What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Brothers bid

RUG13Y

Juniors
If Brothers get in, I hope they go for a green & white hoops or butchers stripes as an alternate jersey. I'd consider getting one.
I mainly hope that a historic brand like Brothers would be able to resist the lure of radical and ever changing jersey designs.

C'mon the Brethren!

I too hope that green is a factor. It'd look great.

juanfarkall

Coach
He means Valleys United Stars.

Valley United Stars later renamed as Bulimba Stars and play out of Bulimba/Balmoral.
FWIW they are now an Easts club (not because Valleys no longer exist at a senior level but because Easts apparently offered some money in exchange for their soul).
Cannon Hill Stars who wear green red and white have, to the best of my knowledge always been under Wynnum's umbrella and certainly were when I played against them in the 70's.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dont think its a good idea to play at multiple towns,

I think ideally they would play ten games at suncorp, two games in Darwin (pre season in Alice) and convince one or two Sydney teams to yake their games against them to CQ. They should leave Cairns to the Cowboys.

I reckon if NRL decide they want a second Brisbane team then including a proper representation and development plan for NT would be very attractive to the NRL I'm sure.

This bid could cover three areas which wouldn't be a bad thing.

RUG13Y

Juniors
I think ideally they would play ten games at suncorp, two games in Darwin (pre season in Alice) and convince one or two Sydney teams to yake their games against them to CQ. They should leave Cairns to the Cowboys.

I reckon if NRL decide they want a second Brisbane team then including a proper representation and development plan for NT would be very attractive to the NRL I'm sure.

This bid could cover three areas which wouldn't be a bad thing.

That is how I see it too

docbrown

Coach

I'd say that's pretty close to what they'd be aiming for. And given that NT & Central QLD are quite some time away from getting their own teams (if ever) it makes sense for the other Queensland teams to fill the gaps.

Darwin's an interesting question. You'd have to figure out how many games the NRL could play there (given its small population and climate) before they start self-cannibalizing and dragging down the crowd averages.

I'd also suggest that any plan for NT should also incorporate Cowboys and Pirates (as away teams) into the mix along with 1-2 smaller Sydney club hosting (maybe not the Eels in the long run, I can see them outgrowing it). Rather than just letting 1 club dominating the territory, the more teams with more members the better.

Garbler

Juniors

Ben Ikin is a muppet. Seriously looking out for he's own skin:

"I think support is more closely related to location than a badge on their shirt”

Does Ikin not understand Brothers will be representing many "locations" (plural); their clubs don't exist in space :crazy:

“What you have at the moment is people aligned with Brothers that currently support broncos and cowboys and if a Brothers franchise was introduced it would just strip away from the existing supporter base of those clubs”

Ahhh so the real reason Ikin doesn't like Brothers bid: competition for he's employers & families employers. If Apple had Ikin on their board they would never have released the iPhone with music playing capabilities given its potential to cannibalise their already successful iPod business.

“The drama the NRL faces is that the Brisbane Broncos are the strongest club financially in the competition and if you introduce a second team into the same market do you potentially weaken the strength?”

Ben Ikin clearly confusing drama with golden opportunity.

“The NRL needs a presence in the west that could be Perth I think it has to be Perth, I also think it could be Adelaide”

Ben Ikin throwing out two cities as far from he's employers as he can think of.

"I think the alignment from juniors through to the NRL is more geographical than anything.”

Doesn't Melbourne & Canberra have feeder clubs in QLD? Plus the geographical argument works for Brothers. Why would u join with Raiders if u come from Logan and you have a pathway to NRL in your local region?

In conclusion, Ikin is a muppet. Like all muppets arguing for protectionism that happens to favour he's own interests.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
there a few NRL clubs that take 2 home games on the road so it's not unusual to do so

I think the ideal strategy is for the NRL Commission to co-ordinate this more.

You could have each club aligned with a city or town without an NRL team where they play a couple of home games each year.

Some obvious examples would be..

Warriors: Wellington
Roosters: Central Coast (due to their feeder arrangement with Wyong)
Cowboys: Cairns
Storm: Tasmania or even Geelong.

But you could see others - and it's a good way for the NRL to have a real presence in places that won't get an NRL club of their own for some time, if ever.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I agree with this...

It would be great if the ARLC could put together a centralised comity to organise all of these games in "new areas".

You could have each club aligned with a city or town without an NRL team where they play a couple of home games each year.

But you could see others - and it's a good way for the NRL to have a real presence in places that won't get an NRL club of their own for some time, if ever.

This would be great with Sydney teams, but not so much with the teams that have cities to themselves...

Newcastle/Brisbane/Townsville/Canberra/Melbourne/Aukland all only get 12 games a year, whereas Sydney get over 100!! It may not be a great idea to move games out of these one-team markets will Sydney is still in triple digits.

It will also probably be considered too damaging for the NRL to kill off or move some a Sydney teams, but this kind of association (preferably made mandatory for all 9 Sydney clubs) would be perfect; model them off St George's association with wollongong, moving 2/3/4 games a year, or just taking a few low-drawing opponents to various areas that THEY attract crowds (Cowboys in Cairnes, Newcastle in Gosford, ect.).

This initiative could boost crowds (or at least boost community engagement without losing crowds), and it would increase the prestege of NRL games in Sydney (instead of 100 there may only be 70 and most of these will be Sydney derbies).

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brothers launch bid merchandise

10636149_582612685201438_4546520181426838846_n.jpg

pHyR3

Juniors

I personally think that's a great way to boost crowds, or at the very least include a bigger pool of people in the NRL sphere.

Have a 'regional' round or 'out of town' round and market the hell out of it every year. And take games like you've said but also others in more rural areas for 10-15k sellouts in Bathurst, Mckay, places like that as well as Cairns, Tas/Geelong, Darwin, Wellington, etc.

Loose Cannon

Bench
I personally think that's a great way to boost crowds, or at the very least include a bigger pool of people in the NRL sphere.

Have a 'regional' round or 'out of town' round and market the hell out of it every year. And take games like you've said but also others in more rural areas for 10-15k sellouts in Bathurst, Mckay, places like that as well as Cairns, Tas/Geelong, Darwin, Wellington, etc.

I'd rather not have it contested all in one weekend. Limiting the requirement to Sydney teams leaves 8 games per year to be "shopped around". In my opinion, St George Illawarra would not be required to do so given their situation, as long as adequate games were played in Wollongong.

That would mean one game taken to the bush averaging three weeks. Build it in that town for a month prior, with the teams spending the final week in town promoting the game. Would do wonders for expanding the game. If the home team then adopt that area as their recurring "second home" all the better.

The NRL should co-ordinate each game's promotion in co-operation with the home team, and encourage the visiting team to engage as well.

rabbitohs

Juniors

Adelaide thanks the Sharks and the Bulldogs for their 5/10 year commitments to an annual game....oh right they shat on us.

dimitri

First Grade
Adelaide thanks the Sharks and the Bulldogs for their 5/10 year commitments to an annual game....oh right they shat on us.

i think there were issues with afl putting money into adelaide oval redevelopment and not allowing nrl to be played

Latest posts