What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clubs fear NRL can’t afford to expand

taipan

Referee
First and last rights effectively dumped from next TV deal no thanks to DG.Thanks to Gallop and his great:lol:TV deal,we were lumped with the clause and Nein has right royally rimmed/shafted us up the kyber ever since.Gallop's Tv contract legacy is so flipping wonderful.
No wonder they did not want Gallop involved in finalising the last deal.

The F&L rights was to be in place till 2027:crazy:,that'll show em hey um aah!

"Um Hey guys the code got a record Aus sport Tv deal 6 years for $500m.A couple of months later AFL gets $780m for 5 years.Yep that'll do me.

taipan

Referee
Or on your bike Moffet .
Gallop stayed 5 years too long.
We should have had the TV cash working 10 years ago for grassroots Trouble was there wasn't much to begin with.I blame global warming.

News ltd owned the f**king game.

Put Davey boy in that situation and he wouldn't even have the millions to hire other people to do his job.

taipan

Referee
News ltd owned the f**king game.

Put Davey boy in that situation and he wouldn't even have the millions to hire other people to do his job.

Actually half owned the game to be precise.
And they would still own the game with Gallop in charge.A mere puppet.

As a banker(Smith) would not let a media organisation own a Bank,let alone a sport.
Any wonder News journos have got the sh*ts with Smith & Co.The don't get the leaks they used to ,nor get the admin to bow at their every whim.Gallop and Bourbon are best buddies,go figure.

Oh the delusion.

There's no way Davey boy would have a media organisation tell him what to do... Lol. That would never happen...

Flapper

First Grade
You have literally ruined this conversation with your irrational, delusional, puzzling hatred of Dave Smith.

pHyR3

Juniors
smith got $600 million guaranteed funding for rectangular stadiums in sydney within 2 years.

gallop did absolutely nothing with the gvmt in his time

taipan

Referee
:BDH:

Troll alert with apparently all the answers.Dave Smith voodoo dolls are all the go.Welsh Bankers cause global warming.They make mistakes >who woulda thought.
More whining here than you get at Sydney airport.

Bring back Moffet ,Whittaker,and Gallop ,the game will reach for the stars.:crazy:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Back to the point! Two new teams is likely to cost the NRL in the region of $20-25million a year in extra costs. That doesn't sound like a lot of money to find to expand the game even in this tv deal. They finished with a surplus of $41mill last financial year.

taipan

Referee
Back to the point! Two new teams is likely to cost the NRL in the region of $20-25million a year in extra costs. That doesn't sound like a lot of money to find to expand the game even in this tv deal. They finished with a surplus of $41mill last financial year.

I agree ,especially if the NRL cracks at least $250m pa on their new Tv deal.The code needs more Dos and support for grassroots also,that costs money.

My current point of concern revolves around Perth.The mining industry is taking a tremendous hit ,with retrenchments,production cutbacks,mines closing.The dizzy heights once everywhere not now.Does that leave the Reds financially and support wise?

BuffaloRules

Coach
You wouldn't want to be paying much attention to how the Western Force are travelling at the moment over there as any sort of a guide to how an NRL team would do..

Geez... They are a basket case...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tbf they've been a basket case on the field since their inception. Off the field they are quite well run and have a great marketing team. They still get reasonable crowds despite losing nearly every week! If they ever put a winning team together they'll fill nib.

IMO it is probably better to start a club in times of austerity than times of boom. You can get a false sense of revenue when the economy is booming and run into serious problems when it cools down. At least starting at a tougher time you are more likely to be more realistic with budgets. I've been here 15 years now and seen two booms and two cool downs. It's the nature of Perth and any club here has to learn to be able to ride those waves.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is that what they're getting? Wasn't sure as they don't publish their crowds! I thought it was avg around 14k. In that case agreed they are shite lol. I don't suppose losing 8 in a row is helping lol.

Hopefully any future nrl club will also learn from their ridiculous ticket prices! Kids cost $20-50 and adults $35-75 plus $6 online buying fee. $35 to stand behind the sticks and watch that crap!

Last edited:

alien

Referee
I can't see the NRL moving the Titans or Knights but the other two clubs that have had serious money invested -Tigers and to a lesser extent Dragons could be a little nervous if the NRL decided it was to expand without adding teams.
The balance for Sydney would be two less teams

i was thinking about this the other day and alot of people would think that the nrl wanting a presence in the illawarra region would save the dragons from relocating, but if the dragons were to relcoate, then the sharks are close enough to take over the illawarra/south coast region

but who would take over the liverpool/macarthur regions if wests tigers were to relocate??? i bet penrith, parra and bulldogs would be fighting over the area...

Wellsy4HullFC

Juniors
Could they not demerge the Dragons and have Cronulla-Illawarra Sharks? (Although it would technically be the Cronulla-Sutherland-Illawarra Sharks, which I suppose would give a cool abbreviation of CSI Sharks!).

Wellsy4HullFC

Juniors
If they're going to relocate any of the Sydney Clubs, surely it would make sense to relocate Wests Tigers to Western Australia? They wouldn't even have to change the brand!

Latest posts