What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching merry go round.Could Des be a Dragon

Walpole

Juniors
I think with Hasler as coach we'd probably play a pretty similar "power" game, just with better use of the bench and more motivated players. He'd have got us the extra wins needed to be playing finals this year but...

I'd rather have a coach with some creativity, someone who might have the team playing with a bit more flair (obviously he'd need to find some outside backs for that), someone not quite as bogged down in running the same standard NRL plays over and over. I'd love to see Tony Smith given a go or JD come back but let's face it, it seems we're stuck with McGregor.

grouch

First Grade
A big no from me, do dragons want to go back to Bennett era with numerous back ended contracts, how long did it take to get out of that mess? Hasler has done this to manly & now the dogs, he couldn't give a rats arse about juniors - look how he has decimated the 2 previous clubs he has been the boss at
This is false. He did no such thing at Manly - they kept the squad reasonably in tact and kept making finals after he left. The only supposed (and arguable) "mess" at the Dogs is because they were gambling on the cap being higher. They took a punt.

Life's Good

Coach
A big no from me, do dragons want to go back to Bennett era with numerous back ended contracts, how long did it take to get out of that mess? Hasler has done this to manly & now the dogs, he couldn't give a rats arse about juniors - look how he has decimated the 2 previous clubs he has been the boss at
Welcome aboard. I agree that Millward is doing a good job on recruitment and seems to have an eye on the current situation and also an eye to the future(working to the lower cap figure which helped snare Graham).

On your point about Bennett, who are those players he backhanded that created 'that mess'??
Also, which players at Manly were back ended by Hasler?? I can only think of one being Watmough.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I still don't understand why Maguire got sacked. He is the man Saints should be chasing and I am hoping he does not sign with any other NRL club so Saints can have him as a standy if Mary starts 2018 bad.

When Madge had his key players on the field they won majority of their games. His loses are mostly due injury. Reynolds has been a tampon (in 1 week out for 3) since they won the GF. Inglis out all 2017. Sam Burgess has also had time away from the NRL since the GF and has taken time to get to his best. When he does he is another that gets injured a lot or is not 100% most games. When those 3 are on the field he wins 90% of the time. Also losing Issac Luke was a huge loss for Madge which he has not recovered from. Cook is their best No.9 but he has Farrah which is a cancer to any side. Farrah and Gallen are hogs and when the game is on the line won't pass so they can get the winning try or be part of the winning play. Show pony's.

TruSaint

Referee
I would take Dez any day of the week.

I wont judge him on a poor season at the Dogs, where he was given unrealistic targets, entered in a heads of agreement, only to be dumped by a board over their heads in Cap issues.

As to game management, i think his record speaks for itself, from Manly to Belmore. Always in the mix.

Like many, he may need a change of venue , as its appears the environment at the Dogs is toxic.

I have given Mary the benefit of the doubt for some time. To miss out on playoff footy, from the position we were in, shows me we need a change.

Problem i feel, is that Mary will see out his contract, and as a result we will be debating a new coach in vein. Cant see him getting sacked...

BennyV

Referee
Welcome aboard. I agree that Millward is doing a good job on recruitment and seems to have an eye on the current situation and also an eye to the future(working to the lower cap figure which helped snare Graham).

On your point about Bennett, who are those players he backhanded that created 'that mess'??
Also, which players at Manly were back ended by Hasler?? I can only think of one being Watmough.
Lol dont you listen? It's Bennett's fault that the club failed to capitalise on his success, failed to put succession plans in place to account for the aging and loss of key players like Boyd, Hornby, Smith and Weyman and signed/re-signed 2 dud coaches...

Also, Hasler's fault that Manly missed the semi's 3 years after he left them, despite the fact that all key players who played under Hasler had contracts come to a end in that time...

Life's Good

Coach
Lol dont you listen? It's Bennett's fault that the club failed to capitalise on his success, failed to put succession plans in place to account for the aging and loss of key players like Boyd, Hornby, Smith and Weyman and signed/re-signed 2 dud coaches...

Also, Hasler's fault that Manly missed the semi's 3 years after he left them, despite the fact that all key players who played under Hasler had contracts come to a end in that time...
Pink text can also apply outside of JA. Can't it??

sa1nt5

Juniors
well for me the one bright light about Mary is that he comes off contract at the same time as Browny and for me Browny should be our long term goal as coach he is someone that loves the jersey and he can coach pretty good too he built the roster that Bennett won a Grand Final with apart from Boyd, he took the dragons to second place in his second year just missing the Grand Final by one match he took Huddersfield to 1 st place and the Grand final in the pommy league won the premiership with St Helens in his second year was a coaching consultant and scout for the storm but mostly he loves this club. sign him for 10 years and be done with it.

sammythesaint

Juniors

Lol at fans who want coaches who finished behind us....whose teams are boring as shit....des overspent by one million for 2018, yes he had control of that! Maquire gets rid of sam teo, walker and isaac luke to resign burgess.....inside player revolt. Maquire keeps gi on the field with torn acl.....and they both finish behind us.... geezus, puhleeaaseee

possm

Coach
I still don't understand why Maguire got sacked. He is the man Saints should be chasing and I am hoping he does not sign with any other NRL club so Saints can have him as a standy if Mary starts 2018 bad.

When Madge had his key players on the field they won majority of their games. His loses are mostly due injury. Reynolds has been a tampon (in 1 week out for 3) since they won the GF. Inglis out all 2017. Sam Burgess has also had time away from the NRL since the GF and has taken time to get to his best. When he does he is another that gets injured a lot or is not 100% most games. When those 3 are on the field he wins 90% of the time. Also losing Issac Luke was a huge loss for Madge which he has not recovered from. Cook is their best No.9 but he has Farrah which is a cancer to any side. Farrah and Gallen are hogs and when the game is on the line won't pass so they can get the winning try or be part of the winning play. Show pony's.
I would welcome Madge as our coach however, we need the new coach to run the off-season program. To be competitive, we need a professional who can devise game plans to suit a particular game each week. Our players need to be drilled and combinations need to be formed.

BennyV

Referee
Lol at fans who want coaches who finished behind us....whose teams are boring as shit....des overspent by one million for 2018, yes he had control of that! Maquire gets rid of sam teo, walker and isaac luke to resign burgess.....inside player revolt. Maquire keeps gi on the field with torn acl.....and they both finish behind us.... geezus, puhleeaaseee
I dont know why you're working so hard to discourage better credentialed coaches - you know you're locked in for the next 2 years regardless of results, your mate Sean will see to that. Then all you need is to win a handful of games in 2019 to get another extension and head back to the pub...it will all be ok Paul!

dragonreddy

Juniors
I would take Dez any day of the week.

I wont judge him on a poor season at the Dogs, where he was given unrealistic targets, entered in a heads of agreement, only to be dumped by a board over their heads in Cap issues.

As to game management, i think his record speaks for itself, from Manly to Belmore. Always in the mix.

Like many, he may need a change of venue , as its appears the environment at the Dogs is toxic.

I have given Mary the benefit of the doubt for some time. To miss out on playoff footy, from the position we were in, shows me we need a change.

Problem i feel, is that Mary will see out his contract, and as a result we will be debating a new coach in vein. Cant see him getting sacked...

I reckon Hasler will be the new NSW blues coach.

sammythesaint

Juniors
I dont know why you're working so hard to discourage better credentialed coaches - you know you're locked in for the next 2 years regardless of results, your mate Sean will see to that. Then all you need is to win a handful of games in 2019 to get another extension and head back to the pub...it will all be ok Paul!
Because as much as mcgrexit stinks, so do hasler and madge.
Past 75 games proves they are no longer the goods.

Would not sign a player out of form for 3 years, nor a coach.

It would be like signing marys brothers.....no plan b from any of them, promote boring footy style, and players do not like them. (With a few exceptions)

We need a coach who is not stale in their thinking.

Got it now?

BennyV

Referee
Because as much as mcgrexit stinks, so do hasler and madge.
Past 75 games proves they are no longer the goods.

Would not sign a player out of form for 3 years, nor a coach.

It would be like signing marys brothers.....no plan b from any of them, promote boring footy style, and players do not like them. (With a few exceptions)

We need a coach who is not stale in their thinking.

Got it now?
People said the same thing about Bennett before he came here in 2009.
People on this very forum were saying that Robinson was a plank at the end of 2016, he's regrouped and taken his team to second.
Hell, I read some fools in here saying that Paul Green was shit because they nearly missed the finals, and that JT has made him look good.

I hope to hell that we sign one of these guys, they are genuinely light years ahead of McGregor. But we wont, because our club doesnt chase success. However, whoever does sign these guys will benefit, and the proof will be right there.

Bench
It's a no from me with Hasler. He had full control over recruitment and left Many in a hole when he went to the Bullgrubs.
Now he has left the Bullgrubs they are in the same position. It has also reported that he failed to bring Juniors through the ranks.

TruSaint

Referee
It's a no from me with Hasler. He had full control over recruitment and left Many in a hole when he went to the Bullgrubs.
Now he has left the Bullgrubs they are in the same position. It has also reported that he failed to bring Juniors through the ranks.

With respect, he got them to 2 GF's under his tenure.

As to him " leaving ", he was sacked, only months after being offered an extension.

The "family" club used all the family leverage to get rid of him.

Hasler joined the Bulldogs on 14 November 2011 as head coach for the 2012 NRL season.[7] He had immediate success as he took the club to finish eight places better than the previous season to the top of the ladder and collected the minor premiership. After impressive Qualifying Final and Preliminary Final wins; 16-10 over former club Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles and 32-8 over South Sydney Rabbitohs respectively, the Bulldogs were beaten in the Grand Final by the Melbourne Storm 14–4.[8] At the 2012 Dally M Awards Hasler was named the NRL's coach of the year.[9]

In the 2016 NRL Season Canterbury finished two places lower than the previous season as they finished in 7th place, the same position they managed to reach the Grand Final from two years earlier, but those hopes of a 2014 miracle repeat were crushed in the Qualifying-Elimination final where the Bulldogs after leading 6-4 at half-time but suffered a 28-12 defeat of the hands of the Penrith Panthers at the Sydney Football Stadium after which straight away Canterbury bowed out of the finals series.

On 19 September, it was announced by the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs that Hasler had been released.