What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleary v Ponga

Panther_Daz

Staff member
On your comment about vision. Cleary had it so what happened if you think he doesn't? Is that a coaching thing or is he lacking confidence?

I don't think Cleary creates opportunities for his outside men very often.

Cleary often gets the ball, looks confused and passes it to whoever is nearest to him, often that person is standing flat footed.

I thought we looked the best we have had in a long time when he was out injured earlier this year.

OldPanther

Coach

Cleary often gets the ball, looks confused and passes it to whoever is nearest to him, often that person is standing flat footed.

I thought we looked the best we have had in a long time when he was out injured earlier this year.

Fair enough. I agree at times. Especially since the Raiders game.

We must be watching different games then. He creates a lot of opportunities in his games for the Panthers. In Origin he had quiet games, however, he did well.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
We must be watching different games then. He creates a lot of opportunities in his games for the Panthers. In Origin he had quiet games, however, he did well.

For a rep halfback, Cleary is actually quite low on try and line break assists.

mxlegend99

Referee
For a rep halfback, Cleary is actually quite low on try and line break assists.
His strike rate for both is higher than Maloneys at club level though.

Cleary has 5 try assists and 5 linebreak assists in 7 games.

Maloney has 8 try assists and 7 linebreak assists in 14 games.

Hes obviously not as confident in Origin yet. But he didnt let the team down and was good enough to be only the second 7 since Joey to win a series for NSW.

Pearce and A. Reynolds both combined with Maloney and couldn't win a series. So while he wasnt the man of the match. He was good enough

Last edited:

Xcalibre

Juniors
Haha is this the village idiot troll or seriously geniused?

Mid-way through Origin II and it is clear to see the dominance Cleary has over the game and those around him. He's very controlled. A 20 year old barking orders at origin hardmen like Prior, Frizell, etc, showing them the way.

Ponga has been on the field for about 20 minutes but his impact has been very minimal. In fact, NSW have scored all their points while Ponga has been injected into the game. He has been a disruption in the QLD defensive line and has had a few touched for minimal results. Some here think he's a generational talent, those who know football know otherwise.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Like I said before there is no contest between Cleary and Ponga. There's no contest with any player v Ponga.

If he can be consistently good over a few seasons or more and even improve (what a concept) he will be talked about as one of the goats. Freakish ability and mentality.

I can't remember what Joey was like at the same age. Did he have similar ability? I know JT didn't. He was elusive and skilful, but not to the level of KP.

TheFrog

Coach
Best thing is, he's signed up already for 5 more years at Newcastle
I think you'll find it was a 4 year deal starting this year and finishing in 2021. If they were to try to extend him now as an Origin player and superstar he'd cost them a LOT more than they paid, which was already substantial to say the least for a kid who'd only just made his first grade debut at the time the contract was signed.

I can't remember what Joey was like at the same age. Did he have similar ability? I know JT didn't. He was elusive and skilful, but not to the level of KP.

Players with similar natural talent at that age that I can recall are Greg Alexander and Benji Marshall. I think he's on a par with them at the same age, but you wouldn't have put either in the middle of the field doing the defensive work of a front rower in an Origin game. That was completely out of left field.

What I remember of Andrew Johns was that it took a few years for him to surpass his brother, so no he didn't burst on the scene like Ponga has.

Last edited:

Dave_

Juniors
I think you'll find it was a 4 year deal starting this year and finishing in 2021. If they were to try to extend him now as an Origin player and superstar he'd cost them a LOT more than they paid, which was already substantial to say the least for a kid who'd only just made his first grade debut at the time the contract was signed
They originally offered a 5 year deal...maybe it ended up 4. Either way, another 4 or 5 seasons at Newcastle and they are already upgrading and extending the deal. He's a Knight for life

TheFrog

Coach
They originally offered a 5 year deal...maybe it ended up 4. Either way, another 4 or 5 seasons at Newcastle and they are already upgrading and extending the deal. He's a Knight for life
Well you hope so, but it would pay to remember 2005. With Ponga, Pearce for half the season and a nondescript pack of forwards the side has won 6 from 15 games. Personally, I'd be getting some forwards and not upgrading Ponga for another couple of years or so. You just know the Roosters and Broncos are going to be waiting with chequebook in hand.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Lol...does it really hurt that much that the good guys have the best player in the league all wrapped up?
I'd much rather you have him than one of the glamour clubs, especially if it means you can't afford to buy forwards. Wrapping up Johns didn't do you much good in '05.

Dave_

Juniors
I'd much rather you have him than one of the glamour clubs. But wrapping up Johns didn't do you much good in '05.
There was plenty of things that didn't do us much good in '05...the inmates ran the asylum back then. It was a boys club until Brown took over. Keeping the GOAT wasn't close to our biggest problem at the time...because it wasn't a problem at all.

It was jobs for the boys from inception to Brown.

Latest posts