What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Lawrence

Steve Austin

Juniors
A quiet word with Chris Lawrence

21/04/2011 2:35 PM

Steve Orme

Sportal

Tigers centre Chris Lawrence is recovering from a dislocated hip, but that didn't stop him from running a kids clinic at Leichhardt Oval this week.
The likeable 22-year-old also took time out to discuss how his rehab is tracking as well as his chances of getting back on the field in 2011.

Q: How is the hip coming along?

CL: It's going good I'm slowly getting there. I'm moving around a lot better now so it's a lot easier. I'm doing everything rehab wise but it's still a long process and it's healing up pretty good, but I've still got to wait until all the strength comes back before I can get back on the field.

Q: When will you be able to get around without crutches?

CL: I'm slowly walking short distances without them but I'm still predominantly on the crutches. That's why I've got these seats here today to make sure I'm not on my feet too long, but slowly progressing and getting off the crutches so hopefully by the end of next week I should be fully off them."

Q: Is the injury still painful four weeks into your recovery?

CL: It's not too bad, it feels really tight but as far as pain goes I'm pretty pain-free now.

Q: What does a normal day include for you at the moment?

CL: I'm back training with the Tigers doing a lot of rehab stuff, plenty of weights and plenty of upper-body cardio so they're keeping me busy and it's not fun at the moment because I'm restricted with what I can do. It's been tough.

Q: Realistically, when do you think you'll be back on the park?

CL: I should hopefully have scans in the next four weeks and that'll give me a better indication of what round I should be back. So at the moments it's just a rough idea of three to four months (from the time of the injury on March 26) but hopefully the scans come back positive and I can actually put a date on it. It's give or take, if it doesn't progress like it should it could be longer and if it does it could be about three months.

Q: There is still a risk you'll contract avascular necrosis (where the blood supply does not properly return to the area). When will you know if you're in the clear on that front?

CL: I'll have continuous scans all through the year and make sure that's in order. It's just a matter of checking it for the next couple of years even. I've just got to make sure it can develop over 12-18 months so it's something I've got to keep check and make sure I'm doing everything right.

Q: Is that something that keeps you up at night?

CL: I can't do anything about it, the damage has already been done so what I do now is not going to affect what happens. There's not really much I can do about it now, I've just got to make sure I do everything to let the injury heal and do all the rehab I can to try and make sure when I can back I feel like it's at full strength.

Q: There were reports that some past players who have had the same injury such as Ross Conlon, called you to let you know what you
were in for. Is that true?

CL: Yeah a few of the guys gave me a call which was great and just gave me reassurance about how they did it all those years ago and they came back and played years and years of footy as well. It did give me a lot of confidence knowing that people had done this injury and had come back with full strength and had no dramas or any repercussions from it.

Q: How tough is it going to be for you come Origin time given that you were a strong chance to earn a Blues call-up this season?

CL: Yeah it's going to be tough, it's obviously disappointing and that's something I wanted to achieve this year but it's not going to happen so I've just got to try and make sure I get back on the field this year. My main goal this year's to try and push and get the Tigers in the finals and hopefully to a grand final, and then look next year for State of Origin.

Q: So your main goal is getting back for Tigers this year? How confident are you that you'll get back this year?

CL: Obviously my personal goals of rep footy are pretty hard to achieve because I won't be back in time so that's sort of the next target to be able to compete, hopefully the boys are still in contention and I can get back in the side and playing some good footy and hopefully make a semi and a grand final.