What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Mckenna and Marcus Bai

Corbin

Juniors
Apprently they are both leaving Leeds at the ends of the season does any1 no why?

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Bai retiring I would have thought if this season if anything to go by.

McKenna probably for salary cap purposes so they can sign someone else. I have heard McKenna is the highest paid player at Leeds, which is astonishing when you consider he's not one of the key players.

bartman

Immortal
McKenna was left out of their grand final team last year, wasn't he? A good fill in for centres or back row when there's injury, but not a strike player.

Can't imagine him or Bai would figure in longer term plans at their age and stage, likely to be better younger (local?) options coming through in each position.

JasonE

Bench
bartman said:
Can't imagine him or Bai would figure in longer term plans at their age and stage, likely to be better younger (local?) options coming through in each position.

Thats right, Lee Smith is coming through the ranks and he is one of the best prospects i've seen although he is a natural fullback, he is playing on the wing atm.

There's another good backrower Karl Ablett who isn't far off and he could easily do McKenna's job at less than half the price.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
McKenna played in the grand final, it was Matt Adamson that was left out. Adamson wasn't happy when left out, apparently left Leeds a very angry man.

http://www.superleague.co.uk/news/215 is the news link for the Grand Final, has both sides in it. Bookmarked it last year for some reason.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
McKenna has been dropped a couple of times this year though, he'll be let go no doubt. Wouldn't shock me to see him wearing the Red and Green back in the NRL next year, with Harrison likely to be leaving.

bartman

Immortal
Cheers for that PD-J. Wires crossed! But yeah looks like McKenna might fin dhimself in the same situation as Adamson did last year?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Probably.

McKenna's very solid without being a superstar but Poching, Ellis etc. have all been better, so he get's left out. He's getting on too so it's unlikely he'll get another contract. If they make the Final again, I doubt he'll be in the final 17. I feel a bit sorry for him.

MjM

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
McKenna has been dropped a couple of times this year though, he'll be let go no doubt. Wouldn't shock me to see him wearing the Red and Green back in the NRL next year, with Harrison likely to be leaving.
I don't think McKenna has been dropped this year particularly although he has missed a couple of games - can't recall exactly why right now though. But he's proving a pretty useful player as long as he's kept out of the centres and certainly if Leeds could keep him at a reduced rate I think they would do. It's up to the player though and it looks like he's set to go home now. Got a couple of years left in him potentially though.

As for if McKenna's the highest paid player at Leeds. From what I know he's on a good deal. But not that good :lol: .

bartman

Immortal
What is it with the Smith brothers both of whose coaching tends to favour filling a vacant centre spot with a forward...? ;-)

I'm not sure McKenna would get in my side above a back three of Ellis, JJB and Poching, with Ali on the bench? Botham goes alright too from what I've seen...

MjM

Juniors
bartman said:
What is it with the Smith brothers both of whose coaching tends to favour filling a vacant centre spot with a forward...? ;-)

I'm not sure McKenna would get in my side above a back three of Ellis, JJB and Poching, with Ali on the bench? Botham goes alright too from what I've seen...
It's a tough call, but Poching and Lauititi are fantastic coming off the bench (in fact, IMO those two plus McDermott and Burrow as Leeds played in the WCC is the absolutely perfect bench) so I'd start with JJB and McKenna as the grafters with Ellis behind. However hard he tries I wouldn't at the moment put Botham ahead of those players for a first team shirt if everyone is fit.

Leeds signed McKenna under the misapprehension he was a centre. And it took Powell a good while to twig he wasn't quite the replacement for Tonie Carroll we'd expected. But since moving pretty much full time to the back row, he's been very good and definitely a first-choice player.

bartman

Immortal
Fair enough. McKenna was a centre once upon a time...

The Leeds bench does work well, and that's one thing I think Tony is teaching his brother Brian how to get right for Parramatta.

John Hodgson

Juniors
Bai will leave at the end of the year, and Lee Smith will come into the side to replace him. McKenna May go and Jamie Peacock will replace him

Special K

Coach
When Leeds signed McKenna he was the QLD and Australian centre. That year he won man of the match in a origin game at centre.

I'd love to have him back at the sharks.

bartman

Immortal
John Hodgson said:
Bai will leave at the end of the year, and Lee Smith will come into the side to replace him. McKenna May go and Jamie Peacock will replace him

Bold prediction re Peacock, do you think he'd leave Bradford? Do you think Leeds would need him with Botham becoming quite handy?

bartman

Immortal
Special K said:
When Leeds signed McKenna he was the QLD and Australian centre. That year he won man of the match in a origin game at centre.

I'd love to have him back at the sharks.
It might happen Special K - I think Jason Smith's success since returning to NRL (before last weekend's injury) would have made some of the older aussies in Superleague sit up and take notice.

But having said that I think Jason Smith is/always was a class above McKenna.

Latest posts