What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaining about Channel 9

Nook

Bench
While alot of the whinging about Channel 9's coverage (or lack thereof) of League is well-meaning, I think its time people started to look a little closer at the issue rather than taking the easy option and bagging the station continuously.

Most aspects of 9's coverage of the footy are contractually arranged - like the number of games they can show each weekend, and when. Often, it isn't a case of the station doing the bare minimum to satisfy fans, but rather doing what has been contractually arranged in negotiations with the NRL.

A major gripe seems to be 9's steadfast refusal to televise League interstate. Obviously, this is very frustrating for interstate fans, and for the majority of League supporters, who would love nothing more than to see TGG receive the exposure it needs in the South and West in order to grow nationally.
That said, we have to remember that 9 isn't some generous, well-meaning organisation which will selflessly offer itself up to the cause of spreading the Rugby League gospel. I wish it was, but it isn't. When Channel 9 refuses to broadcast the GF or State of Origin matches at a reasonable hour in VIC, SA and WA, its motivation is purely commercial. It is, after all, after a profit (personally, I blame capitalism). If showing reruns of Gilligan's Island instead of the football is going to attract more advertising dollars, then 9's decision to broadcast them is commercially justifiable. Sure, we might think the decision stinks, but we should see the logic in its reasoning.

We can argue, correctly, that 9 is being myopic in its refusal to assist in the development of interstate markets for league. But as far as laying the blame for the lack of League coverage, we should be looking towards Fox Studios rather than Willoughby. It is the NRL's responsibility to ensure that the game is televised appropriately, not 9's. The NRL has to drive a harder bargain next time the rights come up. If we get to the stage where grandfinals are attracting a truly national audience of 3 million, it will be due to the NRL's sucess in simultaneously creating demand in other states, and agreeing to a means by which such demand can be satisfied. Constantly blaming the station is just missing the point.

ibeme

First Grade
I agree! I'd love to see the game thrive nationally, but that's up to the sports governing body, not the host broadcaster. The NRL need to look beyond simply securing a broadcaster, and towards securing broadcast conditions that will best promote the game. When the current contract expires, I think (hope) the NRL will be a lot wiser in their negotiations. They should have a lot more bargaining power also with Channel 7 looking for a major sport to host.

dimitri

First Grade
channel 9 is crap

but so is 7

it is defintely up to the nrl to ensure in the contracts that they get a much much better deal NATIONWIDE

Poida_Raider

Bench
channel 9 is the best channel there is.. on FTA.. i'd love to see a satdy game, preview and review show, one day. but the dudes right, they can only do so much with what they get.
hey Nook, you work for 9 dont ya!!?

Nook

Bench
Nah. I wish. Somewhere in Sports, Cricket in summer, League in winter. Amen.

I reckon that if the NRL combines a new deal which forces 9 (or whoever they sign up with) to broadcast more games in more areas and a program of creating interest through interstate trial, NRL and representative fixtures, we will be onto a winner.

As far as other stations go... do we really want Brrrrruce calling the League? And Ten's coverage of the AFL, while...enthusiastic, is sometimes downright embarrassing. That intro to the finals with the Premiers playing poker? My God. The only other way to go is a full pay-TV setup, possibly with FTA telecasts of the really big games, as they have had in England in the past (I think.) But the current split between pay and free seems pretty good to me, given how hard it is to reconcile the demands of News Ltd with the claims that more games need to be shown FTA because many people can't afford increasingly expensive pay TV.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Who said 7 and 10 even WANT the NRL? I've never seen anywhere where they have said they wanted the rights. Maybe that's why the NRL sign lousy deals with 9? They're the only station that wants it?

And as for blaming the NRL and NOT 9, what kind of station is it that only wants to show limited(relative to other major sports like AFL) coverage of games anyway?

Station's in VIC WANT the AFL. And they'll pay big money for it. And they promote it as best they can.

9 in Sydney seem to have hidden agenda's when it comes to Rugby League. What it is, nobody knows except them.

But I have a bad feeling that in the future, it AIN'T gunna be good for the game.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
It's all about commercials and attracting the required numbers to watch them and hopefully get them to run out and buy the product. Nothing more, nothing less.

Unfortunately, despite the odd howl of discontent, rugby league probably is outrated by Gilligans Island in AFL obsessed Victoria (and SA/WA).

This raises another question. Why is there a team in Melbourne anyway? Their crowds are ordinary which has to be about the only barometer worth looking at.

The game would be better served with another team/s in say the Central Coast/Gold Coast or even Wellington NZ.

greeneyed

First Grade
Yes, the current contracts allow Channel 9 to get away with what they presently do. It will be up to the NRL to insist on some decent conditions in the next contract, whichever channel gets the rights. And if that doesn't involve some decent national coverage, leading to teams in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, we will die as a sport. The Central Coast is simply a joke idea as a centre for a team.

Surandy

Bench
Gunna Matter said:
This raises another question. Why is there a team in Melbourne anyway? Their crowds are ordinary which has to be about the only barometer worth looking at.

The game would be better served with another team/s in say the Central Coast/Gold Coast or even Wellington NZ.

Our crowds might be "ordinary" but by your rationale does this mean the NRL should get rid of all teams with "ordinary" crowds?

Storm's average crowds (at home) since inception:

2003: 9,626 (Graveyard still but Bellamy's first year as coach of Storm)
2002: 9,088 (back at the Graveyard but with Murray as coach)
2001: 11,969 (at Colonial, now know as Telstra Dome)
2000: 14,622 (includes 2 games at the MCG)
1999: 12,902 (does not include home final crowd of 15,653)
1998: 12,716 (does not include two home final crowds of 18,247 & 12,592)

Average crowds (home & away / home only) for each team in 2003:

Brisbane: 19,833 / 24,326
Canberra: 13,493 / 13,422
Canterbury: 18,837 / 21,117
Cronulla: 12,466 / 12,892
Easts: 16,656 / 16,100
Manly: 12,128 / 10,367
Melbourne: 10,628 / 9,626
New Zealand: 16,084 / 16,842
Newcastle: 17,518 / 18,298
North Qld: 12,790 / 14,892
Parramatta: 14,762 / 11,262
Penrith: 15,906 / 17,771
Souths 11,995 / 9,380
St George Illawarra 17,165 / 13,061
Wests Tigers: 13,065 / 8,993

Compare this to average H&A crowd since inception of:

Adelaide: 9,816
Gold Coast: 8,180
Melbourne: 12,107
Northern Eagles: 11,376 (only counting years as merged entity)
South Queensland: 11,800
St George Illawarra: 15,805 (only counting years as merged entity)
Western Reds: 10,644
Wests Tigers: 12,915 (only counting years as merged entity)

Surandy

Dog-E

Juniors
Poida_Raider said:
channel 9 is the best channel there is.. on FTA..

LMAO - Priceless!!! And exactly WHAT competition do they have on FTA TV pray tell????

That's all well & good a staement...5 years AGO!!!

The fact is hough, that they ARE in a dogfight with Pay-TV for their audience....And losing it week by week BADLY!!!

And IF they gave a toss - that should just NOT be so! Full stop.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Surandy I am talking about the second biggest city in the land with ONE rugby league team which struggles to draw any interest. The fact is Melbourne does not care about league. Don't blame me for telling the truth. Try telling the 9 board how the Storms measly fan base deserves prime time viewing. You would be laughed out of the place.

Sydney has EIGHT teams. I agree. This is stupid but the high court saw things a bit differently. They let Souths back in the comp.

If I had my way I would force at least two clubs from Sydney to move to the Central Coast and the Gold Coast.

Both areas have the infrastructure and fan base to sustain a team each.

Anyway. At the end of the day the bean counters will win the day.

yakstorm

First Grade
What alot of people forget is at the time of the negoiations, Channel 7 were in a period of restructuring and were struggling financially (the AFL almost cancelled their deal with them) and Channel 10 well were bankrupt, Channel 9 controlled all the cards, and the NRL just agreed to what they could at the time.

ali

Bench
What pisses me off with 9 is that they aren't even trying to see if League could be a ratings winner in the southern states. Seven atleast gave a go at promoting AFL in Sydney and probably got some good returns out of some Swans games. They are now trying the same with the Union and probably got a few good returns out of the Bledisloe Cup, World Cup Opening and World Cup final.

If they hadn't been promoting Union in those states ever since they got the rights, they would have missed out on the good ratings from those events last year.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
I don't care.

I have Foxtel.

Me to. Have you seen the new digital business coming in March. You can choose your own camera angles and all sorts of new stuff.

I have registered my expression of interest. Of interest is a "Migration fee" they will be charging existing subscribers to switch over. Also of interest is the statement that the current analogue system will eventually "fade away".

Surandy

Bench
Gunna Matter said:
Surandy I am talking about the second biggest city in the land with ONE rugby league team which struggles to draw any interest. The fact is Melbourne does not care about league. Don't blame me for telling the truth. Try telling the 9 board how the Storms measly fan base deserves prime time viewing. You would be laughed out of the place.

Sydney has EIGHT teams. I agree. This is stupid but the high court saw things a bit differently. They let Souths back in the comp.

If I had my way I would force at least two clubs from Sydney to move to the Central Coast and the Gold Coast.

Both areas have the infrastructure and fan base to sustain a team each.

Anyway. At the end of the day the bean counters will win the day.

Gunna Matter: The 2nd biggest city with the biggest Aussie Rules following. The media down here don't want the Storm to be popular. A lot of people in Melbourne do care about the Storm. I see more people wearing Storm gear than wearing AFL gear, except when AFL games are actually being played. Also, after every home game I get asked heaps by total strangers if the Storm won.

The Storm supporters club is even organising a bus to travel to Wagga for the practice match against the Raiders at the end of this month.

Gold Coast has the fan base? Where were they for home matches when they had a team? See my figures above for crowd figures.

I just wished the 2004 season would hurry up and start!!!

Surandy

AuckMel

Bench
Maybe a good idea for Melbourne, would be a one hour highlights package played on a tuesday or wednesday night.

Grab all the great moments (and there would be plenty of them) out of the weekends games and put them on at a reasonable time.