What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Club and Country concerning comment by Canadian Rep

The Partisan

Melbourne Storm squad member Ryley Jacks was a feature interview il last weeks 'BIG LEAGUE' magazine.

Found it a bit concerning (odd ?) in the last paragraph where Ryley is quoted as saying '.....

" There are Test matches at the end of the year, so I'll have to to check with Melbourne to see if they'll let me play....."

Would he be needing / wanting to make this statement if he was a possibility to rep for a country playing in the RLWC ? Especially one of the long standing 'traditional' test playing nations.

Is this the mindset of more (most ?) players eligible for emerging nations ?

adamkungl

Immortal
Melbourne Storm squad member Ryley Jacks was a feature interview il last weeks 'BIG LEAGUE' magazine.

Found it a bit concerning (odd ?) in the last paragraph where Ryley is quoted as saying '.....

" There are Test matches at the end of the year, so I'll have to to check with Melbourne to see if they'll let me play....."

Would he be needing / wanting to make this statement if he was a possibility to rep for a country playing in the RLWC ? Especially one of the long standing 'traditional' test playing nations.

Is this the mindset of more (most ?) players eligible for emerging nations ?

Same old.. Melbourne pays the bills so unfortunately they make the call. The RLIF has no real power to do anything about it and the NRL sure as shit won't care.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Same old.. Melbourne pays the bills so unfortunately they make the call. The RLIF has no real power to do anything about it and the NRL sure as shit won't care.

This is why im keen to see the NRL season reduced and the salary cap put on hold (the minimum wage slowly increased and all new funds for player salaries put into rep payments)...

Players would become desperate to represent every rep team they can, i think we will see less of players jumping between clubs when that becomes a smaller fragment of the over-all wage and players will be determined to behave themselves.

Plus, i just see so much more potential growth in International and representitive RL than Club footy. A single Origin game is worth a week of NRL, imagine of we could get the Kangaroos to a similar level, find the Indigenous Allstars a relevent opponent and expand the 9s concept.

THAT is where RL growth is....