can match Canberra. I don't think we are that far off. No way we win the comp in 05 without Benji.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Maybe.

I put this toi you though.

If we had to play the finals games the Cowboys had and they got the games we got, would we have won the Grand Final?

The only question mark would of been against Parramatta. However with the way they capitulated in the GF qualifier it would of been certainly winnable.

Clifferd

Coach
I honestly think we can match Canberra. I don't think we are that far off. No way we win the comp in 05 without Benji.
Did you watch the game against them on Sunday? From the first 5 mins you could tell we were no match against them

Our edge defense needs to drastically improve otherwise we have no hope against them ever

Shredder

Juniors
Agreed Cliferd - we were completely outclassed in attack and defence. AND they were without a stack of players. Wasnt a fluke - was the second time this year they made us their bitches.

Tiger05

First Grade
Did you watch the game against them on Sunday? From the first 5 mins you could tell we were no match against them

Our edge defense needs to drastically improve otherwise we have no hope against them ever

I definitely watched it. That was a dud performance by us. We choked.

I agree that they have a big fast explosive team all over the park plus a gun hooker but I think we can match them with some changes. I think one area where we need to improve is our edge players. Aloiai is really good but he didn't have the lateral movement out wide and Papali had a field day. Moses also needs to improve his defence. He was there but did basically nothing to stop him.

I think though that wasn't the only problem. We threw away the ball. Our forwards got smashed.

I think we just choked though and we should learn from that. We should also learn that although you need quality players in the spine you also need weapons all over the park. Canberra don't have a spine as good as ours. They beat us because they can just run over us.

I reckon Rankin for instance has outperformed based on his ability but having him in the team means you miss out on someone like JAC. Not picking Robbie was also dumb.

rabbitohs95

Bench
You guys need size and experience. I don't understand a youth policy when there's no senior players for them to work off. Need to try sign the likes of Eastwood, Moa and Tagataese and you'll be one step closer to the finals.

Shredder

Juniors
Agreed - its a mix - we seen to build a decent pile of juniors that are backs. We have had success in picking young forwards in our time, but we need someone else with big game experience to compliment Woods.

I know Im going to get shot down for this, but Tony Williams would be wonderful. Big, strong and experienced at a good club and is on the outer. A backrow of him, ET and Lawrence would stiffen us up.

Latest posts