What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission urged to get ball rolling on NRL expansion

Perth Red

Post Whore
The bid team trying to bring a second rugby league team to Brisbane has called on the NRL and the game's new commission to open the door for official tenders.
The game's chief executive David Gallop has put discussions regarding expansion on the backburner with the code focussing on the beginning of the new Rugby League Commission and its crucial broadcast rights deal for the 2013 season and onwards.
But Brisbane Bombers bid director Craig Davison says the NRL needs to start executing plans as early as this year if it is serious about viable expansion and matching the growth of the AFL into new markets.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-...olling-on-nrl-expansion/3823594?section=sport

alien

Referee
Is it possible for the new clubs to enter the NRL in 2014 if they decide who the new clubs will be at the end of this year? Have they actually said that they would only let 2 new teams in at a time?

Beowulf

Juniors
Is it possible for the new clubs to enter the NRL in 2014 if they decide who the new clubs will be at the end of this year? Have they actually said that they would only let 2 new teams in at a time?

No and its one thing the Bears have said they are capable of handling. As per the AFL, enter Bears in 2014 as they don't need much setup time other than for contracting, and another in 2015. The Optus case may delay things to the point where 2014 is unachievable however....

docbrown

Coach
I'd say the cut off point for entry in 2015 is probably at the very latest mid way through next year - you need a minimum of 18 months.

The broadcast deal is going to take up a chunk of this year. They need to make an allowance for a 9th game to form 3 of the 5 years of the contract - which means they can inform bid teams by the 1st of May that the tender is open. Set a cut off of the 31st of December - 8 months - to finalise bids and for tenders to be submitted. If they don't drag their heals a decision could be made around March/April next year on which teams enter giving them 8 months of initial prep plus 20 months of confirmed prep for at least 2 teams.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they called for bids in March and announced the succesful ones in July then yes two teams could be ready for 2014. At the end of the day the succesful bids will already have significant corporate support lined up, stadium deals in place and would just need to recruit players, coaches and back room staff and get members signed up. No reason they couldn't do that over an 18 month period. Sadly I can't see the ARLC being that proactive given what Gallop an now Grant have been saying.

All of the bids have been working on their applications for months, and in some cases years, so they shouldn't need long to finalise them.

As for the TV deal, expect that to be in please early June so they can incorproate it in the 2012-13 budget from July 1st for the ARLC.

Last edited:

alien

Referee
theres too many sydney teams. relocate sharks to adelaide, rabbitohs to perth. bring in central coast bears & brisbane bombers. theres 18 teams. manly might relocate to sunshine coast one day if they run out of cash

Craig Davison can wait like everyone else is. He wants to ball rolling ASAP because Billy Rae left and it's only a matter of time before his depatures starts eating away at the bid.

docbrown

Coach
If they called for bids in March and announced the succesful ones in July then yes two teams could be ready for 2014. At the end of the day the succesful bids will already have significant corporate support lined up, stadium deals in place and would just need to recruit players, coaches and back room staff and get members signed up. No reason they couldn't do that over an 18 month period. Sadly I can't see the ARLC being that proactive given what Gallop an now Grant have been saying.

All of the bids have been working on their applications for months, and in some cases years, so they shouldn't need long to finalise them.

As for the TV deal, expect that to be in please early June so they can incorproate it in the 2012-13 budget from July 1st for the ARLC.

My feeling is that they'd only announce a potential 9th game after the initial 90 days so I doubt March would happen.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh me too. I think they know now what they want and will no doubt be pitching a 9th game to TV execs for 2015 onwards. I can see the TV deal announced in May and a call for expansion bids in June, bids in by September and an announcement end of 2012 for inclusion in 2015. That's the way I see it going.

docbrown

Coach
I think the call for bids will occur during the actual broadcast negotiation process to drive up the game's publicity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
not so sure Doc, if they called for bids in March or April then in theory that process should only take 3 months or so meaning they could announce expansion places by June meaning there would be 18 months lead in for a 2014 start. If they leave it till later in the year they will justify a further delay to a 2015 start by claiming clubs won't have the mythical 18 months before KO 2014.

docbrown

Coach
not so sure Doc, if they called for bids in March or April then in theory that process should only take 3 months or so meaning they could announce expansion places by June meaning there would be 18 months lead in for a 2014 start. If they leave it till later in the year they will justify a further delay to a 2015 start by claiming clubs won't have the mythical 18 months before KO 2014.

My guess is expansion will be confirmed in May 2012 with teams to be announced by April 2013 at the latest for entry in March 2015.

newman

First Grade

They themselves dont have a timeline, thus they dont know when (or if) they will call for bids. Bit early to be speculating.

Digga Hole

Juniors
I think the call for bids will occur during the actual broadcast negotiation process to drive up the game's publicity.

I would think that they will ask the broadcasters for varying bids based on different expansion locations. Which ever ones the broadcasters will pay the most for will be the locations.

Bids will then only be taken from these areas.

legend

Coach
I guarantee there will be no new teams in 014 at the behest of the 16 current teams. They want to have a larger slice of the pie for at least two seasons (2013-2014). The due dilligence process would be much longer than three months. It would take almost a year to evaluate all the bids IMO and then two years to assemble the club from scratch.

RedVee

First Grade
I think the media negotiations will 'suggest' the location of any expansion teams.

LESStar58

Referee
So this sage bloke is worth 800 mil and wants to bankroll a Perth side? Its a no brainer. The guy owns 13 mining companies so obviously knows how to run a business. Give him a 2015 start date, let him get his house in order and let's move on this. This is someone who WANTS to be involved! AFL has had people like this for years but we never seem interested in letting these guys play! It needs to change.

Latest posts