What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentators are leading the anti ref sentiment.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The commentators aren't driving it. It's spoken about during the game and then left there.
The ones driving it are the refs themselves(on field, Bunker, Archer)for the continued howlers. Get those right and the problem goes away.

No, the problem is that a 50/50 call is treated like a clear-cut decision and the commentators wont drop the issue until they find something else to bitch about...

And if they arent death-ridding the refs, then they talk about how shit and unwatchable the game is becoming.

And if they have nothing to bitch about, they just ignore the game and talk about totally irelivent shit.

Its like tey WANT fans to hate the experience...

Life's Good

Coach
No, the problem is that a 50/50 call is treated like a clear-cut decision and the commentators wont drop the issue until they find something else to bitch about...

And if they arent death-ridding the refs, then they talk about how shit and unwatchable the game is becoming.

And if they have nothing to bitch about, they just ignore the game and talk about totally irelivent shit.

Its like tey WANT fans to hate the experience...

Ok so commentators should remain silent on the absolute clangers, which was the point I made. Ones like the Radradra triple knock on, Uate try vs. your mob, Tigers try vs. Manly too name a few?? As I said, if they get those right the 50/50 calls arent that big of an issue.

As for deathriding the game I don't get that impression from Fox during the game coverage(which is all that interests me as the other shows I can take or leave).

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ok so commentators should remain silent on the absolute clangers, which was the point I made. Ones like the Radradra triple knock on, Uate try vs. your mob, Tigers try vs. Manly too name a few?? As I said, if they get those right the 50/50 calls arent that big of an issue.

As for deathriding the game I don't get that impression from Fox during the game coverage(which is all that interests me as the other shows I can take or leave).

Im not saying they should be silent. Im saying that after they mention it they should f*cking let it go and move on.

Its one thing to hear a call was wrong. Its sonething else entirely to spend the next hour hearing about how the entire game is because pf this. And its another thing again to herethis every single time the ootball comes on

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
In the heat of the moment most fans blow up about shit calls (especially me!) but after the game most realise the reason they lost is the team wasnt good enough. The constant bullshit from the media has led to the current situation with 2 refs, bunkers, etc. The constant stoppages reduce the impact of fatigue, which leads to other issues. I would like to see one ref, no video ref, and just accept that sometimes things might get buggered up

For me, the absolute wirst is when the Nrl actually give in to the whinging only to have the commentators saying "this new rule is shit, we should change it back"

simmo05

Bench
For me, the absolute wirst is when the Nrl actually give in to the whinging only to have the commentators saying "this new rule is shit, we should change it back"
Thats why the game is nearly unrecognisable to how it was played even 20 years ago. Constant fiddling with the rules. And the one huge blight the nrl should be doing every thing they can to fix, wrestling, they have done f**k all about

taipan

Referee
Thats why the game is nearly unrecognisable to how it was played even 20 years ago. Constant fiddling with the rules. And the one huge blight the nrl should be doing every thing they can to fix, wrestling, they have done f**k all about

Seriously we have some crap refs at times now, but some of those 20 years ago woudn't have passed muster.We changed the major rules years ago with unlimited ,4 tackle,6 tackle .
We need to get rid of the flipping wrestling for starters.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Listen to commentary from the 80's and early 90's, you don't get the bs comments and ref bagging you get now a days and it was all the better for it.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

This kind of conplaint is the problem. You say you want to get rid of something, yet you don consider the consiquences. The when you get your way, you complain and tellthem to change it back...

Wrestling is shit to watch, but it slows the ruck an forces teams to break te line with lateral movement. Let teams jump up quick to play it and the game will jus be dummyhalf running.

The other that gets me is people complaining about blockers on kicks. I think its good that teams cant just bomb it up and have a decent chance of scoring. Blockers force the attack to draw the defence in an create space around the edges.

Some of these suggested rule changes would make the game shit, but the people complaining do think about the consiquences...

Life's Good

Coach
Im not saying they should be silent. Im saying that after they mention it they should f*cking let it go and move on.

Its one thing to hear a call was wrong. Its sonething else entirely to spend the next hour hearing about how the entire game is because pf this. And its another thing again to herethis every single time the ootball comes on
Honestly, you're exaggerating on the 'next hour' thing.
Not sure if you watch on Fox or 9 but on Fox the carry on may be in the follow up shows but not during the coverage.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
The problem with Gould is how long he bangs on about negative things - whether ref's calls or player mistakes. By all means call errors, but for what feels like 10 minutes afterwards to still be talking about it is really jarring. One thing Union commentators tend to be much better at IMO is being positive about even the smallest thing. They - shock, horror - actually seem to want to talk up their sport, no matter how dire it is.

tripster

Juniors
The problem with Gould is how long he bangs on about negative things - whether ref's calls or player mistakes. By all means call errors, but for what feels like 10 minutes afterwards to still be talking about it is really jarring. One thing Union commentators tend to be much better at IMO is being positive about even the smallest thing. They - shock, horror - actually seem to want to talk up their sport, no matter how dire it is.

True. The other thing about Union is that the refs never cop anywhere near as much flack from commentators (on TV or in the paper). The refs in Union make just as many mistakes, but no one ever dwells on it. Similarly in English Super League. Constantly hammering the referees appears to very much be an NRL thing.

kbw

Bench
Alexander is biased towards Penrith, but he is open about it and I don't see it as an issue.
I actually think his biggest bias is the game, he just loves it.

On the original topic, our commentators do spend too much time criticising decisions on the field. Ch9 are the worst at it and they probably have a worse record than the referees at getting it right.

Last year I decided to listen to this aspect of other sports commentary. AFL and the NFL were the same.
The mention a refs mistake make maybe one comment then move on. They don't sensationalise it. It leads to a much better commentary of the game.