What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Lawrence

magpie guy

Juniors
Sue was also in great form...where does he fit?

I think Sue comes in at the expense of Ava.S. Sue plays at lock like an extra prop anyway and if required can play prop or push Blair to prop so it doesn't mess up the prop rotation to have him instead of Ava.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we have a great concept before us to help us avoid injuries impacting the side, keeping players fresh, & giving more players regular game time.

One week have Ava & sita on the bench with Gavet & Taupau
Next week have Sue & BMM with Gavet & Taupau

Or some such rotation policy. Would mean we have 6 forwards in regular rotation, match fit & fresh. If we get injuries to forwards we can easily cover them.

We still have Buchanan to fall back on as well if needed

DanOz

Juniors
Cant agree with rotation. Pick players on form, you can get hurt playing lower grade as easily as first grade

Radical Rat

Juniors
Cant agree with rotation. Pick players on form, you can get hurt playing lower grade as easily as first grade

The concept of rotation seems like a good one but it wouldn't work IMO. Players egos would get in the way (and probably fair enough). No one wants to be shipped in and out of first grade. Some of them would get disgruntled and go looking for a stable first grade spot elsewhere.

TimmyB

Juniors
I'm surprised this hasn't been bumped after yesterday's game.

I have no doubts Lawrence will never make it back to his best. However, he looked very dangerous yesterday. Showed some good footwork at the line which isn't something he did before his injuries, and he ran very strongly. If he can keep that up he is an above average first grader.

Also made a lot of dirty metres for us bring the ball out.

Good game and easily earned his place in the side.

I thought that was probably his best game this year,threatened the line a few times and was solid in defence.Whether his pace returns or not he really has very little concept of setting up his outside man ,then again he is not alone in that department.

magpie guy

Juniors
I thought that was probably his best game this year,threatened the line a few times and was solid in defence.Whether his pace returns or not he really has very little concept of setting up his outside man ,then again he is not alone in that department.

I thought he actually set up Richards a fair bit yesterday. He was getting outside his man and drawing the winger. Thing was there just wasn't enough space to put Richards away as he wasn't getting the ball early enough and the forwards were not getting a good roll on for most of the game. He instead chose to hold the ball rather than go for the miracle pass.

Been really solid over last three weeks.

But....gee....he just lacks the penetration and ability to bust a tackle as well as speed he had before the hip injury.

Front on defence is as good as any centre in the game. Tough ballrunner.
Would make a very good lightweight lock. Or stack on 8 or 10kg to standard 105kg lock.

Thats where I think his immediate future is.

Thoughts?

TimmyB

Juniors
Bit harsh on his lack of penetration I think. My eyes told me he was busting more tacles than anyone else on the field and looked the most likely Tiger to bust the line. Quick check of the stats amd he was srcond for tackle breaks after Kelly.

He was our most damaging runner yesterday and looked very likely. Hopefully the confidence is returning and he's getting some milage in the legs. With Tedesco back he'll be a threat close to the line imo.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Richards has been great but I think he takes the easy option too often.

A few times Lawrence has out him away with little room, instead of trying to come back in Richards has instantly kicked which resulted in nothing

I thought he actually set up Richards a fair bit yesterday. He was getting outside his man and drawing the winger. Thing was there just wasn't enough space to put Richards away as he wasn't getting the ball early enough and the forwards were not getting a good roll on for most of the game. He instead chose to hold the ball rather than go for the miracle pass.

You're right in what your saying about Lawrence's game yesterday,he is a natural hole runner who needs the ball early,i just think he would be a better player if he could do a 'step' or a 'in and away'on his opposite to help set up his winger rather than relying entirely on his pace and strength to bust tackles before passing.:)