What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach of the year

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Jumping the gun here but a huge possibility. If Mary gets the Saints into the top 4 at the end of the season would he be mentioned as a possible coach of the year?

If so that would be one of the biggest turnarounds from a coach we probably have witnessed.

Saints were picked to come last by some behind Newcastle don't forget.

Bellamy, Robinson, Bennett, Green are all there in the top 4 now but looking at their roster compared to Mary I would not give it to 1 of them IF Mary is in the top 4.

If Henry can snag a top 6 birth with all his injuries he would be a chance.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
My early bet would be Robinson.

Unlike Mary he has additional job of handling recruitment and retention on top of coaching and still does a stellar job.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I'm sticking my neck out but I must pay credit to Mary for having us mixing it with the top four or thereabouts.
Any person who knows sweet FA about coaching and can still get us right up the top must be alright!

Coach of the Year - McGregor
Player of the Year - McCrone

Minh

First Grade
Don't know about his technical expertise but Mary can surely build team morale and seems to be a good man manager. Credit where it's due and I think we are a big chance of the top 4 and he can get there he deserves to be at the pointy end of that discussion....

FlameThrower

Bench

Unlike Mary he has additional job of handling recruitment and retention on top of coaching and still does a stellar job.
Are you serious? They have unlimited TPA. A squad of Origin and Rep players, plus pick of the cream in 'other clubs' juniors...
A rebuilding year for Roosters is finding two more Rep players! Uncle Nick, has huge pockets and has poured heap of cash into that club.
I'd like to see Bellamy or Robinson take over a Knights team to see the results..
Sorry mate, can't agree at all with what you posted..

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Are you serious? They have unlimited TPA. A squad of Origin and Rep players, plus pick of the cream in 'other clubs' juniors...
A rebuilding year for Roosters is finding two more Rep players! Uncle Nick, has huge pockets and has poured heap of cash into that club.
I'd like to see Bellamy or Robinson take over a Knights team to see the results..
Sorry mate, can't agree at all with what you posted..

So you don't think Robinson is a contender for Coach of the Year?

Frank Facer

First Grade
IMO Barrett has better credentials than Mary at this stage of the season
Us and Manly are currently equal points on the ladder.That makes it pretty even, but we started the year off as second favourites for the spoon, so I think that puts Mary ahead right now. Our attack was pathetic last year, the second worst in the comp, I think. This year our attack is the best in the comp. lol I know, unbelievable. lol We have missed Widdop, when he comes back, we look like we can mix it with anyone in the comp. I think Mary would be favourite for coach of the year right now, with Barrett second favourite. If either us or Many can finish top 4, then their coach will win coach of the year.

Hawkins

Juniors

I am interested in this topic more. I guessed coaches had a say but figured clubs had scouts (expect Penrith cause Gus is omnipotent). Does each club expect different things for there coaches?

I mean I know the obvious Bellamy is responsible for coaching and assaulting any player not named, Cronk, Smith, Slater or Inglis.

And Jason Taylor handled coaching and stocking the drinks fridge.

But do we have a good idea of who does what?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
All jokes aside, I think Barrett is doing a very good job todate.
Limited knowledge and limited cattle .......... well done Trent.

Old Timer

Coach
Us and Manly are currently equal points on the ladder.That makes it pretty even, but we started the year off as second favourites for the spoon, so I think that puts Mary ahead right now. Our attack was pathetic last year, the second worst in the comp, I think. This year our attack is the best in the comp. lol I know, unbelievable. lol We have missed Widdop, when he comes back, we look like we can mix it with anyone in the comp. I think Mary would be favourite for coach of the year right now, with Barrett second favourite. If either us or Many can finish top 4, then their coach will win coach of the year.
Good points but Barrett was targeted as the 1st coach that was going to get the punt, so he has done incredibly well and Mary has the benefit of more time in the role.

Life's Good

Coach
I am interested in this topic more. I guessed coaches had a say but figured clubs had scouts (expect Penrith cause Gus is omnipotent). Does each club expect different things for there coaches?

I mean I know the obvious Bellamy is responsible for coaching and assaulting any player not named, Cronk, Smith, Slater or Inglis.

And Jason Taylor handled coaching and stocking the drinks fridge.

But do we have a good idea of who does what?
It depends on the club. Some give full authority to the coach(eg. Bennett, Bellamy, Green, Flanagan & Cleary). Others would be by a mix of coach, recruitment team(eg. Henry, Stuart, Brown & Maguire). Others coaches like Mary & Griffin would probably have less input. Not saying my points are correct by any means but I think it would cover how some of the recruitment & retention would be structured where coaches have varying degrees of authority.

mickeylane

Bench
IMO Barrett has better credentials than Mary at this stage of the season
on what basis?

Dragons leading point scoring team
Most tackle breaks
2nd best completion rate at 86%
plus we are 2 points ahead of them plus we smashed them by 20 points at Brooky!! how does Barret warrant being heralded a better coach at this stage of the season?

Crush

Coach
I find it highly amusing that in January this year I posted that I thought maybe Mary had some ability and got destroyed! OV said it was the single dumbest post ever on this forum bar none(not that I am holding on to that) and now there is a thread titled COACH OF THE YEAR.
Funny how things can turn around.
I think this thread is extremely premature but amusing none the less...

Old Timer

Coach
on what basis?

Most tackle breaks
plus we are 2 points ahead of them plus we smashed them by 20 points at Brooky!! how does Barret warrant being heralded a better coach at this stage of the season?
Simple
Mary has been at it longer and was considered by some as having a very bright future as a coach as was evidenced by officials at our own club.
Barrett was considered a dope and had no chance of surviving and would be replaced within a matter of weeks.
Now whilst some said the same of Mary, nobody ever said Barrett had any ability as a coach nor did the press exude any confidence in him he was criticised by everyone and by plenty in this place.
The Manly roster was ordinary, the club in huge turmoil and their key man DCE doing nothing right.
That has all changed, they are playing very well, DCE back into very good form and the club in the 8.
So on the basis that one was supposed to make it and the other one had no chance at all then Barrett has done exceedingly well to this point in time.
Last but not least Barrett has developed his squad making sure his youth is recognised and given every chance to excel and Mary certainly does not do that.
TT and his brother would still be in The Cutters at this club.

Crush

Coach
on what basis?

Most tackle breaks
Don't bother Mickeylane. Its pointless. Dragons could win the comp this year and the usual suspects will say it was a fluke. Mary had nothing to do with it. Oust Doust. It still doesnt make up for 5 years of failure.
I wonder how Objective View would react?
I reckon something like "the 2017 premiership is merely a faint pulse on this cold dead corpse that is the dragons. It changes nothing, now is the time we must oust doust and sack the coach"
What do you think? Something like that?

I find it highly amusing that in January this year I posted that I thought maybe Mary had some ability and got destroyed! OV said it was the single dumbest post ever on this forum bar none(not that I am holding on to that) and now there is a thread titled COACH OF THE YEAR.
Funny how things can turn around.
I think this thread is extremely premature but amusing none the less...

DOPE OF THE YEAR MORE LIKELY.

Straight Shooter