What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commonwealth Games 9's - Redcliffe 2018 / Policy / process for team selections ?

Stallion

First Grade
The problem is within RL.
South Africa openly stated their intention to participate. But were they given the opportunity? Far as anyone can tell the competition was locked at 8 nations for reasons unknown, and those 8 are the usual suspects from Oceania and the UK. If NZ bothered to participate I suspect Wales would have been given the boot or something.

Yes. Completely agree. RL is being hampered from within its own administration. All one has to look at is the recent world cup scheduling debacle! Thank god the football was great!

The Partisan

Well the 2014 Cmwlth RL9's were held a month before the Games ....and this event only 5 / 6 weeks ahead...so it is not that much of a drama in my opinion.

Admittedly they were held closer to the host city of Glasgow. North Larkinshire (?) ....which is roughly 30 mins away from Glasgow according to good old Google Maps ! 90 mins Gold Coast to Redcliffe .....ok in my books. (Though obviously not as good public transport wise. However the UK is a lot more compact than Oz )

Having a wee bit of an insight into the logistics behind the Games ....I'd say the GCCG organisers and various other major stakeholders (e.g. public safety and emergency services) are quite happy to have an event elsewhere at a different time.

Re the number of teams. I believe it is a 'user pays own costs' comp so that may have had a bearing as well. To be honest ...even if we had 16 teams playing I'm sure some countries mentioned in this thread would still not get a gig.

As for TV coverage ....the two 2nd tier comps in Oz get one game a week televised and the NSW version only getting free to air this year.

Enjoy this comp for what it is ....and let it be a catalyst for growth.

Will i see you there ?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-29/png-beats-aus-in-rugby-commonwealth-championships/5558446

paulmac

Juniors
Even if it was user pays you could draw most of the pacific teams plus Malta from players playing in Australian competitions,that’s 11 teams right there.Meaning the main costs would come from flying in 5 teams from Jamaica,Canada,Sth Africa,England & Wales. A low cost 16 nation event with a global spread.

Stallion

First Grade
Not really a global spread if you have majority australian teams...

Got to start somewhere? ! We know it's not perfect and you are right it should be widespread. But their are a number of reasons why the code is not widespread. So starting off, no matter how fragile, is better than nothing.

latingringo101

Juniors
Even if it was user pays you could draw most of the pacific teams plus Malta from players playing in Australian competitions,that’s 11 teams right there.Meaning the main costs would come from flying in 5 teams from Jamaica,Canada,Sth Africa,England & Wales. A low cost 16 nation event with a global spread.

Its interesting, they've increased the number of teams and included (both males and females teams) but notable decrease in number of teams.

Hopefully for 2022 they'll get the balance right and much more fairer.

T-Boon

Coach
The RLIF or whoever is organising this should at least see if seven, ten or fox want to cover the Jillaroos games. They are the best womens rugby team on the planet and would school the NZ ferns at either code.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Got to start somewhere? ! We know it's not perfect and you are right it should be widespread. But their are a number of reasons why the code is not widespread. So starting off, no matter how fragile, is better than nothing.

But we're not just "starting."

Those that are developing locally should be rewarded. But if you're making them pay for everything, why would you want to compete?

Stallion

First Grade
But we're not just "starting."

Those that are developing locally should be rewarded. But if you're making them pay for everything, why would you want to compete?

And yes very valid! I wasn't aware of the cost factor. Its another example of the missallocation and poor investment of funds within the administration.

The Partisan

Beat me to it ECT !

Interesting ...and good on them ... for selecting a Community Game based team. Be nice to see Australia do something similar with kids from various parts of the country getting a go.

Stallion

First Grade
Wonder when the Australian squad will be announced? Hopefully they (the NRL)will give it decent publicity.

T-Boon

Coach
I'd like to see a heavy indigenous representation in the team. Why not give a guy like Chris Sandow an opportunity. He would be awesome in the nines.

Latest posts