What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cnetral Coast Bears - the Momentum Builds and Builds

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Central Coast has about the same size population as Woollongong, so if they can't sustain a whole team, why will the CC be any more successful?

It's only just big enough to be considered for a side, and most people there probably already support another side.

Another Brisbane or South-East Queensland club would bring so much more.

Sorry to say, but the only thing in the Bears favour is nostalgia, and history shows that probably won't count for much in this modern world where even the die-hards parrot on about franchises, markets, products.
Hooray for uneducated opinions! A full bid with corporate support, over 1,000 memberships sold already... and a region that loves it's league.
The other issue that most people are missing is the desire by the NRL to fight the battle with the AFL

Bringing back the CC Bears - hits AFL and RU in its back door ie the North Shore - as past Bears supporters will come back in droves

It also bring the population and sponsorship of the Northern Sydney

And combine this with the nursery of the CC and the stadium the Bears built n Gosford - the fit is perfect for RL

Only a second Brisbane team could compare to this
Well said - the amount of support for Rugby League in this town is evident in the attendances, Mariners crowds (while I love the Mariners) just don't compare or have the same drawing power as RL games do.
I'd like to see a poll of CC RL fans about what their prefered option is. I have yet to see them have their say.

Loudtart, yes I'd rather we keep licenses up our sleeves for when we develop the rest of the country/region than have another club in an already saturated market where all the clubs are financially struggling now.
I love this argument about how it's all a saturated market.

When you look at population, about 7 million of Australia's 21-odd million live in NSW. It only makes sense the majority of teams are based out of there. Even more to the point, our teams are far more spread than AFL, who have a successful competition with strong crowds. Furthermore, the Central Coast is a known and passionate rugby league region with a massive nursery.

As for the question about a poll - at this point I would think it's redundant. The Bears bid is incredibly strong, a "competitive" bid from the same region would probably be untennable.

chunk

Juniors
The most important question for for the expansion of the game is,

"What new team could bring in the highest revenue for the game?"

Through support, merchandise, sponsorship and television.

Personally I'd have to say another QLD, NZ or Perth team would probably do this better than a Central Coast team.

mightybears

Bench
Again show me the evidence that RL fans turned to AFL or RU when the Bears where booted. Attendance figures, TV viewing figures, merchandise sales are all up since that time suggesting that in fact more fans are now supporting RL, not less.

They did to some extent.

I know a lot of Norths people that turned to AFL or soccer or union in a limited way [and a fair number said as much in a post yonks ago on dave's mightybears.com], not paid up Swans types, but come season 2000 we had no interest in watching league because we weren't there and the bastards that ruined it [yes degree of self infliction] were determined to put all the 'bitterness' behind them-rewrite history etc-ignore the crime scene.

I have family members and friends who gave football away completely, changed in a vague care less way who they supported, only watch origin, vaguely follow the waratahs, all of the above

I do not, and have not watched NRL since, and i remember in about 2003 or 04 watching a lions match on TV [never been then or since to AFL bar one free ticket match as a kid] and suddenly realising i'd missed football watching and this was a substitute for Norths on TV [i live in Qld, so watching premier league/nsw cup/second tier was not an option bar the occasional visit south, like the match v newtown at henson etc].

AFL is so less interesting, no personal history for me, never played it, dad never took me to the NSO equiv in the 1970's etc, and as i kid i can honestly never remember anyone in Sydney at school ever talking about it, but

They understand their history and respect what 90 years of branding meant, they think smarter than us, still. They 'moved' their less financially sucessful teams like South and Fitzroy to the new markets and keep the brand and history and support alive to a large extent [and should of wth North Melb to the GC]. Why is it that the Bears aren't the CCB's now or Adelaide arent the Jets, lack of vision, lack of understand that while money has always talked you need to draw a line on whats core and brand is alway core.

Timmah

Staff member
GCFC and GWS tsunami?

I just can't see it as big as some are making it out...

Perth Red

Post Whore
The CC is prime/core league demography, its a no brainer, its an obvious reconnect for the north shore, and to be honest i don't understand why you aren't 100% behind it for the obvious reason.

I recognise that if the CC gets a team then there is more chance of the Reds being admitted due to the NRL not wanting bye weeks and being able to sell an extra game a week. And I feel that I think a CC team will be succesful and the Bears are an obvious choice to be that team. There bid so far has been excellent and they are ticking all the right boxes.

However the fundamental problem I have is that I can't ever see the NRL going beyond 20 teams and imo the game over the next few decades needs to expand outside its NSW centric confines. If there are only 4 places left then I am loath to see one go to another NSW team and I get the feeling the NRL have similiar feelings. For me there are a possible 6 places outside of NSW we should be targetting to have clubs in over time.

Good luck to the Bears team, they are doing a great job and I won't be disappointed if the opening game of 2013 is WA Reds v CC Bears at a sold out Blue Tongue, I'd be there for sure!

chunk

Juniors
Unfortunately for the Bears is that the potential for growth is limited.

There may be a handful of people on the North Shore who would turn back to the game but no where near enough to support another team.

And people on the Central Coast already follow League or support a team.

A CC team would not bring that much more revenue to the game especially through the TV rights.

Perth Red

Post Whore

They understand their history and respect what 90 years of branding meant, they think smarter than us, still. They 'moved' their less financially sucessful teams like South and Fitzroy to the new markets and keep the brand and history and support alive to a large extent [and should of wth North Melb to the GC]. Why is it that the Bears aren't the CCB's now or Adelaide arent the Jets, lack of vision, lack of understand that while money has always talked you need to draw a line on whats core and brand is alway core.

well said, this I do totally agree with. If we are not in a position to have new teams in expansion areas then we should look at this as options for the future.

Timmah

Staff member
Rubbish :lol: what basis do you have for such an uninformed comment?
There may be a handful of people on the North Shore who would turn back to the game but no where near enough to support another team.
:? The team would be primarily based on the CC.
A lot of people on the Coast support the Knights casually because they're the closest thing to a local team. Having a team at Gosford would pique their interest. Not to mention fans of other clubs are quite happy to support the Bears. I'm a Canterbury supporter and member, but I've also purchased membership with the Bears. The region doesn't have a team in the game yet but there's already around 1,000 members.
A CC team would not bring that much more revenue to the game especially through the TV rights.
:? on what basis?

Blind Freddy

Juniors
I'd like to see a poll of CC RL fans about what their prefered option is. I have yet to see them have their say

I don't think the majority cares what the emblem is. It seems to me though that most want it to be the Bears and are ok with 90 years of history to evolve and spawn a new life. They just want a team (that isn't a relocation of a current NRL club) who will be their's full time to call their own.

Here's is what the Bears admin must strive to do, show to the CC that they are fully commited to the being part of the community. The Bears admin have done it so far pretty well.

Most on the CC would also know that this is probably the best option and chance since 1999 for them to have a full time team.

Last edited:

Copa

Bench
Serious Question - Do the people of the Central Coast want to be a resurrection of the Bears or do they want their own team? Is there a chance they might not be happy with essentially being a relocation of the NS Bears.
they'd prefer their own new team.. it would have a greater chance of success than shifting an entity there that has associations with a totally different part of the world..

Copa

Bench
The survey didn't support the Bears, it supported a "NRL team on the CC". That could mean the Bears, a relocation of an existing NRL team or a brand new team.
yup... if there were two rival bids from the CC ... and one was the bears and the other a new team started from scratch for the CC ... the locals would drop any support for the bears in a flash

Timmah

Staff member
You may well be right Copa, but as it stands there's no alternative bid. Are you against the Bears being the Coast's team given they were supposed to move here in 1999 anyway?

Loudstrat

Coach
I'd like to see a poll of CC RL fans about what their prefered option is. I have yet to see them have their say.

Loudtart, yes I'd rather we keep licenses up our sleeves for when we develop the rest of the country/region than have another club in an already saturated market where all the clubs are financially struggling now.

Saturated???? Where is the League on the Central Coast?

And ALL the clubs are financially struggling in NSW? :lol: You are delusional. You'd spin any crap to get Perth back in. Trouble is Perth and your other options would have to be supported, Melbourne like, by News Ltd. How the hell is that profitable? And don't spin me that "growing the game" garbage if we suddenly dump self sufficient clubs for new unprofitable ones.

YOU are holding expansion back by that rubbish!

mightybears

Bench
GCFC and GWS tsunami?

I just can't see it as big as some are making it out...

the AFL has this country's biggest sporting wallet, even its a decade of free passes for every school kid that went to a school that owns a sherrin, they will swamp us money/marketing wise.

mightybears

Bench
I recognise that if the CC gets a team then there is more chance of the Reds being admitted due to the NRL not wanting bye weeks and being able to sell an extra game a week. And I feel that I think a CC team will be succesful and the Bears are an obvious choice to be that team. There bid so far has been excellent and they are ticking all the right boxes.

However the fundamental problem I have is that I can't ever see the NRL going beyond 20 teams and imo the game over the next few decades needs to expand outside its NSW centric confines. If there are only 4 places left then I am loath to see one go to another NSW team and I get the feeling the NRL have similiar feelings. For me there are a possible 6 places outside of NSW we should be targetting to have clubs in over time.

Good luck to the Bears team, they are doing a great job and I won't be disappointed if the opening game of 2013 is WA Reds v CC Bears at a sold out Blue Tongue, I'd be there for sure!

What is your fifth & sixth? [Adelaide, CQ, PNG or South Island, NZ?], i agree re 20 teams, but i can't see past 4 viable options short to medium term anyway. The CC, Perth, SEQ/Brisbane II and Wellington are givens.

PNG would be nice, but unless the PNG and Australian governments and a big miner throws down a lot of cash and its gets special treatement to ensure Aussies go there to play-then its no hope.

CQ, Adelaide and South Island, NZ either miss a core support base or corporate and mid tier support [and the CQ team needs a Mackay not Rocky base].

mightybears

Bench

Not as limited as you think, and as there are about 15 on leagueunlimited alone that 'sorta, really were, closet, feel bad for changing' Bears fans, still pretending they never were!

People in Newcastle in 1987, Wollongong in 1981, Cronulla in 1967 etc supported another team. It would bring only a small increase in pay subs and ratings true, but with another 2 teams its another game to sell and a Bears team gives an instant away support, something the Cows, Tits esp still struggle with.

mightybears

Bench
like the tsunami last sunday

The GC will always be more meh-whatever the sport.

The AFL sold out the ground at Blacktown, doesn't matter if they gave away-very heavily promoted tickets. The more money and smarts they have, the more sex and drugs scandals we have in comparison to them, the more dollars and time they pump into schools-the more mum drives the kids to their code and not ours. Not saying GWS will seed in the first 5 years or anything but they plan long term, they need future fans/revenue streams outside the rust belts of the south and are willing to pay thru the nose to get it, unlike useless nothing non league fans types like Dangerous Dave Gallop.

West Logan way, outer Brisbane sprawl its the AFL throwing the money round, the others rely on their past, and assume.