What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Brothers bid

wain

Juniors
i think there were issues with afl putting money into adelaide oval redevelopment and not allowing nrl to be played

From what I understand re bulldogs and Adelaide Oval redevelopment yep. Pretty sure cronulla just pulled the pin after 1 lousy effort, vs Nth Qld no less. Not exactly a match to interest the non-diehards.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I know this will upset the Fish faithful, but I reckon this bid is a bigger pipe dream than the CQ one.

I disagree. After location is decided, the defining factor will be the Brand/logo...

Everything else (corporate structure/employees/etc.) can be totally redone to the ARLCs design; hell, they will probably make an independent board a requirement of any new team as none of the bids have any real bargaining power.

People come and go, restructure happen and the only constant is the brand.

Youre right that the Confraternity probably wont be given the licence, but i can still see an independent franchise with the Brothers brand a likely choice.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Why would an entity with no association with the brothers choose to use their logo and why would brothers let them?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Thats like saying "why did Russel Crowe keep the Rabbit logo, seeing as he was creating a totally new corporate structure" or "whats the point of Apple keeping their brand now that Steve Jobs is dead"....

A brand means NOTHING to the corpoation and EVERYTHING to the customers. The Brothers brand has value in the Brisbane community and if the ARLC deem this to be the kind of branding they want for Brisbane2 franchise, then a poor bid behind it wont detract.

A new franchise would happily take this on because the ARLC can make it a stipulation; like i said before, these bidding groups have no power in these negotiations.

As for the Brothers giving it away, thats were the problems may arise. However, they would gain massive value just from the national exposure and the prestege the junior ranks would gain. And they could make stipulations on the brands usage (no changing logo/team jersey/colours/etc. without express permision from the Confraternity; basically the deal Tinks had with the branding when he bought the Knights)

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Thats like saying "why did Russel Crowe keep the Rabbit logo, seeing as he was creating a totally new corporate structure" or "whats the point of Apple keeping their brand now that Steve Jobs is dead"....

A brand means NOTHING to the corpoation and EVERYTHING to the customers. The Brothers brand has value in the Brisbane community and if the ARLC deem this to be the kind of branding they want for Brisbane2 franchise, then a poor bid behind it wont detract.

A new franchise would happily take this on because the ARLC can make it a stipulation; like i said before, these bidding groups have no power in these negotiations.

As for the Brothers giving it away, thats were the problems may arise. However, they would gain massive value just from the national exposure and the prestege the junior ranks would gain. And they could make stipulations on the brands usage (no changing logo/team jersey/colours/etc. without express permision from the Confraternity; basically the deal Tinks had with the branding when he bought the Knights)

The Brothers name has value in a comp like the BRL or Queensland Cup, not the NRL.

Besides, there's no way the NRL will force a name that automatically alienates some potential fans. You'd have more luck petitioning them to force a second Brisbane team to be called the SQ Crushers.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It's nothing like that at all. You've mentioned a hypothetical organisation using the logo of another organisation that they have no financial interest in. It's more like Russell Crowe buying into souths and deciding to use the eels logo.

The brothers logo and group also has negative connotations in the community.

Again, why would the 'Confraternity' give it's name to something it has no control over? What happens if a player playing for this hypothetical team or a crowd member does something that sullies the brothers name and? How would this promote the brothers?

There is nothing to gain from any party in your ludicrous and incongruous pie in the sky proposal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
While a Brothers NRL club would be based in Brisbane, Barlow said it was Brothers' large reach and unprecedented network to deliver a pathway from juniors to NRL that would allow them compete against the Broncos and other NRL clubs.
Although Brothers Maryborough is located 250km from Brisbane, Barlow, who helped build AFL club Gold Coast Suns, said you shouldn't underestimate the important role all Brothers chapters have in building a strong case for inclusion in the NRL.
"They're the most integral part in what we're doing," he said.
"Our strategy is we have to connect to the grassroots and that's for the betterment of rugby league, not just for the betterment of Brothers.
"We need to have the closest relationship that we can with our grassroots because in the end they're the people who support your business and drive your business further.
"For an NRL side, if you replicate what they have in Maryborough Brothers and replicate that around over 40 clubs over 17 cities and three states, you have a viable business and a viable NRL side."
The NRL is expected to expand the code in the coming years with the ARL Commission expected to narrow the field of expansion contenders in May next year.
While Suncorp Stadium will host the majority of Brothers' home games, Barlow said they would also play games in regional markets where there was a strong Brothers presence.
"We're not bound by geography, so we aren't just about delivering elite level rugby league and community initiatives to one region, we can deliver it to multiple regions," he said.
"The theory is we would play six to eight of our games at Suncorp Stadium so we've got access to the strong Brisbane fans and corporate market there, but we would take our remaining four to six matches to the regions.
http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/mboro-to-play-key-part-in-brothers-bid/2401650/

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The Brothers name has value in a comp like the BRL or Queensland Cup, not the NRL.

Kind of my point....

This brand has value in Brisbane and throughout Queensland, so a new NRL team based in this area would probably gain value from this awareness.

Besides, there's no way the NRL will force a name that automatically alienates some potential fans. You'd have more luck petitioning them to force a second Brisbane team to be called the SQ Crushers.

The brothers logo and group also has negative connotations in the community.

I genuinely dont understand why this is a problem...

Its like saying some Sydney people dont like Souths/Manly/Roosters/etc., so these teams should be removed. A large part of their value comes from being disliked.

Spector sport is based on Nationalism; "this is my team, and it just beat the team i hate...". To achieve an "Us" you need a "Them", You need delinquents to establish a norm.

If you want a brand that no one hates, youll have a team that no one loves (see: GWS, Titans, etc). Even if you do go with a "clean" image, it wont develop a rabid fanbase until it has alienated the opposition.

It's nothing like that at all. You've mentioned a hypothetical organisation using the logo of another organisation that they have no financial interest in. It's more like Russell Crowe buying into souths and deciding to use the eels logo.

Ok then, new question: Why do firms value and sell their brands as if they were independent commodities??

Because, if the company is de-solving or merging, they can sell it to a new firm to use. Customers will follow the band because that is all they see. If the Brother brand is deemed more valuable than some random name the board thought up, then it doesnt matter who is behind the brand, the brand is what the fans connect to.

Again, why would the 'Confraternity' give it's name to something it has no control over?

This is called "Franchising" (see: McDonalds or literally any other chain store).

The higher ups dont actually run the individual stores, they just gain royalties from the use of their image, and they still maintain a large degree of autonomy over its use.

What happens if a player playing for this hypothetical team or a crowd member does something that sullies the brothers name and? How would this promote the brothers?

...because the POTENTIAL of some peripheral incident damaging the brand makes it worth not joining the most watched Sporting League in the nation.

sure.

Perth Red

Post Whore
From Facebook:

2015 is fast approaching and it promises to be a big year for Brothers everywhere. With Logan Brothers entry into the BRL (more on this soon), the NRL's decision on expansion and the launch of Brothers FC, a fan club that unites all Brothers supporters.
10888763_617843201678386_7321977154671511786_n.jpg

oikee

Juniors
Everyone in Queensland recognise those stripes as Brothers.
Same as HullFC and their playing stripes.
Brothers is huge in Queensland, same as the Valley Diehards, who are making a return this year in the BRL.

oikee

Juniors
I like that little leprechaun on the front of the middle one,,,,hold on, that's the colonel. wtf.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I guess something like this wouldnt be too terrible, and youd get that difference...

png523_60.png

Swap the blue with the green then swap the white out for the orange from their logo and you've got a unique brand that wouldn't really clash with any other teams jerseys except the Rabbits if they don't make the orange light enough.

I understand why people don't want to change the historic branding, but they don't really have a choice. Another team with blue and white as their major colours just isn't sensible at this point.

Latest posts